• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 NA: Clean Slate for Something More?

Yes also has a lot to do with crank steered vs piston steered rods. Again, just what I've read on here many many times.

Oh here's something else I read on here from Roy.

I am not a metallurgical engineer, I am just regurgitating what I've read on here.

Here's the link you asked for.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=343562

I didn't ask for you to regurgitate other guys chatting about what other guys chatted about what they read in a fan-zine......You said "they change the material" which is why we few adults here are so dismayed at the words coming out of your fingertips..

Nor did the poor newbie here ask for misinformation about theory of what you think you read.

If you had said
"I read once, somewhere some gossiping guys chattering about other guys chatting about what other guys chatted about what they read in a fan-zine once, they seem to remember...." that the block casting material may have changed---but nobody ever bothered to do an assay so its just garage-talk over beer"
then that would have been a good comment..

You see, you do not have the experience or raw intelligence or the judgement to differentiate between amateurs kibitzing and just gossiping over memories, and hard facts,,and adults talking.

That is why virtually every adult here tells you to shut up, don't talk, and if you cannot do that to go away and hang with your peers where you can impress them and not always derail threads with mindless chatter.

My mid year "first generation B230 has only god knows what but 4 years ago it as well over 300,000 miles...EXTREMELY mild state of tune, decent service by in all likelihood nerdy type owners and extreme light use has a major part in that story..

And that is nothing exceptional in any fuel injected car with similar low output, service and use.
Hell carbuetted V4s routinely made 200,000 miles when only occasionally given a little oil 40 years ago.. Your frame of reference is too limited...

Okay John, Roy was wrong. Why don?t you PM him about it

Again your immaturity, and unbelievable sheer stupidity makes you unable to even begin to adress the issues... You were asked questions..They were posed to help you down a pathway, logically leading any normal adult to a inevitable junction..
And you pick some 100% unimportant thing and make a wise ass answer and ignore a chance to learn--which you so screamigly need because you're such a ignorant illiterate ****, that it is painful to know you're over 11 years old...

Again, what sort of lack of upbringing to you have? Tell us you aren't wasting money and people's time going to "college"...

OP As with many engines. The first about 25hp or so is fairly easy and after that you get diminishing returns for effort but still can get more power.

I run my 93 wagon with just some bolt on improvements and it keeps up with traffic just fine. Is it fast? No, but it's fine for what I need it for and is improved over what Volvo sent us. My car is a five speed though. A manual swap would improve the driving experience and would have a good rear axle for acceleration. So I would suggest consider a manual swap with some bolt on improvements on the engine and that will give you what you are looking for.

Again your immaturity, and unbelievable sheer stupidity makes you unable to even begin to adress the issues... You were asked questions..They were posed to help you down a pathway, logically leading any normal adult to a inevitable junction..
And you pick some 100% unimportant thing and make a wise ass answer and ignore a chance to learn--which you so screamigly need because you're such a ignorant illiterate ****, that it is painful to know you're over 11 years old...

Again, what sort of lack of upbringing to you have? Tell us you aren't wasting money and people's time going to "college"...

Did you PM him yet

Well, if you don't want to weld/cut/custom driveshaft etc. for the moment, you might want to consider simply swapping a manual transmission and figure out what final drive you have.

The shortest they made is 4.10.

This is simple and (I don't know where you are) but I'm pretty sure with a little bit of patience, looking in pick and pulls, craigslist and posting here in wanted, you could get what you need for cheap.

I had a 16v NA manual 4.10 740 and it would accelerate ok and was nice on the highway.

That is a reasonable fist step.

Now, if you want to go full retard, we can talk.

Yeah, I have the same feeling.

That's what happens when anybody go against the doxa around here : put a turbo on a 300 000 000 000 000 miles engine, everything will be fine, you just need a good tune.

I don't get it.

A real rally racer would have used a 4.3x or 4.5x out of a 140.

Hello OP, hope you are doing well.

Don't let a few loud'n'proud posters bull hook your thread.

A 740 is a great car, completely different stylistically to the thoroughbred 240, but a nice faux american 80s style.
Year and model depending only about 100lb heavier than a 240, less if you find the hidden engine bay weights and remove them.

On the topic of NA power, it is a matter of breath ability.
16v head,
Port the intake as best as possible,
IPD does have an aftermarket cam option for a few extra ponies,
Can try uping the compression ratio,
A list of other tweaks.

If you are in it for the numbers, this isn't the route, especially bang for buck.
Build the car you want to drive.

@everyone:

Back again! Received no update emails from the forum server until just this afternoon, and then saw what had been happening. Quite a number of rounds on different points. Hope all can stay in orbit for a while...

At any rate, I hear what everyone's been saying about a changeover to MT. Makes good overall sense in some ways. Probably too much to consider right now, with all the necessary hunting for bits and the wife's self-admitted appetite for gear metal. Glitterlube is definitely not my thing :run:

That said, whatever beans get worked into the mix would translate into even better results when considering a possible future gearcase swap. Meantime, these cars all seem to have been endowed with locking converters (true?)

I've been diligently bumping around & getting a feel for other assorted stuff. Looks like we might be needing an upgrade to the ECU end at some point; as Rex Regina is the word here. MicroSquirt seems as though it could serve up some tuning relief and a bit of fun a couple steps "down the road." Great to see a Java-based product which runs anywhere in this space. Would also love to have the kit experience of the MegaSquirt 1 units; and need yet one more reason to grab hold of a scope I've been brooding over for way too long.

Also, seems as though there indeed isn't much in the way of pro headers ( likes of http://www.kgtrimning.org/700-ser/exhaust-system/sport-exhaust/typ1-740.html ) on this side of the pond; although it seems as though stock would probably do the job for the time being. At the power/flow levels we're looking at here, bigger might not be better anyway.

Any tips on overseas companies which make performance stuff for these cars and will ship to the US?

Finally, someone mentioned ballast weights being smuggled into the front end of the 740 somewhere. Seriously!? If so, where?

Thanks again --

@everyone:

Back again!
Thanks again --

Dialog works best in these sort of cases as a question posed, answer back thing. Like this imagined dialog:

Crusty Old Geeza Who Has Built a Couple of Hundred "FUN" 4s: You willing to pull the head off so you can mill 1,6mm off?"

Student: "Well what about a computer upgrade?"

COGWHBCHF4: Uh willing to pull the head and mill 1,6mm off?"

Student "I was thinking abou" (SMACK!!!!!!!) Ooooowwwwwwwwwww!

COGWHBCHF4: Uh willing to pull the head and mill 1,6mm off?"

Student : Hey, Take it easy!

hWT9u6yPzKU

https://youtu.be/hWT9u6yPzKU

COGWHBCHF4: Again willing to pull the head and mill 1,6mm off?"

Hello John V, outside agitator.

Was wondering, but glad to finally know where I landed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_mASr1djMM

(love the ties)

At any rate, you mentioned earlier,

You can carve the fawk off the head and safely take compression out to at least 11;1 and you can use a cam designed to make some power and there's even chips for the ecu to fatten up the fuel and get rid of the stock 6250 rev limit...

And, as I mentioned in my reply,

In the final analysis, I'd need to get to the goal without turning the car into a polished-fender octane poodle; and without tanking core reliability along the way.

So, in light of this, I'm probably not too interested in anything beyond stock in this particular area for the time being. Could be on the table for later, if necessary. Indeed:

Might be enticed to entertain water-vapor injection, if such a system exists and would be absolutely necessary.

;-)

Back