• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The O.G. Volvette (R.I.P. Bill Boyle)

BR1CKHOUS3

I like the tuna here
I'm going to start off by saying I am a huge fan of Dug's TTls1 740 wagon, but I am here to share a car that is *technically* one of the original Volvettes.

To make a looong story short, this car is currently a 1976 Volvo 265 from the front doors forward, and a 1990 245 from there back. The car was originally a complete 1976 265 that was owned by a man named Bill Boyle who passed away from cancer earlier this year (R.I.P. Bill). It has a stock Lt1 engine and automatic transmission from a ~90 C4 corvette and the swap was done over 20 years ago. The car was hit in the rear end, Bill contacted my father to help him fix the car, and the splicing remedy was thought up and completed. The car is now painted the factory pewter-like color (apparently a 1-year only color?) and is mostly stock. More will come, but time and funding will always dictate the pace of a project. I want to be clear about one thing, I am NOT the builder of this car. All credit goes to Bill Boyle and my father Larry as this was a buddy project and shows how amazing they are at what they do. I'm just the detailer :cool: Here's how it looks as of this afternoon. Gave it a quick wash before pulling my 740 in to do some work.

O3FmIGkl.jpg

qoOPy2El.jpg

6H1iOYVl.jpg

I've recommended RP80242GT+T to my Dad for restoration on the gauges

gbkB07Kl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that Bill passed away. I still have his phone number in my phone. He called me several times to get parts for this very car.

Nice guy. Very old-school. RIP Bill.

Nice.

The paint color (code 119 - forget the name) is at least a two-year color, since it was used on the 242GL, 244GL, and 164E in '75 as well. I think it was also used in 1977, maybe 1978, on the 260's. Have seen a '77 265GL with the dealer-installed saratoga top pop-up sunroof installed in this color over quite a few years. In fact, last time I saw it, I was surprised to see that the car was still on the road and seemed to have been moved from my old hometown to where I live now.

Anyway, definitely interested in seeing what your dad winds up doing with it.

Thank you guys. The car was passed on to my dad so he plans on finishing the interior and a few odds and end, adding an A/C, and showing the car in memory of Bill and driving it on nice days. Brakes, coilovers, etc will come as they become available to us. Also needs LSD :nod:

Not to naysay anything about Dave Barton, but there's a fellow on the board that specializes in R-Sport cluster repair/upgrades/mods that may be more well suited for modifying that particular cluster. I believe his name is Roger? Goes by RP on the board. His username is RP80242GT+T, he's the man to talk to about R-Sport clusters for sure.

Not to naysay anything about Dave Barton, but there's a fellow on the board that specializes in R-Sport cluster repair/upgrades/mods that may be more well suited for modifying that particular cluster. I believe his name is Roger? Goes by RP on the board. His username is RP80242GT+T, he's the man to talk to about R-Sport clusters for sure.

Now that I think about it, you're right. Dave just makes faces I believe. Will give RP80242GT+T a shout. Thanks!

Also needs LSD :nod:
Yes it does!

Bill took me for a ride in it shortly after it was completed. We did the one legged burn out for what had to be 100yds down 9th street. :lol:

Good times. RIP Bill. :-(

To make a looong story short, this car is currently a 1976 Volvo 265 from the front doors forward, and a 1990 245 from there back. The car was originally a complete 1976 265 that was owned by a man named Bill Boyle who passed away from cancer earlier this year (R.I.P. Bill). It has a stock Lt1 engine and automatic transmission from a ~90 C4 corvette and the swap was done over 20 years ago. The car was hit in the rear end, Bill contacted my father to help him fix the car, and the splicing remedy was thought up and completed. The car is now painted the factory pewter-like color (apparently a 1-year only color?) and is mostly stock.

And your pops is 1 of 2 people I'd actually trust to do that kind of major body work.

I wonder if he used that PERFECT blue 90 245 I sold Kruse/Lucas that got smashed in the front. Hope so. I'd like to think the nicest original 245 I ever had lived on.

Last edited:
what you mean? thats the r-sport gauge cluster from back in the GT days.

I think what he's asking is whether it's a bolt-in affair, which it is for 1980 and older models. I think Roger makes a mounting plate to use those gauges in the '81+ cars, otherwise it would require some serious modification.

I wonder if he used that PERFECT blue 90 245 I sold Kruse/Lucas that got smashed in the front. Hope so. I'd like to think the nicest original 245 I ever had lived on.

All I know about the donor wagon is that it was a slick-top and is damn near perfect :nod: I'm telling dad to start getting ready for Davis next year so we might actually have enough time to prepare :lol:

Was going to say exactly this

Money is tight for Dad these days, but if anyone gets a lead on a black interior (carpet and seats, mostly) for a 245 I'd like to try to get them for him to keep him motivated. Car is just sitting in storage and hiding from this heat :grrr:

Dad scored a pair of hood pads from a C6 corvette and cut them to fit the hood

1hsnXrQl.jpg

Car is well received at the local events :cool:

899P5uSl.jpg

Last edited:
Back