• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

front suspension done now i get clunking sound

brickhead

EVEning.

This past Sat. i had the rest of my suspension parts installed.Front HD bils,poly strut bar chassis bushings and the others that had to be pressed in. i forget which ones but Today i noticed a clunking sound upon hitting the brakes. what i noticed first tho was when i hit the brakes i felt the clunking in the steering.but after parking i could hear the clunking too.

Any ideas?

I am going to take to my indy volvo shop and have them take a look.I'm hoping it just something loose that needs tightening.than again they might be the upper strut mounts too i'm guessing.

Check your torque rod bushings on the rear axle. Mine were shot and did the same thing. Also when parking.
Installed new poly ones last night and can't be happier.

BenW said:
Check your torque rod bushings on the rear axle. Mine were shot and did the same thing. Also when parking.
Installed new poly ones last night and can't be happier.

pretty sure he has a 740...not the same rear suspension setup. no poly available for the rear except the panhard rod :-(

checking for clunks

When you check for looseness in the steering in Volvos you want to have the car on the ground or on ramps. When you hang the wheels it takes up play that may be there. I redid the whole front suspension on my friends 242 flathood but it still clunked over bumps. It was the worn out steering rack that was clunking over bumps. The other thought was did you have the front strut mounts replaced? They will clunk when worn.

I had a clunk after replacing front strut inserts. It was the gland nut not being tightened down enough. Dont the HDs fit wierd? Maybe that is something to consider.
It could also be that your caliper is loose or sticking.

Back