• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Orange 75 242 V8 Swap

Suburban's got 31+" tall tires.

I have 235/50/17 in the back, which are pretty big at 26" tall, but it's still a difference of 15% from 31" tires. It means that when the Suburban is going 70mph, I'm only going roughly 60mph. But from what I can tell, the Suburban should be sitting around 2K rpms at 70mph, where I feel like mine is at 4K.

I think more of the gearing will have to do with the rear end ratio, which I believe is 3.73 in my Ford 8.8" (Explorer rear end) but I'll have to check the tag to be certain. That's not super tall, but it's also not the shortest ratio.

Either way, something needs improvement. I first need to figure out if my OD is working or not.

Last edited:
Did you change the tire size and shift patterns on the trans?

The computer was ordered with these tires specified.

And the stock shifter was modified to work with the trans. So the trans was left alone, but the lever at the bottom of the shifter was extended. That could potentially be the issue, that the OD setting is being passed by and it's going straight to D... but I think that's unlikely.

I haven't re-made the detent plate yet, so right now you can simply move the shifter without pushing the lockout button. So you can feel each click a the transmission, so I can pretty clearly feel when I move it out of N, and into OD, D, 2, and then 1.

Not sure about the vibration, I have about 20k miles on mine and they are doing fine. I know the older 240 are kinda clunky old car feeling vs the newer 240. I have owned everything in between. I have cruised 80 mph driving down to AZ-CA and back with no problems.

Not sure about the vibration, I have about 20k miles on mine and they are doing fine. I know the older 240 are kinda clunky old car feeling vs the newer 240. I have owned everything in between. I have cruised 80 mph driving down to AZ-CA and back with no problems.

I'm assuming these are poly suspension bushings in the motor mounts, right? Do you happen to know if they have an OEM rubber equivalent that the poly was replacing? Meaning, could I buy stock rubber A arm bushings for a Ford or something, and replace these poly ones with stock rubber?

The other thing I need to check closely is if there's a direct contact happening somewhere that I missed, such as on the cross member or tranny tunnel. That could be the whole problem.

If you end up swapping the bushings - check for clearance as the rubber will let the drivetrain sag a bit more under weight. Mine's poly (with a poly torque mount as well) and a modded rubber tranny bushing, to eliminate the vertical give in the mount. Much smoother/quieter than the 5.0L in it before, and it was on all rubber. With used drivetrain, I suppose there's a chance that you've got a balancer issue, but I wouldn't run there first.

I'm assuming these are poly suspension bushings in the motor mounts, right? Do you happen to know if they have an OEM rubber equivalent that the poly was replacing? Meaning, could I buy stock rubber A arm bushings for a Ford or something, and replace these poly ones with stock rubber?

The other thing I need to check closely is if there's a direct contact happening somewhere that I missed, such as on the cross member or tranny tunnel. That could be the whole problem.

Someone else ask me about it, I don't think the manufacturer sells rubber bushings. The manufacturer can't sell you one set of bushings you need to buy them in the hundreds or more. Friend of mine built his own mount using the smaller diameter same manufacturer bushings and his have the same feel as my wagon.

The od works they just run at high rpm mine sits at 3k at about 70

weird, I think mines around 2800rpm doing 80mph with a 3.73 rear end.

Someone else ask me about it, I don't think the manufacturer sells rubber bushings. The manufacturer can't sell you one set of bushings you need to buy them in the hundreds or more. Friend of mine built his own mount using the smaller diameter same manufacturer bushings and his have the same feel as my wagon.

That was me..... The vibration got about 15% better after putting 3k miles on the car. Im not driving the car much, no working a/c with 98? temps here.

Man, that's shiny.
All I've done is wash it so far. The paint is mostly in really good shape, but that shine is all editing.

good thing he didnt drive it

LOL Yeah, it's not really ready for prime time. But I'm happy it made it there and back.

ICT determined that the relocation brackets were not the proper thickness, so they've got a new set on the way over. That will fix the belt alignment issue so that I won't be afraid to rev it up.

I'm being overly harsh about it, it's actually a very solid and low mile car. I just have high expectations for it, so I have a lot of work to do to get it to that point. Fresh rubber suspension bushings and decent front shocks will go a long way.

have the wife drive it for real feedback and criticism (especially in her current state):-P

Oh, she has driven it and she loves it! She's even driven it to work.
I mean, she agrees that it's too loud and the buzzing dashboard are annoying, but she's looking forward to cruising it when it comes along a little more.

Back