• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 dash

nel621

Curious. What year did Volvo stop adding the dash speaker grille? I only ask because I see a cracked dash on fleebay for way too much $$$ saying it is from a 91. I thought the cut off was 89.

I tend to avoid ebay because the sellers for some reason think way too highly of their stuff and sell for almost double than you'd get here.

The ebayers know what they have. j/k
I think it's kind of a turbobricks club thing to try to take care of our community as compared to outside of the community where volvos are just an expensive car people drive. Thus a higher priced part along with covering your ebay fees.

I would never buy a dash on fleebay. I only check to see what crazy prices people are asking. The dash that is for sale on there now for $369 iirc is in worse shape than the one on my car right now. IF I had it it would be the trash. No, I don't need one, have 3 spares thank you.
91-93???? Then they all had the grille?? Confused.

The ebay seller is probably incorrect listing it as 91. I have a 93 wagon no speaker and have parted out 90 models that still had the speaker. The cars had a bunch of small design changes in 91. Stuff like the deleted speaker grill. Black door handles and wagon hatch hinges on the body. In 91 they even went to a black front grill surround but chrome came back the next year. Every car in the US got abs standard and we even got our first special edition that year. Having had nothing cool like that since the turbo and GLT models.

I think the engineers for the 240 were planning on building the car past 93 but the board killed the car.

Quick question, are we actually able to throw a speaker in the dash or is that grill just there for decoration and to slowly deteriorate with the sun?

92 makes sense. Several of the very early 240s I've had the speaker was in there. Also geting beat on by the sun. I don't remember a speaker there on my 79 though. By then they were already using the 4" door speakers in that car. That car had a am/fm stereo radio. Woo Hoo.

Quick question, are we actually able to throw a speaker in the dash or is that grill just there for decoration and to slowly deteriorate with the sun?

Well, you could put a speaker in there, but it's not a standard size relative to automotive speakers made nowadays. What it's designed for I believe is for a mono radio with just one speaker. Anything stereo uses at least 2 door speakers and there's not much use for a center speaker.

I went through this when I replaced my dash and found the old - no longer connected - center speaker that was pretty roached. I looked into replacing it and reattaching it but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the trouble or reportedly bad sound.

It is possible to buy something that fits in there that actually has 2 speaker cones and a midrange. They sell those for installing stereos in vintage cars where you want to use the original cutout and not add door speakers. Seen those online various places.

The ebay seller is probably incorrect listing it as 91. I have a 93 wagon no speaker and have parted out 90 models that still had the speaker. The cars had a bunch of small design changes in 91. Stuff like the deleted speaker grill. Black door handles and wagon hatch hinges on the body. In 91 they even went to a black front grill surround but chrome came back the next year. Every car in the US got abs standard and we even got our first special edition that year. Having had nothing cool like that since the turbo and GLT models.

I think the engineers for the 240 were planning on building the car past 93 but the board killed the car.

ABS wasn't standard in '91, that was '92. It was an option in '91.
My '91 (american) sedan had no ABS. And IIRC the ones with ABS used a converter box so they could use the same odometer/speedometer as the non-ABS version in that year.

And I got the same feeling. Also a Volvo press release in '91 said something like "the 240 will be made for years to come."
Two years later:
"Cancelled to make room for more 850 production"

92 makes sense. Several of the very early 240s I've had the speaker was in there. Also geting beat on by the sun. I don't remember a speaker there on my 79 though. By then they were already using the 4" door speakers in that car. That car had a am/fm stereo radio. Woo Hoo.
Might be that cars without the stereo option had no spot for it?
My grandparents went to sweden to pick up an '88 wagon new that was not equipped with a radio at all, IIRC. I distinctly remember my dad said he was cutting holes for speakers when he got the car. I do not remember if there was a hole on the dash for it, since some jerk ran a redlight and t-boned it when I was 8 (If it hadn't been for that, I'm convinced we'd still have it and it'd be the most rustless manual 245 on this side of the mississippi).
I'll try to check the catalog when I get home.

It's actually 1992 when the grill was eliminated. I looked at pics of several 1991 240s that I sold and they have the speaker grill on the dash.
My '91 had no speaker on dash. That always annoyed me.

Last edited:
If they were smart at Volvo like turbo brickers and volkswagon. Volvo would have built a factory in south america and kept building them for another 20 years. Even if the car would have been removed from the US market. The rest of the world would have liked to buy 240s for many years. Looking at how long VW built the air cooled beetle is a good example of how to be smart with the automotive world market.

I forgot about that first year optional stuff. Volvo did that with the 89 240 with the airbag being optional that year. I haven't seen a 91 around here that isn't ABS. But that's good to know some are out there. This area it would have been a big selling point so the dealers probably only bought abs cars.

My 91 245 does not have ABS or the center speaker in the dash.

To me, that makes sense. I'm almost positive I have seen 1991 240s with both versions of the dash as built from the factory. I just couldn't come up with any pictures to convince myself my memory was/is correct. ABS was an option in 1991. Most 1991 240s do not have ABS.

I tend to avoid ebay because the sellers for some reason think way too highly of their stuff and sell for almost double than you'd get here.

People tend to forget that it isn't free to sell on ebay. Very rarely will people on tb pay what items are really worth. Remember these cars aren't being produced anymore and the amount of cars that remain dwindle every year. So in turn, the value of parts increase every year. Also people on tb tend to be cheapskates because they paid xxx amount for their car and can't justify the cost. There are also surprising amount of people that just won't go to junkyards or buy parts cars. You gotta pay to play.

People tend to forget that it isn't free to sell on ebay. Very rarely will people on tb pay what items are really worth. Remember these cars aren't being produced anymore and the amount of cars that remain dwindle every year. So in turn, the value of parts increase every year. Also people on tb tend to be cheapskates because they paid xxx amount for their car and can't justify the cost. There are also surprising amount of people that just won't go to junkyards or buy parts cars. You gotta pay to play.

^^^exactly.

condition of said item
s-l1600.jpg

Back