• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

smoothys 242 Turbo Build

Thanks. Lugs are just cleaned up stock turbo lugs.

Next for me is the whole cut and weld patch panels. The floors on mine look great, but the below the front and rear windows there is definitely some rotted out metal.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks. Lugs are just cleaned up stock turbo lugs.

Next for me is the whole cut and weld patch panels. The floors on mine look great, but the below the front and rear windows there is definitely some rotted out metal.

Keep up the great work.

Keep it up. I know a lot of guys hate fixing rusted panels but a little rust repair has never scared me. If I showed you the amount of rust I needed to fix on My P1800S build it would of given most people nightmares

Beautiful car. I love how you and your dad were able to work on this together. The end result is very pleasing to the eyes. Nice work. :)

My dad has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to 200/700 volvos. It was nice having him around on this build. I think him and I will be working on another one coming up. I have my 91 wagon I was thinking of +t ing.

I was able to get the terminal 11 trick to work and it is nice to have a few extra PSI of boost when you need it :oogle:

The cruise control repair will be on hold but I just ordered a complete fuel pump and accumulator assembly along with some fog lights, GT strut tower bars and chassis tie braces. SO much for not spending anymore money on the car this year :lol:

CBV or BOV?

I decided it is time to add some sort of boost pressure relief system on my charge air system. The question is do I run a BOV or CBV?

The BOV would certainly be easier to install as I would only need to drill and weld into one pipe on the charge air system so at first I was leaning towards adding one of these.

However I decided to add a CBV onto my build as I am not very fond of the "woosh" sound from using a BOV.

So I scoured the forums looking for information about adding a CBV to a kjet system and I was able to find that it is doable.

So which BOV to choose from?

I found that a few guys are using the Saab Heavy Duty Turbo Bypass Valve - Mode Inc. 770609148 so I decided to go this route. I was able to find one at a good price ( > $100) and when it arrived I was very pleased with the appearance.

I decided to mount the CBV between the Hot side of the high pressure IC piping and the cast aluminium double elbow before the turbo.

Below is what I was able to come up with

I also took the opportunity to fix a broken 8 mm nipple and upgrade the CCV input duct on the elbow as well

I welded these connections to the piping

And finally the full installation

I bought a tee which allowed me to continue to run my Hobbs pressure switch and supply the CBV the necessary vacuum it would need during operation

I haven't really been able to put the car through its paces yet but I did notice faster spool up time on the turbo and slightly improved 1st gear acceleration.

Once the weather warms up and I switch my daily from my 245 to my 242 I am sure I will have more details to share.

Time for a brief update.

I added some 17" Eiker e1's to the car and it surely added a great look to the car and with the 235/45R17 the car really hugs the road now.

I took the car to a volvo show in London Ont this weekend I ended up winning first place in the 240/260 category so they gave me one of these

I was flattered but the trip was by far more worth it then a flattering plaque.

Let me start off by saying we have all heard of those stories of guys finding an R sport head in the pick n pull for $100 right? Well to my surprise the guy across from me had some parts for sale and my eye quickly noticed this

So I asked the guy how much?

I was expecting like $200 or something like that which I would of gladly paid but he promptly replied

$10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow so needless to saw it was mine and with a little soap and water it looks like this now

Great event and well worth the trip.

Up next.

B230 intake manifold swap and hopefully a 3" downpipe from Jesse.

and then the car will be finally finished. . . . .

Well at least that's what my wife thinks :-D

Last edited:
$10?!?!

S***, I should have gone. I didn't go because I haven't had a car to take to the show ever since my 83 245 got stolen.

I've wanted one of those steering wheels for years, great find!

$10?!?!

S***, I should have gone. I didn't go because I haven't had a car to take to the show ever since my 83 245 got stolen.

I've wanted one of those steering wheels for years, great find!

Hope to see you next year but according to the organizers membership is low and they may no longer hold this event.

hell of a deal on that wheel, like a unicorn deal.

Yeah it was a surprising deal. keep in mind it was $10 Canadian so like $7 USD! That's like a McDonald's lunch!

great project and w00t for the deal on the steering wheel!

Thanks, looking forward to getting it installed. It rubs a little on the steering column plastic cover and the horn buttons no longer work but I have a solution to fix the horn and keep it looking stock.

So thanks to Jesse this happened.

Great product and I cannot state how well this fit I mean the installation was painless!

Look at the difference from the stock downpipe to this thing.

I did notice I lean out a little during a 3rd gear WOT. I was planning to replace the standard b21ft intake with the b23/b230 intake.

Hopefully its as painless as this downpipe install

Thumbs up to Jesse for a great product!

Looking great.

Why not a b21f intake? No need to plug injector holes. Word on the street is they perform better also.

Hold on a second I was at that meet too
Who was selling the R-sport wheel???
Can't believe I missed that!!! :grrr:

Back