• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My new old daily...project

So, because of everything that has happened recently with my motor, I finished pulling my motor out. I will post pictures tomorrow of why the garage looks like... It's kind of a mess, but for just pulling a motor, I honk that it doesn't look half bad.

Anywho, after pulling he head off I noticed that piston #3 is burning a little bit cleaner compared to the rest as there isn't as much carbon build up on the top. Also, there isn't a lot of piston slop (which I'm really happy about); and the valves look really good. I'm going to be taking the head to get cleaned and probably ported and polished. Tomorrow, kill be bolting the engine to my engine stand to start pulling it apart as really see where this faint knocking is coming from. And interestingly enough, when I bought the car it came with a set of con rod bearings and crank bearings; and the owner told me thy he would hear a faint knocking sound coming from somewhere, but didn't know where it was coming from. But when I first purchased the car the engine was a little noisy, but that we mainly because one of the rocker assembly bolts was loose and had a lot of valve lash because of it.

So now, I'm going to rebuild the motor as efficiently as possible as I don't want the car just string for a long time... Again.

More updates soon!

:cheers:

If you need to overbore it, ITM on ebay has .030 pistons for the b20's for a decent price. I'm happy with them since they arent 400.00 for a set.

It's funny that you mention that as I was debating having the sleeves bored to use B21 pistons, but at this point I don't have the funds for that as I wasn't expecting to have to do anything to the motor. Maybe later down the road (if I still have the car), I will probably build one up a little. But for now, a fresh rebuild is going I make me happy... And if I think positive about this whole motor thing, I will essentially have a new car by the one I'm done. Also, I'm getting my interior back today! :-D

pics pics pics

I just read your thread. nice job! But... where are the pics of the exterior together and new interior? Also I don't know if you have the new wheels on yet but just for the fun of it paint the 5 spokes gold.

I just read your thread. nice job! But... where are the pics of the exterior together and new interior? Also I don't know if you have the new wheels on yet but just for the fun of it paint the 5 spokes gold.

To be honest, I am a little sad I am not able to post pictures on here as of recently (my computer is jacked right now); and people have been wondering what has been going on probably.

As of today, I got some pieces of my interior back. When I say some pieces, that is because when I went to pick everything up today, the back seats didn't match the front (they were missing a thin beading around the edge of the seats and the door clip holes on the new door cards were off by about a 1/4 inch). So long story, after trying 3x to get one door panel to go on correctly, I said "f*ck it" and took it off and took it back to the upholstery shop to be fixed. :grrr: And to put this into perspective, I took my interior in a month and a half ago, was tossed around on what day they would actually be done; and when I stopped in to see how everything was going earlier this week, they hadn't even started on them. It took them a month and half to do my interior in a week (I checked on my stuff monday, and they had it done this morning); and to make it better, the stuff wasn't even correct. I talked to the upholstery guy and my guess is there was some form of miscommunication about what needed to be done and what was expected. And because they waited so long to do it, they forgot what my front seats even looked like. :grrr:

My frustration comes from paying someone a decent amount of money to do something and then not having it done right. We've gone to them for years and have never been disappointed, but I told one of the shop guys that I was disappointed as I had to wait a really long time for something to not even be done how I wanted it to be done. And it makes it even better when now I have to have my motor rebuilt. Sh!t has been somewhat chaotic lately, and it may be because I'm getting impatient with how everything has gone these last couple of weeks. I've had this car for almost two months and the only movement has been a few days driving it to work and moving it in and out of the garage. :-(

But in anycase, any wheels I buy I am definitely painting them gold as it would match really well with the rest of the car. I may try to just paint one wheel and see how it looks (I'm wanting to get different wheels for it), but it doesn't hurt to spray a little paint for slaps and tickles. :e-shrug:

I'll post pictures at some point this weekend or early next week to show how it has turned out so far.

As plush and comfy as Im sure those seats are I dont think they really fit the car well. Not that my 0.02 matter. Great job though. I'm fornicating gelatin

As plush and comfy as Im sure those seats are I dont think they really fit the car well. Not that my 0.02 matter. Great job though. I'm fornicating gelatin

They are very comfortable and supportive. The old 140 seats were massive and bulky looking, and when looking for seats to replace them with, I was trying to fid something that wouldn't be too outlandish. I think that the simple design of the seats kind of fits. They're not super sporty but give the car a little twist of modern style.

I had gotten a call on Friday from the upholstery shop telling me my stuff was done. When I went to pick it up, I noticed that he back seats didn't have the black piping around the edge of e seat; so I told them that I'm not taking hem and they are going to fix that. Also, when I brought the door cards back home (I was able to take some things that were finished), and found out that the holes for the door clips were off. So I ended up having to take those back in to have new door cards made with the holes moved a little.

