• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Base circle.

mota37

Can some one help me out with the specs for base circle for a T cam? In inches down to .000 would be prefered. I'm looking for the diameter base circle and if you can do it from the base to the tip of the lobe.

Thanks for the help but unfortunatly that doesn't include the base circle any where. Incase anyone is wondering why I need to know. I got my new regound cam and the base circle was shrunk. Its now 1.295 in on all lobes. I need to know the origional size to figure out how to readjust my valve lash. The guy who ground it told me .2085in smaller but I'd like to calculate it my self to make sure since the day before he told me about .150in. So any way I need to get the origional size. Help is appriciated.

Last edited:
Why couldn't you put the cam in and measure the gap with some feeler gauges? Predicting what shims you might need might not be accurate enough once you have the cam installed anyways. Better to do it live than on paper, IMHO.....

Dale your a genious. I just relized I have my old head sitting in basement. I never even thought of using it. I konw the valve lash wont be perfect for the other head but if I use all the shims for the head in the base ment that I measure up with I should come out really close.

Looks nifty but also looks prone to falling into the engine. Shims just can't no matter how hard they try.

I checked the clearance with a feeler guage on my old head and came out that .074 was the gap. So I'm thinking that I'll have to standard shims cut down at a machine shop to like .060in and I should be set to go. Does that sound about right? That leaves about .014 for the clearance. I could have started with a K cam but I wouldn't even have bothered getting it cut if I had one. Besides if fishes were wishes we'd all just fish.

Sean- I used Delta, in Tacoma- made m-exh lobe on both on tight centerline (105/105) for my own use and v on tight centerline (107/107) for possibly my own use, and X on wide centerline for future turbo use. Some required lash caps, some didn't depending on what core I used, and what spec I wanted. I also had a bunch of VX's ground for resale (all gone). I think I did 9 cams total, for $400, commercial rate. Each cost is listed at ~55-60, IIRC.

Use K-cores or lashcaps from air cooled VW places. (I've seen them for as little as $12-14/8)

Mota, are you talking doubling up shims... 'cause that won't work. I can't see how you are cutting something thinner to fill more space ????

There's a lip on the lash caps and 175lbs pressure on 'em and they will not come out. Volvo puts o-rings more or less loose in there w/o problem.

Well I was gonna put the second .60 shim under the bucket with a beveled edge to account for that tapered base in the bucket. Any idea where in particular I can get those lash caps? Cuz I"m guessing it'd cost me a fortune to have the shims recut any way.

So I found some lash caps for any one who needs them. Its a place in Arlin Texas. Yes it really does exhist. www.texasbugstop.com Set of 8 cost 9.99. I don't know if they're avliable in more then one size. .070 is the size they told me. Said they fit 8mm valve stems, which is the size of a Volvo valve stem.

Back