• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 front springs

Boxcar Man

I have a set of '79 GT front springs that I acquired from a TB member a few years back but never installed. Three 240s later I'm thinking of using them.

I see that all the major suppliers are now listing this HD spring 1229337 as the only available "stock" replacement. (14.5mm coil with about 16-3/8" free length) That's what my GT springs measure.

Before I decide to use them I'm looking for feedback on what I should expect if I install them on my '84 242 DL. Car is all stock right now with Volvo hydraulic shocks. Suspension is tight so if I'm going to take it apart it is for upgrading the suspension. Not interested in lowering but could go with IPD bars and gas shocks.

I've been using the aftermarket ones with those measurements for over ten years on my 93 wagon. I like them very much. They still have a good ride but are firmer for much better handling. I would definitely use gas shocks with them as that is also what Volvo did.

This is true also because the 79 GT has the strut tower plates and they raise the car about 1/4" Like on my 93 wagon.

I have a pair from 15A that I also bought some time ago. Might as well put all this stuff to good use. My only hesitation is because of how nice this car rides as is. I do like firmer, more controlled suspensions though.

Another concern is what to do about the rear if I use the stiffer front springs. Other threads suggest keeping the stock rear springs but use firmer shocks out back.

I have a pair from 15A that I also bought some time ago. Might as well put all this stuff to good use. My only hesitation is because of how nice this car rides as is. I do like firmer, more controlled suspensions though.

Another concern is what to do about the rear if I use the stiffer front springs. Other threads suggest keeping the stock rear springs but use firmer shocks out back.

Stock 242 springs are pretty thin wire.

Springs242Rear1.jpg

I'd be tempted to put stock 244 springs back there to try to match / improve the rates, and possibly snip a coil if it gets too jacked up.

That said the 79GT springs and old school IPD overloads are a good match, ride a little firmer but not harsh, but I have a good inch of rake that I live with until I do carry some significant weight.

Stock 242 springs are pretty thin wire.

Springs242Rear1.jpg

I'd be tempted to put stock 244 springs back there to try to match / improve the rates, and possibly snip a coil if it gets too jacked up.

That said the 79GT springs and old school IPD overloads are a good match, ride a little firmer but not harsh, but I have a good inch of rake that I live with until I do carry some significant weight.
\

Yeah but this is a 242. The most weight I carry is a full tank of gas.
You think with the GT fronts and OEM rears I would have a rake?

Maybe.....because I thought the GT fronts are an inch shorter than the soft 13.8 OEMs. (free length)

Oh wait....are you sayin' the 244 rears are stiffer than 242? Wouldn't think that'd be the case.

\

Yeah but this is a 242. The most weight I carry is a full tank of gas.
You think with the GT fronts and OEM rears I would have a rake?

Maybe.....because I thought the GT fronts are an inch shorter than the soft 13.8 OEMs. (free length)

Oh wait....are you sayin' the 244 rears are stiffer than 242? Wouldn't think that'd be the case.

One way to find out measure twice, install once.

The rear doors do add some weight in the back I'm pretty sure the Volvo engineers made both chassis' sit right.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5877733&postcount=28
Rear:
16-1/4" free length
0.475" wire

Last edited:
I was referring to stock Volvo strut tower plates which are quite thick. the 15A plates are a bit thinner and wouldn't raise the front as much as the plates from Volvo.

Back