• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Redblock 5-speed Gearbox Options in 2020

vegiguy

I'm doing a clutch job on my '83 242 with a b23 in it and am having a hard time bringing myself to put the m46 back in it because I hate just about everything about it: it's heavy, has a stump pulling first gear that is unusable once the car is moving from more than a crawl, and the laycock overdrive is overly complicated and prone to not working, not to mention you that that button on top of the shift knob so you have to be careful how you hold the knob when you shift so you don?t accidentally activate the overdrive when you don?t want to.

Since M47's are getting to be rare as hen's teeth, plus they aren't that great of a transmission from what I've read. I'm contemplating a T5 swap unless someone here can fill me in on any other options of transmissions that would be better or more readily available given that stickshift stuff is getting pretty scarce, at least where I'm at. I have done transmission swaps on other makes of cars so I know some of what I'm up against. My goal is to do something that uses as many readily available service parts (throwout bearing, clutch disc, etc) as possible and doesn't end up costing an arm and a leg. If I do this I plan on doing the machining work myself since I have access to this equipment and have experience making custom parts.

I didn't know whether to ask these specific question about the T5 on the old T5 thread - which I've read through - or here since the T5 thread seems to have fizzled out over a year ago and seemed to refer as much or more to 700 and 900 series cars than the 240, so forgive me if these questions should be there.

After calling salvage yards, transmission shops, scouring Craigslist and facebook marketplace it looks like the only rebuildable T5 cores within reasonable driving distance are mainly Camaro and possibly later (post 1993) model Mustang V-6 units. Also I found one older 2.3 Mustang T5 listed, but from what I have read 2.3 Ford T5s have a stump puller 3.97 first gear similar to the 4.03 Volvo 1st. I think a megasquirted NA Volvo with an "A" cam should be able to handle a little higher 1st gear.

It looks like the GM F-body and later Mustang V-6 T5s have slightly (3/4??) longer input shafts than the early V-8 Mustang T5s that most of the ready made kits seem to be designed for, so if I make a thicker adapter plate to compensate for this to get the right amount of input shaft stick out from the front of the bellhousing will this put the shifter too far back in the floor opening for the 240? Then I will either need to shorten or replace the input shaft and use the right thickness of metal to make the adapter plate, which I?m guessing would need to be be somewhere around 1/2? thick.

Re the pilot bearing: it looks like the Camaro 2.8 V-6 T5 pilot bearing ID is only .002 more than the Volvo's so the that T5?s input shaft could probably be made to fit the Volvo pilot bearing with a little persuasion. The Mustang 3.8 bearing appears to be the same as the V-8 and fits the back of the Volvo Crank since it has the same OD (as mentioned in the old T5 thread).

The T5 thread mentions several throw-out bearing part numbers: does anyone know if these are still good or are the best one to use, or is there a better one? The Camaro 3.8 clutch disc is even smaller than the 2.3 Ford clutch disc that the old thread mentions fits so either should fit the flywheel as I see it.

Basically the way I see it the later Mustang 3.8 V-6 T5 and the GM F-body 2.8 V-6 T5 look like fairly similar gearboxes as far as how well they would go behind a 240 with red block engine. I would appreciate very much any more information on this that might be helpful, or any other transmissions more readily available today used that be worthwhile to consider for replacing the m46 with.

^i was going to say the same- it sounds like there?s a lot of money, luck and work to make a t5 fit. I appreciate the shipping costs of an m90 aren?t cheap, but perhaps against the cost of all the above it?s not so different.

The V6 mustang t5 will work with the transmission adapters available (or if you make your own) if you swap in a 5.0 inut shaft. Super easy and costs considerably less then an original 5.0 unit
Easiest solution from there is volvo flat FW, saab viggen PP and either custom disc or get the right one off the specs for some random ford.
Nice thing about the T5 is if you grenade it you just need another cheap junkyard unit, can't really say that about any other transmission option out there these days

I'm very surprised that nobody has jumped on the AR5 yet. The adapter would be easy to make, the boxes are newer than any old T5 (because the removeable bellhousing T5s stopped in the mid-late-90s on Fords), and they're apparently strong as can be.

I'm very surprised that nobody has jumped on the AR5 yet. The adapter would be easy to make, the boxes are newer than any old T5 (because the removeable bellhousing T5s stopped in the mid-late-90s on Fords), and they're apparently strong as can be.

All the v6 wct5 transmissions have removable bell housings(96-04). So there is always a good supply(at least in the US).

Believe it or not all I've been able to locate within 30 miles of where I live is a Camaro V-6 T5 for $400, which seems a little high for a V-6 junkyard transmission that I'll probably have to rebuild. The local LKQ has some post-'2004 V-6 Mustangs with manual boxes showing in their inventory photos, but from what I've read the T5's used in them are completely different than the older T5 that had the shifter in the back of the tailshaft housing. An LKQ 3 hours or so away is showing some older stickshift Mustangs in their inventory pictures, but with my luck I would drive all the way down there and they would already be stripped out of the cars.

Are there any other places besides the ones listed in my original post where I might find a T5 core? In addition to the above have called a few other salvage yards that advertise online with no luck, but I may have to pull out the yellow pages and try all the little ones on there to see if they have anything. I can't believe there isn't ANY other T5's around.

I wish I would have thought of this years ago when fox-body Mustangs were littering salvage yards everywhere!

Except that's the wrong T5 pattern unless you have a JVL-modded bellhousing for a Camaro T5.
The later GM F-body T5 used the Ford bolt pattern from what I've read. Either way I wasn't planning on using a ready made adapter plate anyway. I like doing things the hard way :) .

Supposedly my BNE adapter is supposed to bolt up to a TKO.

That is correct, it does

The Ford bolt pattern version.

Good candidate for a cut n shut if you are into that sort of thing.

Yes, the ford bolt pattern version of the tko which is a different pattern then the ford t5.

It might cross over to other transmission applications but I'm not sure.

Yes, the ford bolt pattern version of the tko which is a different pattern then the ford t5.

It might cross over to other transmission applications but I'm not sure.

I think all TKO transmissions use the same bell housing bolt pattern, which is different than the older GM 4 speeds... and I think this is where the confusion is.

I think all TKO transmissions use the same bell housing bolt pattern, which is different than the older GM 4 speeds... and I think this is where the confusion is.

According to this article GM switched to the Ford bolt pattern after 1993: https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/t5-info-page.html . Before that they apparently used the standard GM "V8" bellhousing pattern that goes back to the early 60's and was used on Saginaw, Muncie and Borg Warner 3 and 4-speed transmissions alike.

I agree with this, I did some quick comparisons and think the AR5 (solstice or skyy version) could work. The colorado AR5 shifter comes out at the radio in a 240 and there isn't a solid shifter relocation kit available yet.

Back