• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage Looking for info on 122 engine swaps

AndrewNance

Amateur hour!
Ideally, I'd like a B230/M46 in my Amazon. I want to keep it redblock, so no T5s or any of that mess. I'm looking for any and all information, documents, pictures, or videos on said engine swap.

Thanks in advance

I have a B21 in my 122 ( I did mine 10 years ago, and I like it - would use a stock engine management system):

B21_122.jpg

Poke around here:

http://volvoadventures.com/122SB21M41.html

Do you want to mount it upright (like a B18/B20) or at a slant (like a B21/B23/B230). Each has it's problems.

Do you want to fuel inject it or carb it?

Why a M46 and not a M41?

Paul

Last edited:
Why a M46 and not a M41?

I just figured swapping the tranny that mounts to a B230 would be my best option. If I were to go with a different motor, like a B21 per say, I'd consider other options.

I think I should swap in an M41 first and see how satisfied I am with the performance of my B18. I would like to switch to F.I. as well and mounting the engine upright is probably most desirable.

I just figured swapping the tranny that mounts to a B230 would be my best option. If I were to go with a different motor, like a B21 per say, I'd consider other options.

I think I should swap in an M41 first and see how satisfied I am with the performance of my B18. I would like to switch to F.I. as well and mounting the engine upright is probably most desirable.

M41/M46 bellhousings mount to B21/B23/B230 without modifications. The bellhousing does determine if the engine sits at a slant or upright. There are M41 bellhousings that mount the engine at a slant (usually upright ones are available), and M46 bellhousings that mount the engine upright (usally the slant ones are available). Really, it's up to you, but a M41 can use the long shifter or short shifter, but the M46 use the short shifter (mod to the tranny tunnel is required.

I have an '89 B230F with a BW t-5 trans in my 67 122S.
I modified stock 700 series motor mounts. Am using stock LH 2.4 management. When I finish my current project, I have a turbo engine waiting to go in.
If you are using the M46/47 trans with the 4.11 rear, you will find that the gearing is really short. First gear will be nearly useless, youll be shifting out of first before you go 30 feet.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=223939

Back