• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230FT Exhaust manifold question

yambox142

I have a 1971 142E, with a b230ft swap (out of a 1993 940) and I have noticed that the exhaust manifold is in the beginning stages of cracking. I understand that this is notorious issue with these manifolds. Two questions:

1: Is there anyone that makes a respectable (well built) b230FT aftermarket turbo manifold? Or is is just a case of having to be on an endless search for a used OEM (hopefully not cracked) manifold? I'm just not a true believer in welding cast iron... (<-- let the trolls come out from under their bridges for this comment)

2: If I have to replace this entire system with a T3 set up, does anyone know if a top fitted (aftermarket tubular stainless manifold w/ top-mount turbo orientation) will fit in a 142 engine bay? When I say "fit" I am mainly referring to the height (I refuse to cut my hood).

I guess my other option is to find someone to build a custom manifold.

Just looking for any constructive thoughts, maybe someone has run into a similar issue.

I have a 1971 142E, with a b230ft swap (out of a 1993 940) and I have noticed that the exhaust manifold is in the beginning stages of cracking. I understand that this is notorious issue with these manifolds. Two questions:

1: Is there anyone that makes a respectable (well built) b230FT aftermarket turbo manifold? Or is is just a case of having to be on an endless search for a used OEM (hopefully not cracked) manifold? I'm just not a true believer in welding cast iron... (<-- let the trolls come out from under their bridges for this comment)

2: If I have to replace this entire system with a T3 set up, does anyone know if a top fitted (aftermarket tubular stainless manifold w/ top-mount turbo orientation) will fit in a 142 engine bay? When I say "fit" I am mainly referring to the height (I refuse to cut my hood).

I guess my other option is to find someone to build a custom manifold.

Just looking for any constructive thoughts, maybe someone has run into a similar issue.
I mig welded mine about 5 years ago. I drilled the ends of the crack then preheated it with an acetylene torch until it was cherry red then zapped it, it's still holding up.

Thanks

I familiar with Yoshifab, and they seem to be very reputable. I appreciate both comments. I think I will need to come to terms with my hesitation regarding welding cast-iron.

I don'd need 300 + whp, this car is super light, and what I have is fun (for now).

I appreciate the comments.

I familiar with Yoshifab, and they seem to be very reputable. I appreciate both comments. I think I will need to come to terms with my hesitation regarding welding cast-iron.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fw-w-d75Caw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ive done 3 and they are still holding up. I drilled the end of the cracks, heat up manifold, then welded it up. I was like you at one time but figure hey what do I have to loose. Plus saved me from buying a 300 manifold.

Ive done 3 and they are still holding up. I drilled the end of the cracks, heat up manifold, then welded it up. I was like you at one time but figure hey what do I have to loose. Plus saved me from buying a 300 manifold.

I think I'm going to have to come to terms with my aversion to cast-iron welding.

Well this was a nice find.

AF1QipNWH3nT2nfCC98SltqqUR9c3Wk4k-ZEKwAYHm0X

Back