• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Snailpoweredbrick's 242 16V

snailpoweredbrick

Decided to start a build thread! =)
This may be ironic, but there is no snail power in this one! :rofl:
These are my plans, some of the stuff i have and some of the stuff i still need to purchase:
Car: 1983 Volvo 242
Engine:
--B230FD (1994 940 Squirter Block)
--AQ171 2.5 Penta Crank/lightened/knife edged
--B234 head/Ported
--Volvo Headgasket
--Volvo/Glyco Main and rod bearings
--Volvo Head Studs
--Custom forged pistons 14:1 compression
--H-Beam 152mm Rods/ARP studs
--YoshiFab 16v Belt Tensioner/Kevlar Belt
--SPM Oil pump
--Billet Timing Crank Gear
--Unorthodox Underdrive pulley
Intake Valves: 39mm Ported to flow around 300cfm
Exhaust Valves: Stock
Fuel: E85
Cams: Custom (haven't figured out specs yet)
Transmission: Late 80's WC GM T-5
Flywheel: 8lb John Parker flywheel
Clutch: Stock 240 turbo Pressure plate, 6 puck clutchnet disc 228mm
Intake: Individual throttle bodies from a 1999 Suzuki GSXR, 46mm butterflies (inlet 48mm/butteryfly:46mm/outlet:40mm)
Engine Management: Megasquirt (Yoshifab DSM CAS adaptor, D585 coils)
Wheels: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x8
Tires: 245/40/17
28mm front sway bar

Nathan has the ITB's at the moment fabbing up the intake manifold. This will be a semi Budgeted build for now.
I will be doing some updating, but the progress will be slow, but i would love to hear some input and ideas from all of you. This won't be a daily driver, setting it up for road racing.
I know i could go turbo and faster for less money, looking for something different and fun to drive.
Still working out the details for the build.
Eventually I want to fully build the motor and put in some very aggressive cams on E85. Since im on a budget, i am going to get it running and eveything figured out with a fairly stock motor. I plan on installing Ford 4.6 valve springs and running an external oil feed to the head. Also if my budget allows me, i'll put in some H-beam rods to lighten the bottom end a bit.

A little history on the car:
I bought the car with a AQ171 Penta motor all stock internals and a t3 turbo, he told me there was after market forged pistons, but when i took it all apart everything was stock AQ171. Everything done on it was incredibly clean the 16v with Kjet looked factory. I got it running after a couple of days with messing with it, ran pretty good. It was sitting for 10+ years, the turbo was blown, when you step on the gas smoke would blow out the tail pipe so i decided to replace the turbo, which turned into pulling the motor and inspecting the inside and 2 pistons where broken. Car came with a bunch of extras in the trunk, Penta cams, and 8V H cam (in the original volvo box), brand new in the box headlight lenses for the European headlights and a bunch of factory manuals. Suppose ably the pervious owners friends mom worked at North America of Volvo so they could get any parts they wanted without problems. The car was built in the late 80's-early 90's. Has been sitting for 12+ years before i bought it.

Heres some pics taken by Hiperfauto, when he looked at the car before i bought it.
242Turbo16V2_zps905cebdb.jpg

242Turbo16V1_zpsf97d44cd.jpg

242Turbo16V3_zps6548f27a.jpg

242Turbo16V4_zpsb7a41ae6.jpg

242Turbo16V5_zps49388598.jpg

242Turbo16V6_zpscde89ba5.jpg

242Turbo16V7_zps99758a85.jpg

242Turbo16V8_zps7986d6b8.jpg

Here is after i cleaned up the engine bay a bit:
IMAG0488.jpg

Right now it sits engineless.
338941FF-B6D6-4425-B321-CC11865AA19C-3157-000002F7339D009E_zps0e769d43.jpg

FCEB67D9-957A-492C-8922-43D37D20D8A3-3157-000002F738FD7B5A_zps831d59e2.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any suggestions for the best way to raise compression without buying new pistons? Milling the head, milling the block, thinner headgasket, ect.. When will valve to piston clearance become an issue?

Got my exhaust header! I would prefer a 4-1 header, but the price was great and the quality looks very good. Maybe down the road i'll get a 4-1, but this should do for now.
Here's some pictures.

lol yeah.. Oh and search about raising your cr. Decking the head a little and running a nice tight squish will net you some decent improvements.

Ian (hiperfauto) was telling me about this car the other day and I just looked it up. Awesome start to a project! Great find, too. Are you going to keep it street legal (ish)? Or is this going to be a pure track build?

It would look amazing repainted in red - let me know if you need a paint shop, I know of a good/cheap one in Wilmington that a friend has used many times.

Looking forward to seeing progress and hopefully checking out the car sometime.

Building it as a pure track car. That doesn't mean it won't be hitting the streets every now and then though. :oogle:
Going to go with as many solid mounts as possible and for sure the ITB's will not be passing any type of smog inspection =D

Back