• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Power steering pulley removal/installation

Rob245

Can anybody tell me what tool (with dimensions and part number) they used to remove and install the pulley on the power steering pump?

Or, what is the hub size?

Thanks.

The car is a 1992 240.

For what reason are you doing this?

I need to change my pump with a refurbished one.

I already googled it and found the link you posted, I was wondering if anybody figured out if Volvo used Ford or GM dimensions... or some weird stuff.

Last edited:
I need to change my pump with a refurbished one.

I already googled it and found the link you posted, I was wondering if anybody figured out if Volvo used Ford or GM dimensions... or some weird stuff.

Some weird stuff on the outside dimensions. The GM and Ford pullers ALMOST fit, but will pull the lip off the soft Volvo pulley.
Inside diameter is standard Saginaw.

Some weird stuff on the outside dimensions. The GM and Ford pullers ALMOST fit, but will pull the lip off the soft Volvo pulley.
Inside diameter is standard Saginaw.

Ok, so can you tell me what tool you used to remove and install the pulley on the power steering pump?

Ok, so can you tell me what tool you used to remove and install the pulley on the power steering pump?

A modified puller, like the link above. I only had to destroy one pulley to learn this.
I tried a Posi-Lock 3-jaw puller, and it just pulled through the lip. The Volvo press fit it a bit tighter than most of the standard Saginaw stuff I measured.

I made a pulley hub for a 5.0 conversion, and it's .0015in larger on the ID, and it still does the job just fine. Still requires a press and a puller.

Back