• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pig: '79 242 16vT

Some more progress. Still haven't heard back from Blouch about getting a wheel swap done. Going to check with ATP about doing a CHRA exchange. Duder told me it's likely inadvisable...I'll hold on to the "likely" bit and hope it's a valid exchange. Otherwise I'll do something stupid like bolting on a Kinugawa cold side in case that other options are not viable.

Anyway, got most of the motor back together. Waiting for an eBay 57 trim to show up so I can at least get the car back on the road until I figure out what I can do.

P2BcC0yh.jpg

YGMzb38h.jpg

l1usUuBh.jpg

The kinigawa/mambatek compresser housings are really nice. It that's all you need I wouldn't worry about going for it.

The kinigawa/mambatek compresser housings are really nice. It that's all you need I wouldn't worry about going for it.

I called them to check about a compressor wheel that actually matches. They have a copycat GTX2860 with the correct size compressor wheel and cover, if the numbers are anything to go by. The standalone compressor wheel they sell for the GTX2860 has an inducer tip that is about 4.1mm too narrow, so that won't work.

Then there is the issue of balance. Some say BB turbos are more tolerant of it, some say they are significantly less, comparing to journal bearing turbos.

As far as the turbo shop that told me they could do BB turbos? Yeah, they don't touch Garretts.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I want to make some bad decisions before going with something reliable and proven like an LS.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I want to make some bad decisions before going with something reliable and proven like an LS.

I built several stroker aircooled engines and threw thousands of dollars at "learning how it used to be done" before I gave up and swapped a Subaru engine into my Bug. How I wish I had done it sooner!! I could have done like 4 swaps for the amount of money I spent on one stroker engine, and I could have been driving around rather than working on the car or working to pay for the car.

But no matter, do what makes you happy. As long as it's still making you happy.

I built several stroker aircooled engines and threw thousands of dollars at "learning how it used to be done" before I gave up and swapped a Subaru engine into my Bug. How I wish I had done it sooner!! I could have done like 4 swaps for the amount of money I spent on one stroker engine, and I could have been driving around rather than working on the car or working to pay for the car.

But no matter, do what makes you happy. As long as it's still making you happy.

For sure. Thankfully this engine has only cost me about $2750 top to bottom ($3500 if you count my minor turbo ****-up), and it should make 350 hp. T5 swap was $1500 net...I did some wheeling and dealing to mitigate out of pocket costs as much as possible. At this point an LS2+t56 complete powertrain would have cost me about the same amount of money. Perhaps less if I did an L33 with cam and springs. Reliability aside, dollar for dollar I'll be getting the same return in power for the money.

Jaysus. How does one not feel the damn thing not cutting anymore, jamming, and warping before it snaps?

How does one do that. Took nothing actually when that happened roughly 8 years ago. Was cutting the threads, it stopped and it just broke as if it was nothing. I've put more torque on smaller taps with out issues. 8 years ago, make mistakes, learn from mistakes and move on to bigger and better things like a v8 engine. Not even mad, happy to have the experiences and able to move on to other stuff.

For sure. Thankfully this engine has only cost me about $2750 top to bottom ($3500 if you count my minor turbo ****-up), and it should make 350 hp. T5 swap was $1500 net...I did some wheeling and dealing to mitigate out of pocket costs as much as possible. At this point an LS2+t56 complete powertrain would have cost me about the same amount of money. Perhaps less if I did an L33 with cam and springs. Reliability aside, dollar for dollar I'll be getting the same return in power for the money.

If you're able to get LS2+t56 for that price in your area you let me know. Thats cheap

Back