Hopefully I'll get my motor back soon as I would like to start putting that together and make some legitimate progress on the car.

Soooo, I know that it has been awhile since I've posted pics of my progress and that has been due to some sort of corruption in my computer that I wasn't able to get to for a week or so.

In anycase, my motor is still at the machine shop. They've had it for far too long now, but that is because my crank turned out to be crap so they had to source another one. Also, they (and me included) were having some issues sourcing some exhaust valves as mine turned out being too thin and susceptible to becoming burnt. On a positive note, they said my cam, head and block looked really good, and from the day that I initially pulled the head I saw that the cylinder walls looked really good and didn't have any issues (scoring, etc). But being that my car has essentially been sitting for practically two months or so (except for the two days that I drove it to school), I've contemplated the thought of replacing the motor and trans with something else. It probably would've been faster and possibly cheaper. :roll:

But, since the car has been sitting, I have been able to fully install my interior and install some of the window rubber. I haven't taken as many photos as I would've liked recently, but I'll make it up tomorrow.

Here are some for your viewing pleasure:

Another thing, is that while my car has been sitting I have managed to have the glass guy come and install windows in it.

I will take a bunch of photos tomorrow and show ya'll how the windows and interior look.

:)

Looks good! I'd say keep the B20, just because I like the noise they make :nod: If you need a crank still, I might have one. I'll look tonight

I agree, I do like the noise they make as it's very mechanical. I just got back from the machine shop and they're giving me the new/better crank (I'm paying them a little to polish it), and that someone had messed around with the cam a little and did a stage two grind on it. I do remember that, when it did run, it sounded pretty good and had a nice little duration.

I wasn't able to get pictures today as I was running errands and doing some things around the house, but when I get home from work I will share some photos of the interior and such. :)

Here are some pictures of the interior all put back together (minus the arm rest and the plastic door latch surrounds), I think it looks pretty awesome. It may have taken longer then expected (as has everything else on this thing), it was well worth the wait. Ever so slowly this thing is starting to come together and be buttoned-up and proper.

Pictures:

(Sorry for the car being so dirty)

Anyways, I'll share more photos when some more progress is made.

Finally got my motor back from the machine shop (the head isn't finished yet and I should be receiving that by the end of this week), and had the chance to install some things. I put the crank a few days ago, and then yesterday I installed the cam and the pistons. I'll be picking up some additional parts today to further the progression of this, but right now I'm sort of at a stand still with the motor.

Some folks might not like the white (the oil pan is white as well), but it will allow me to see where oil leaks would be coming from if they were to occur... Also, it looks pretty bitchin' :oogle:

Box of parts I brought home from when I initially picked up the block ad stuff.

I will post some more pictures once there is some more progress worth noting. I'm getting really anxious as it's been sitting for far too long. All I want to do is drive it! :-(

matchy matchy! I like the white "redblock" :cool:

Thanks Chris! I was going to paint it all back to original colors, but I wanted to make it a little different and classy. The pulleys are white (I'll post pics tomorrow), the fan is creamy yellow and the front gear cover is going to be black (I haven't painted it yet). I'm really excited to see how the whole motor looks once everything is assembled. :-D

This week, I have been able to get more of the motor assembled. I received the head a few days ago and have since painted it and gotten everything to be installed. I also had the chance to paint the headers with some ceramic paint, and now they don'y look rusty and crappy. The motor will be going in later this afternoon, and depending on how everything goes I may throw the head on as well.

I've found that it's easier to install the block without the head on, mainly because the water lines are easier to install with the head free to move in any direction. And since there is barely any room behind the head, any additional space makes the job much easier and fewer curse words said.

I'm hoping that I'll have it running this weekend. :-D

All the pulleys have been painted white, and for a little splash of color I painted the metal fan a creamy yellow...

And, I've been able to button up the rest of my interior... The only thing I have left is to install the under dash console thing and the door latch surrounds. I had liked the original black dash bezel, but it wasn't enough so I bought some 3M wood grain vinyl and gave myself an awesome Bubinga wood grain dash insert. I think it turned out pretty sweet and changed the way the whole interior looks.

So, today I finished installing my motor and got everything put together. I even was able to start it and let it run and warm up and such. Here are some pictures of the motor:

But, and this is a major but... Everything looks great in the engine bay and there wasn't any oil smoke upon initial start up; but once it starting coming up to temperature, it has a very slight tapping sound that faintly reminds me (and my dad as well) of a loose wrist pin. My dad and I have assembled many of motors together and have heard a plethora of engine noises and we are stumped. I wish I could have the ability to listen to someone else's B20 motor to hear what it is "supposed" to sound like.

My question to all of you, is this slight taping sound normal for these motors? I'm wondering (and hoping) if maybe it will go away after a while of driving...

Any and all input is very much appreciated.

-Cody

Back