• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

YEP, that manual swap is calling your name.

I was looking for a sport for my filter relocation and wanted to mount it pointing stright down behind the radiator, unfortunately that doesn't work unless you move the IC in front of the A/C condensor. So I ended up mounting it just above the frame rail, pointing forward as a temporary solution.

Thought of that but I wanted to use bolts and nuts as opposed to sheet metal screws. Just nicer on the old non-galvanized body :-D

Thought of that but I wanted to use bolts and nuts as opposed to sheet metal screws. Just nicer on the old non-galvanized body :-D

I feel you on that bit, 100%. mine is a 91' so that was not so much a concern ;-). Eventually I'll upgrade to an rx7 oil cooler, all metal IC (in front of of the condenser) so I can mount the oil filter using the lower radiator shelf, where it should be:cool:

Got the turbo put back together with a very ported turbine housing. Ditched the ARP nuts as they kept on backing out, for some copper plated stainless locknuts. Keeping the ARP studs.

As for the oil cooler, oldschoolvolvo wanted some info on how the stockers mount. Here's the explanation, should anyone need this sort of info (NPR and stock oil cooler or something to that effect):

harribert said:
oldschoolvolvo said:
Do you have any pics of the oil cooler installed in your 242? I'm planning out a +T swap and am having trouble visualizing where the stock 240T oil cooler is mounted. Thanks.

Here you go. In the first pic you can see it sits next to the intercooler. It rests on the rubber grommet used for the air box in NA cars:

Cold side intercooler neck. View from right above battery tray. Had to bend the bracket ever so gently. Still touches intercooler. Bothers me, but not enough to take it all out again. Too many things to do. Will bother with it once I find black paint that does not look brown in the sun and I get around to respraying everything:

This pic is from above the passenger fender. both lines cross over and down below the crank pulley:

You can see the same soft lines under the crank pulley, There is a bracket that holds the hard lines that shares mounting points with the alternator. They snake further toward the passenger side fender, then curve above the crossmember:

View from passenger fender. At this point I think it's pretty self-explanatory:

Let me know whether you need some more help!

Harald

Nice! I have been seriously needing to install the cooler/remote filter I have for mine.

Dude it took me months of not wanting to do this **** and perished oil to get to this point :lol: Hoping that the extra oil/cooling capacity will pay off in terms of the thing not being so unhappy in traffic/hot weather.

The boost creep issue <s>was</s> is also driving me slightly mad, so it was very convenient to do this while I was in there. The extra hose, fittings, odds, and ends completely obliterated my (admittedly shoestring) budget as they usually do.

Now I need to put together a catch can setup. Tempted to get a Yoshifab vented oil cap and mechanical pump cover as my PCV stuff and to get rid of the block mounted deal, and get a something in there for separating oil and draining it back to the crankcase.

Dude it took me months of not wanting to do this **** and perished oil to get to this point :lol: Hoping that the extra oil/cooling capacity will pay off in terms of the thing not being so unhappy in traffic/hot weather.

The boost creep issue <s>was</s> is also driving me slightly mad, so it was very convenient to do this while I was in there. The extra hose, fittings, odds, and ends completely obliterated my (admittedly shoestring) budget as they usually do.

Now I need to put together a catch can setup. Tempted to get a Yoshifab vented oil cap and mechanical pump cover as my PCV stuff and to get rid of the block mounted deal, and get a something in there for separating oil and draining it back to the crankcase.

During every oil change I have the filter off and contemplate installing it but don't. It's simply a job that does not appeal to me. Installing my catch can setup is also on my list as I am not too keen on venting to atmosphere. I also need to install the evo9 turbo I have. That might be a good time to do it.

The porting didn't help your creeps?

During every oil change I have the filter off and contemplate installing it but don't. It's simply a job that does not appeal to me. Installing my catch can setup is also on my list as I am not too keen on venting to atmosphere. I also need to install the evo9 turbo I have. That might be a good time to do it.

The porting didn't help your creeps?

Car's still half a pile of parts on the floor and half car. We shall see!!

Engine bay is back together. I'll call it done once I get the R-Sport cluster wired up and installed. Sender has been mounted remotely and for the time being I have it strapped to the sway bar. If for whatever reason it's not happy there I have the option to move it to a more convenient location.

So my Greddy catch can turns out to be empty inside (wa-womp) so what is a man to do? Baffle it! Put some coarse steel wool (looks untrustworthy...going to get something less likely to get sucked into the sump, probably stainless steel scrubbing pads), and put in some baffling in the form of drilled sheet stainless, with a 1/4" return fitting in the bottom. The theory here is that the drain will act as an additional input fitting, as the one that will end up going to the intake is isolated from the other two.

What if I put it behind the cat?

You can, but you can run the risk of fouling your mufflers too...Eventually.

You need to drill/weld in a bung with an angled fitting that creates a venturi so that the movement of the exhaust creates a vacuum (with the use of a one-way valve).

It can be done, but I just don't know if the exhaust on a 2.3 has enough volume/velocity to work. I spoke with Summit about it and they say that it doesn't work unless you have a straight through exhaust.

though there are people who have done it with decent success.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256223

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ln3Rv4xbWoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Drove the car to work today. No issues at all with the extra radiator and oil lines other than slightly lower oil pressure than what I was expecting. Gonna put on the mechanical gauge here soon to confirm that oil pressure is acceptable. Right now driving around at 80 degrees ambient with moderate traffic and a lead foot the callibrated coolant temp gauge shows 85 degrees Celsius. Perfect.

As for boost, with the wastegate actuator tightened to Garrett's specifications and the boost controller turned to what would have been dangerous amounts of boost prior to the port job, I see around 15 psi at WOT, highway speeds. Nice thing is that I now see this much boost at the top of first gear. I'll crank the actuator another half turn or two and see where that lands me. At any rate, the turbo is now nicely responsive without boost creep up top. Engine still wants more timing down low (especially at idle...it loooooves 20 degrees at idle with this larger cam), and less up top. Fuel could also stand to be trimmed back a bit. So far it does not look like I'm too close to running out of injector. Surprising given that these are S70 units that don't flow all that much. Probably because haggard old block. And low boost. Most likely that it's a haggard old block.

Oh yes, definiftely need a baffled fitting for the PCV. Blowby has not improved much.

Yes; it shows the equivalent of 14 psi on the gauge when warm. Last time I checked with a gauge it was around 28 psi at idle. It may be that the oil cooler brings it down significantly. Running synthetic 5w40 right now, which it seems to like. We'll see what's what once I plug it in.

5w40 is the nectar of the gods! (Rotella T6)

Down in CA where it gets monkey balls hot I run 15w40 (Rotella T5) to.

Is your car for sale?

So an alternator belt exploded, making the power steering belt jump out of place. That was fun.

Upon closer inspection it appears that the front alternator pulley is ever so slightly dented. Must have happened when I accidentally dropped it. Whoooops.

Back