• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Atom's Amazon Wagon Project Update Thread

Have you decided on a color yet ? Is the insurance company making any progress on the claim ?

Not exactly. Will be off white, preferably leaning towards green/grey vs cream. Seen a Porsche color I liked and a BMW color I like.

No, insurance is not on the ball at all.

Well, the adjuster is here right now, looked at the car, loves it, (he’s a BMW guy) and is out writing the repair estimate. He said he’s not even going to run comparables for valuation. He said, “it’s gotta be worth at least $50k like this. You’ve done so much work I wouldn’t even know where to start” (I just kept my mouth shut). He took extra pictures of the outside and the interior to show his team. I popped the hood and he took a bunch of pics under there too. Fingers crossed.

what kinda adhesive are you blowing through the purple HF gun for the headliner?

2a9544d9a4ab546ced7c7f844581e0b5.jpg

Well, as expected the current issue is the adjuster came back with a fairly low repair estimate (as compared to the shop I stopped by the day this all happened). The plus is he wasn’t interested in totaling it at all. The negative is that he booked it low expecting a body shop to submit supplemental invoices. If I repair it, I can’t submit for supplementals, so I’m reevaluating the path forward.

Just curious - who do you have it insured through? And is it 'traditional' insurance, or Hagerty's/Grundy/etc.?

Having been through this a bit (you probably have too) the shops are usually pretty good at having the insurance company come up with the extra $ if the adjuster blows the estimate. We live in a world where the insurance cos. would have you believe you can accurately estimate the cost of a repair by sending a few pics in via an app.....crazy.

Just curious - who do you have it insured through? And is it 'traditional' insurance, or Hagerty's/Grundy/etc.?

Having been through this a bit (you probably have too) the shops are usually pretty good at having the insurance company come up with the extra $ if the adjuster blows the estimate. We live in a world where the insurance cos. would have you believe you can accurately estimate the cost of a repair by sending a few pics in via an app.....crazy.

I have a standard policy through Allstate. My insurance agent told me I?d have trouble getting one of the speciality insurance companies to cover it since I don?t have a garage. Most companies require a garage and limit mileage. He said the valuations he could find for comps put it at $8,500 in good condition, $12,200 in excellent condition and $21,000 in concourse. He said if I felt I needed more than $10-$12k if it were totaled then we would look at a different policy. I?m fine with those numbers since I?d buy it back no matter what.

Yeah, I fully get that a shop could submit for a supplemental adjustment, but the repair I?d get from a body shop like that will probably be repair the quarter and shoot the quarter blue (probably base/clear (I don?t think any shops besides Maaco use single stage anymore) and I?ll have a fixed car with a super shiny quarter panel. It doesn?t feel like ?before it happened?. Hence why I?m going to do what I can and hope there?s a solution I can make work.

I had a similar situation almost 20 years ago with mine except the other party’s insurance was on the hook. Insurance and body shop finally agreed on repair costs (body/paint on both rear qtrs). Then I sat down with body shop and negotiated additional amount to paint the whole car. Good lick with whatever you decide.

I can't remember if the Grundy policy on my 242 mentions anything about a garage, I do not believe it does. I'm not theoretically supposed to drive it to work every day, but I don't anyways. Also there are mechanics and gas stations and car shows on the way to/from work - ya dig? Probably the most salient point is that they have never asked for proof of anything, checked up on me or the car, asked about mileage etc.

Doesn't sound like your agent worked very hard for you if he didn't even pick up the phone and ask them!

Doesn't sound like your agent worked very hard for you if he didn't even pick up the phone and ask them!

To be fair, I didn?t push the point either. I know there?s no way I could sell this car for the $10-$12k I could get for it in a total, so I was fine with the standard policy. After I go through all the effort for HQv2 I may re-evaluate.

My farmers “classic” policy just has the stipulation of “driven to meets, club events, maintenance/repairs, or other enthusiast activity” so basically my agent said that if I drive it to work and get into an accident all I have to say is I was taking it to a meet, or getting it detailed, or taking it in for repair or maintenance, and they don’t check. She writes a lot of these policies and most people daily them during the summer months.

Some pics taken by the photographer doing the video shoot for PNWWagonfest last Sunday. Give him a follow IG: @woyshnis.media . I’m going to load them full size in case anyone wants to use them for other stuff. Last photos of it in this configuration

9c58a465604bddf875c268de3c6d8838.jpg
5e47df39c23d855ec564ce0e4dda5d13.jpg
74a3c38d008b75eec12389d1663b4eb3.jpg

This is how you ship calipers when you don’t want FedEx to chip up the hard work again (also when you like building over the top stuff)

03be60486df7efb43f7e6ef28f242fb3.jpg
b623ab8cb1a2112feaf759d00ae59c81.jpg
10767cd3acc716b550ae3487bf0f5d67.jpg
e9edceb534af2ba7982e339aaec1d68b.jpg
dbba71ad1fd233fdf18fc1b55c765d9e.jpg
f55e0ff670b49be39ea820f2db80dee9.jpg

I included the socket I had to grind down to fit in the recess in the bottom. The calipers are bolted through the bottom with standoffs and nuts on the inside so they can’t back out. I just hope they don’t take it as a challenge and really beat the crap out of it.

Back