• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v how to properly tension the belt?

91_740Turbo

So the 16v project is almost ready to be dropped in the car, and I think I've finally gotten the poor mans belt tensioner setup to a point where I'm not paranoid of it failing. The only thing is, how do I know I have the right amount of tension on the belt? 850 Timing belt with a golf tensioner and the idler pulley relocated. Also those of you running the golf tensioner, what did you use to space the tensioner out enough?

I saw this video online, I guess its a good guideline.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuBp85bzfnM

90 degree twist of the belt at it's longest stretch. That's how it was done on my old water cooled VW's.

i would run the factory roller on the side of the head rather than that contraption. you want to have the belt wrap around the cam gear as much as possible, theres no gain in moving that pressure down.

i would run the factory roller on the side of the head rather than that contraption. you want to have the belt wrap around the cam gear as much as possible, theres no gain in moving that pressure down.

If the timing belt had a few less teeth I would agree, but I had the idler pulley there before, and I had to have the tensioner maxed out at its highest tension point and the gears would slip if I tried to spin it from the cam gears or the aux shaft gear. With the Idler pulley where it is at right now the tensioner isn't maxed out and the belt is way tighter then it was before.

And if you snap a belt due to bad design, or improper tensioning, then its not going to be cheap. The Yoshifab stuff was well thought through.

What you should use is a 146 toothed belt like VOLVO designed for there 16v heads they put on boats... I got some from ebay UK. I can't remember off had what car they come from but it's some weird one. I will look for the link. I paid $15 for the 146 tooth belt. You won't need a idler with it..

Dayco 146 RP 240 94229 made in E.E.C.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dayco-Cam...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53fd64e2bd

CONTINENTAL Part Number: CT540 Corss reference to the following Suppliers/Manufacturer
AE TB224
AUTO-DELTA TB882
BALCO BTB1130
BOSCH 1987949045
CONTINENTAL CT540
DAYCO 146SP240
DAYCO 94229
FIRSTLINE FTB3432
GATES 5129
GOODYEAR G1270
LUCAS KCB155
MASTERPARTS MTB46
MOPROD MTB130
MOTAQUIP VTB229
OPEL 636364
OPEL 636563
OPEL 90281312
OPEL 90410784
POWERTRAIN PMTB52
QUINTON HAZELL QTB199
ROVER GROUP GTB1129
TRW - FEDERAL MOGUL 4829629
ULTRAPARTS UTB1312
UNIPART GTB1129
VAUXHALL 90281312
VAUXHALL 90410784
VEGEM VT177
FAI 45146

They are 24mm wide. I bought the yoshifab and the kevlar belt from yoshi, but I am not going to use it after seeing the problems others have had with the yoshifab kit. I will be putting the yoshifab kit I have up for sale here soon...

Simon

Last edited:
what problem is that? aside from Derrick, who has had problems with the yoshifab unit?

I'm running two of them currently...

what problem is that? aside from Derrick, who has had problems with the yoshifab unit?

I'm running two of them currently...

We'll locals here have that problem where the belt runs off the edge of the cam gear a little bit on the front of them. Others have had the tensioner come apart, plastic..

I'm not saying there are bad, just I am not going to use the yoshifab setup..

Check for sale section for my for sale of my yoshifab unit.

Other problem I had was it's designed for a car head with the 8mm bolt hole, my head has the 10mm bolt hole stock so I had to pay extra for a machinest to waller out that hole more and all that. Yoshi said he never ever had that problem ever, nobody ever complained about that. He sold 100 of em and nobody ever tried to use it on a Penta head...

Whatever, I'm done with, blow out price. I don't have the 8mm bolt that came with it. Can't find it..ha.

Did you also use the Penta tensioner? Or is it possible to use the Golf tensioner?

Yes I am using a VW tensioner. Not sure for what car. I went to Discount auto parts and just looked at what they had and said this is the one. $25 bucks or so.

URO parts number 068 109 234F

Yes you have to put a washer spacer behind it to space it out a few MM's also drill and tap your hole for 10mm bolt or stud.

16vtensioner_zps04719533.jpg

We'll locals here have that problem where the belt runs off the edge of the cam gear a little bit on the front of them. Others have had the tensioner come apart, plastic..

I'm not saying there are bad, just I am not going to use the yoshifab setup..

Check for sale section for my for sale of my yoshifab unit.

Other problem I had was it's designed for a car head with the 8mm bolt hole, my head has the 10mm bolt hole stock so I had to pay extra for a machinest to waller out that hole more and all that. Yoshi said he never ever had that problem ever, nobody ever complained about that. He sold 100 of em and nobody ever tried to use it on a Penta head...

Whatever, I'm done with, blow out price. I don't have the 8mm bolt that came with it. Can't find it..ha.

I had that problem until I correctly tensioned it. I also heard tell he got a batch of bad tensioners themselves (which are also a VW piece, so FYI, YMMV, etc).

I've also used the vw tensioner pictured, it worked decent enough but seemed like the tensioners themselves weren't as long-lived as one would like. They're cheap enough to keep a spare or 4 around though.

What you should use is a 146 toothed belt like VOLVO designed for there 16v heads they put on boats... I got some from ebay UK. I can't remember off had what car they come from but it's some weird one. I will look for the link. I paid $15 for the 146 tooth belt. You won't need a idler with it..

Dayco 146 RP 240 94229 made in E.E.C.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dayco-Cam...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53fd64e2bd

CONTINENTAL Part Number: CT540 Corss reference to the following Suppliers/Manufacturer
AE TB224
AUTO-DELTA TB882
BALCO BTB1130
BOSCH 1987949045
CONTINENTAL CT540
DAYCO 146SP240
DAYCO 94229
FIRSTLINE FTB3432
GATES 5129
GOODYEAR G1270
LUCAS KCB155
MASTERPARTS MTB46
MOPROD MTB130
MOTAQUIP VTB229
OPEL 636364
OPEL 636563
OPEL 90281312
OPEL 90410784
POWERTRAIN PMTB52
QUINTON HAZELL QTB199
ROVER GROUP GTB1129
TRW - FEDERAL MOGUL 4829629
ULTRAPARTS UTB1312
UNIPART GTB1129
VAUXHALL 90281312
VAUXHALL 90410784
VEGEM VT177
FAI 45146

They are 24mm wide. I bought the yoshifab and the kevlar belt from yoshi, but I am not going to use it after seeing the problems others have had with the yoshifab kit. I will be putting the yoshifab kit I have up for sale here soon...

Simon

This^

Thank you so much! I've been looking for a belt with less than 148 teeth for months!

Back