• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wanted - Super Ride

jhendrick71

797631885x.jpg

I am looking for advice on a 1988 240 frame off restoration project - see picture. The suspension that was installed by the person doing the work is not to my liking from the perspective of ride ( too stiff ) and the stance of the car seems not right as well.

I am looking for advice on how I can fix it so I end up with a truly super ride ( the perfect set up combo of super struts, shocks, springs, etc) - even if I have to start over. What's you advice as well as any technical specs I should make sure I conform to as I am working with a new guy now... thanks

Made the pic work.Ride is subjective, put it back to stock for the best compromise, but many prefer stiffer.
What kind of driving will you do? what kind of ride do you like? What is the current suspension setup? so many variables
p.jpeg

Last edited:
I am looking for a smoother ride ( its stiff ) - The current suspension setup is all new as this was a frame off resto - I am not sure what the components that the restorer put in - I asked him to stay true to original Volvo specs for 1988 - I will put on lift on Monday and try to get a picture and a list of whats there - just trying to figure out what parts OEM makes the best suspension kits to create a responsive smooth ride - if one was starting from scratch - what would you look to do? Where can I find the right specs ( coils, shocks, etc) for a 1988 240?

In addition to pics, it would help to get an precise list of the actual parts/part numbers/manufacturer (F&R springs, dampers, rear shocks, suspension components ) the installer used, since we can't tell that from a pic of the struts, etc.. That would help figure out whats going on. Also you don't say what wheel & tires you are running, which will also impact ride quality significantly.

Since these don't have a frame that can be removed, I'm unclear what you mean by frame-off restoration. Did you strip to the shell, acid bath/media blast then repair & reassemble?

Since linking to Dropbox somehow doesn't make the photo show up, here it is.

Attachments

• 376uGYxe.jpeg
    376uGYxe.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 144
I am putting this car on the lift later this week to get all the current setup specs so I can get better feedback - will post..frame off resto means we took everything off before repairing frame, bath, prime and repaint - then we started over with replacing everything

If you replaced all bushings, sometimes they need to break in. I'd drive the car a couple of hundred miles and see if anything changes before you start spending money

Back