• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1973 142 - The Stepchild of a Stepchild!

Also, Steve, those panels look slick! I need to see if somebody local can patch my worn seat cover.

Here are the matching seat covers. 70's baby!!!
I'll need to buy another seat bottom so I can have an upholstery shop make a rear armrest cover to match. I lucked into a pair of headrests on ebay a while back.
Steve

kKwFTTO.jpg

I'm having flashbacks to my childhood. They could only be more iconic if they had some goldenrod and avocado in them.

They had an orange, red, yellow & black that looks like what I have.
Great progress this morning. I'll go back out after the sun goes down & hit it some more.
Both floor plans & trans/driveshaft tunnel done, the trunk pan is about 95% done. I went to Lowes to get a longer scrapper attachment but there isn't one, so I got a long wood cutting blade. I need it to get into some tight areas. Also picked up a couple of wire wheels for my angle grinder.
In the short time I was gone, the temp in the garage went up to 105, so.... Breaktime!!
Pic of the oven, um, shop.

HyOeKlV.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
Still a lot to do. Got the driver & passenger sides cleaned with a wire wheel this morning. Still need to wire wheel the trunk pan & area above the differential, but it's a little toasty out there! My son volunteered to work on some of that tomorrow.
I'm soaking the rear wheelwells with kerosene again & letting them cook until tomorrow evening. Then the multi-tool / wire wheel treatment.
A little scope creep coming. I've decided to remove the front clip so I can get the front inner fenders, backside of the front valance / fenders & frame horns. I'll also need to remove the front crossmember again, but thinking I can keep the steering & brake lines all connected.
I'll probably install the engine onto the crossmember & install as a sub-assembly.
That's a job for next weekend though.
Thanks,
Steve

Pics:
After the China Freight multi-tool -

hNKZVJy.jpg

After a good wire brushing with the angle grinder -

Fk4Iz4s.jpg

Steve,

Is the undercoating you're dealing with the Waxoyl (or similar) stuff or black rubberized stuff?

It's the black rubberized crap. It'll get there, just going to take a while.
Took the night off from the car, had a couple of late meetings. I'll hit it again tomorrow.
Steve

Rear wheelwells. After scrapping, I got a mini needle scaler from China Freight and knocked off most of the undercoat.
I broke down & ordered one of the undercoating removal tools. Eastwood sells one, but I found a similar tool on Amazon for about $60 less.
It arrives on Tuesday, so I'm going to take the mini needle scaler into some of the tight spots tomorrow morning. Then my son and I are going to remove the front fenders, front crossmember and maybe the front fascia.
Here are pics of the passenger side, driver side looks similar.

LRhADKq.jpg

KPv6LCV.jpg

BTLcDtc.jpg

UZK9riC.jpg

Looks like good metal. Whoo hoo!
Yes, all in all, very little rust on this car.
My son & I dropped the front crossmember today. Bought a dolly & built a padded rack for it. Took it off a unit with all everything still attached, except for the steering box. It came off separately.
Got it all filthy cleaning the undercoating, so I need to clean it before I drop the engine onto it.
Might go back out tonight to mess with the cleaning.
And my son just loves helping me! :-P

FzP8i2a.jpg

Steve

The new stripping tool arrived from Amazon this evening, so I tried it on the passenger side wheel well.
All I can say is that it's a winner! Since it's air driven, it's way lighter than my angle grinder & the wire wheels are about an 1" wide, so you strip more area quicker.
Here's the link to the tool & a quick photo after about 30 minutes of free time I has tonight.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-SX8200...S00H2XN3XVG&psc=1&refRID=JZ7VKNP98S00H2XN3XVG

OV0LqNa.jpg

Are you applying phosphoric acid or anything to prevent flash/surface rusting of the steel now that it's exposed?

Shouldn't need it. Epoxy primer over clean metal is sufficient.
Epoxy primer actually seals out the oxygen from the metal, leaving very little chance of rust forming.
I will need to sand & clean any flash surface rust prior to spraying, due to cleaning the undercoat as time (and garage temps!) permits.
Steve.

Back