• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Been given a 1991 240 wagon with issues - need some advice?

imothers

I joined this forum to get info to help with sorting out a 1991 240 wagon my sister-in-law gave me. They were going to junk it as paying a shop to fix all the problems would have cost way too much. I have been doing my own work on cars for 30+ years, recently this has included a 93 VW Eurovan and an 84 Peugeot 505 with K-jet (of various cars I have worked on these 2 are most similar to the Volvo I think).

I am hoping to get some help with a couple of questions:
The car was parked outdoors and got wet & moldy inside. Anyone know of a good technique for killing mold? I figure if I can kill the mold the car is saveable, and if not then the smell is just too awful for anyone to want to drive it.

The front power windows work (slowly) but the back ones don't. My guess is the regulators are stuck from sitting a long time, I think no one sat in the back because the seatbelts were stuck behind the seatback and the handle to fold that forward is missing along with most of the linkages. Turns out it is easy to trip the latches manually with a screwdriver, so no that problem is "solved" for now.

There was water in the hidden cubby under the floor in the rear of the car. I can't quite tell where it might be coming from. Do these cars have common leak points? There is some rust perforation at the very back of the floor, where the hatchback closes, could it come in through there? The card under the passenger side back window (the fixed window, not the passenger door) is wet at the bottom, and the carpet on the floor was wet. There is some rust at the front of the passenger rear wheel well, and a small rust hole at the end of the rocker panel in front of the back tire.

Other things I need to deal with - the heater fan is not working, I haven't 100% ruled out the 25AMP fuse, but the previous owner told me it used to make a burning smell and then it quit, which is not encouraging. I have had the dash out of my eurovan, and I have seen the writeups on doing the fan for a 240, looks like a 2 day job but do-able.

The clutch cable is too tight, there's no free play and the engagement is right at the top of the pedal travel. The car drives, but if you gun it in gear the clutch slips. That's with loosening the adjustment to the point that the cable drags against the side of the white plastic tube on it's way to the clutch fork. I saw a note that the washer and rubber pad at the clutch end of the cable have a right way and a wrong way to be installed, I am hoping that they are in backwards.

There are various electrical gremlins which I think are probably mostly fuse-box and/or moisture related. Years ago I dealt with the barrel fuses on VWs, they were prone to causing problems when the contacts got dirty, so that's where I'll focus to start.

Cheers, Ian

... I am hoping to get some help with a couple of questions:
The car was parked outdoors and got wet & moldy inside. Anyone know of a good technique for killing mold? I figure if I can kill the mold the car is saveable, and if not then the smell is just too awful for anyone to want to drive it. ...

I can help you on this.

1. Resolve water ingress issues.

- An assistant using a garden hose or a carwash sprayer will facilitate the location of your leaks. They spray water on certain sections of the car with you inside. I personally like a plain 'ol garden hose but you may not have one if you live in an apartment... IDK.

2. Remove the interior.

- I also suggest removing the padding. It is usually glued to the floorboard but can likely be removed in one piece by pulling slowly.

3. Hand wash / Clean the floor pan (I like Mr. Clean).

3b. Dry the floor pan...

4. Sanitize the floor pan (Lysol is fine).

5. Pressure wash the carpet and hand wash the carpet padding in a Rubbermaid container.

6. If the cloth seats are moldy you will need "hog-rings", heavy duty side cutters and a special set of pliers to re-install the rings. After removing the covers, they can be pressure washed and the pads can be sanitized with Lysol. If you have leather seats... IDK - good luck?

7. Let everything dry out in the garage for a week or so (with a heater on if necessary) or if you are lucky enough to have dry, warm sunshine days hang everything up outside but be careful to not let rain reset your progress...

8. Reinstall and enjoy.

---

Edit:// just know that if the car was flooded and the electricals were submerged then you really only have a yard ornament that will likely void any / all good karma due you for the entirety of your car buying / driving days if you were to sell the car after cleansing the interior (without disclosing the flooding beforehand) ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, it all makes sense. There's a hose in our car wash area that should work nicely. The car has a cloth interior so that helps. I am tempted to get a replacement cushion for the driver's seat, the one in the car is pretty beat and the fabric is worn through in one spot.

I am pretty sure the car has not been flooded, my in-laws would have mentioned it at some point.

Back