• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1963 PV544 rat rod

5k is about right for a 6a box to start eating caps and rotors.

The sparks coming off the coil wire were pretty impressive. I've never seen anything like that before from a stock ignition system.

Maybe I should take the MSD box off. It does add a slight bit of pep to the motor at lower rpms. Not sure if that's subliminal or not.

Yeah, the epoxy trick worked like a charm. Instead of crankcrankcrankcrank *chuffle* it went cra*VROOOM*, that sort of instant fire up that an ECU motor can't quite match.

I've got a new rotor and cap coming in the mail, but it's back to drivable. I drove it around for a little bit, then I remembered, derp, it has Sep 2013 expiration plates on it. Yeah... better ease up on the volume control (gas pedal) and go back home already.

It's nowhere near as fast as the wagon is, but it's so light and nimble feeling. Fun to zip around in it. I need to get a state safety inspection, then mail that and some forms off with a picture of my vintage license plate and then I'll have it permanently licensed with a 'year of manufacture' plate.

I finally got my paperwork back from the State of Missouri Department of Revenue, legalizing my vintage license plate I bought on eBay. Now I can drive around with an old rusty license plate on my old rusty car. w0000t!

20140829_164454_zpskebiiipx.jpg

I haven't been pulled over yet, after driving it for a while. I have a lingering suspicion that police will not know about the YOM plate thing and try to hassle me.

Just remember if you get pulled over to do the following-
-Immediately exit the vehicle and approach the officer.
-Yell "Hands up, don't shoot!" right in his/her face.
-Refuse to comply with any of their instructions.
-Loot your local liquor store.

What ^^^^ said. So it goes here...

Haven't found a solution to the rotor yet, but I've been rocking the IPD HD blue cap on my wagon for around 60-70k behind a 6A/BlasterSS combo with NO issues. I used to burn thru the Bosch head mount caps in around 3-7k, had one I could actually see light thru. Went block mount, then I got around 12-15k from the Bosch before it was burned pretty good.

I dunno what the deal is on the IPD one but hell, I'll take it! Doug mentioned a few years ago he had to run that when he still had the 242 with the MSD7 on it, but he found it labelled as a Standard Motor cap from the local parts chain.

Assuming the OHC motors run the same cap, it might be worth a shot.

OHV and OHC run different caps.

You can still get beru stuff for an OHV for $$$.

I've been hoarding beru wires and used to hoard near new beru german caps and rotors in the junkyards 10 years ago. Usually would get them thrown in for free with a wheelbarrow load. Why not? Last forever if you treat them right. Those days of the "free" tuneup 3x with basically brand new gucci beru parts for the next 100K are long gone.

The PV has a Mallory dual point body on it, different cap and rotor. LIke this:
http://www.tennesseespeedsport.com/Mallory-2361001-Dual-Point-Distributor-Series-23.html

Only mine was much cheaper and bought used on ebay many years ago.

I was initially concerned about finding a replacement cap/rotor, but apparently while they do have a *large* number of different distributors for a wide variety of applications, they all use just a few different cap/rotors. So I was able to easily find a replacement 4 cylinder cap and rotor. But the JBWelded rotor is still in there, I'll put the new one on when the patched one starts to have issues.

PV's running great. It just feels less peppy when I've been driving the wagon. If I'd only been driving the 4Runner for a while, it would probably feel peppy.

Ahh, forgot you had the Mallory on there...makes my rant pointless. lol

I hear ya on the peppy feeling. Going from my wagon with twice the power to the 140, yeah the 140 is a blast, but nowhere near the same power level. Can't wait to see what boost does to fix that issue though down the road.

I occasionally ponder sticking the 16VT motor from the wagon in the PV to make the PV ridiculously fast (2200 lbs wheeee), making room in the wagon for something LS/2JZ-ish with even more ludicrous amounts of pwoer.

But the 16V engine is shaped all wrong to fit into the PV. The PV's engine bay narrows considerably to the front, where the 16V engine has the turbo up front, and the Nathan intake sticks out on the other side.

LOL, tried to drive this to work this morning, it's been sitting since late fall to avoid the salt. It wasn't in a good mood.

It started fairly easily, snorted and coughed a bunch. Then as I was pulling it out of the garage it died. Then it caught fire.

Minor fire, one of the foam 'air filters' over the DCOE horns caught fire. No damage, just dripped melted foam here and there.

Then the battery was dead. Yeah, time to drive a Toyota instead.

Heh. I have half a hunch that the half-assed rotor patch I did (drill out the burned hole and fill with JB Weld) has burned through again, from the way it was running. I got a new rotor, but hadn't put it in yet. Maybe that MSD box and Blaster coil is just a bit too much.

Back