• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aluminum vs ferrous v90 control arms

hikerguy

My 1997 v90 needs all the control arm bushings replaced. While I was shopping around I found out that they make aluminum control arm replacements along with ferrous ones. I like the idea of removing weight from the suspension. I also live in the pothole capital of the world and don't want to be bending anything. So what do you folks think?

Aluminum is nice as it allows lighter weight and less unsprung weight, but doesn't like to flex when it plays with potholes and is generally more expensive to replace. If you're worried about potholes, stick with the steel. If not, go aluminum.

The car is heavy already, and it has low clearance. Would probably try to raise it a bit and also use 17" wheels, and stay with OEM Aluminum.

That's great! I've never seen a pair and I own 2-90 series cars. Any chance it's a euro only option? If not I'm going to have to start my searching. Thanks for the info

All 4 of the 960 control arms I've touched have been steel.

I probably would have used aluminum if I could, but whatever. The steel isn't that heavy anyways and those floppy excuses for bushings negates any "feel" or "performance" or "reliability" you might get out of running lighter CA's.

If it's steel, it might have been replaced at some stage. Regardless of the CA material, there's need for another material for that big bush.

Back