• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T3/T4 not spooling in first

Ohh I understand now. But the real question now is how do I seal it?

Maybe teflon pipe thread sealant, allowing the sealant to dry before reinstalling.

According to the parts diagram the o-ring fits on the adjuster. Apparently the thumb wheel just screws out of the housing, lube the o-ring, slip it onto the adjuster and reinstall. Volvo part number for o-ring is 947114.

11.0 (7/16") OD
6.7 mm ID
2.4 mm thickness

Closest I figure on standard o-ring size is:
7/16" OD
1/4" ID
3/32" thickness

Last edited:
Found a slightly bigger o ring for sale in my city with the dimensions of :

3mm thick with a 6.5mm ID. Groove is 3.2mm wide so it should fit. It should also be slightly bigger and hopefully seal it up better.

Well, after crunching the numbers, I have come to a conclusion as to my spooling issue. My compressor wheel is just too damn big. Laying it out with a T04E 60 trim compressor map and using a cfm estimate puts my turbo spooling 20 psi right about where it is right now, at 5100 rpm. After all it really was just having troubles spooling a big turbo. In a way I dig the lag though haha.

You can?t determine spool from a compressor map.

A properly sized turbine wheel and housing has no problems making 20 psi out of a T04E 60 trim by 3200 on a redblock.

Ugh! Wtf! Just when I think I’ve solved it a comment like that makes me frustrated again. Why!? Why can’t I just get this damn turbo to spool earlier? My wastegate works fine I’ve tested it at just wastegate pressure and it opens perfectly at the set psi. I’ve checked my timing using the notch in the actual crank gear not the pulley and everything is in check there. I’ve done boost leak testing to the point where any leak significant enough to cause that much of a difference in spool would have been found. Idk what else to check. Is the fact that it’s a stage 3 turbine causing issues? The turbo is rated for a max 500hp from what I’ve read. When looking at the compressor map I seem to be behind the surge line explaining my long spooling, but people all over are claiming it can be done. I just don’t know where else to look!

You can’t determine spool from a compressor map.

A properly sized turbine wheel and housing has no problems making 20 psi out of a T04E 60 trim by 3200 on a redblock.

What gear?

Here are links to the turbo:

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-034

http://www.himni-racing.com/turbochargers/garrett-t-series-journal-bearing/garrett-t3-t04e-stage-iii-turbo-60-trim-500hp

The Garrett number: 466159-5008

Last edited:
Nobody has any other ideas? I?m open to even obvious stuff I may need to look over. As for boost leaks, I feel certain I don?t have a leak large enough to cause any significant issues. Only things I can think of still are making sure the turbo still spins freely as well as possibly cleaning my air filter?

Are you running an m46? What rear end ratio do you have? You might be running out of gear in first. When I had an m47 and 3.73 I couldn't build full boost in first before I ran out of rpm since the gearing was so quick. Good for about 5 car lengths before having to switch to 2nd.

"you feel certain you don't"

does not mean "I know I don't"

These are things you need to *know*

Are you running an m46? What rear end ratio do you have? You might be running out of gear in first. When I had an m47 and 3.73 I couldn't build full boost in first before I ran out of rpm since the gearing was so quick. Good for about 5 car lengths before having to switch to 2nd.

I am running an m46 with whatever stock rear end ratio comes on an 87 740 turbo in Canada.

"you feel certain you don't"

does not mean "I know I don't"

These are things you need to *know*

Wouldn’t a leak causing this much of a difference be extremely significant? I’ve created a diy boost leak tester with a pvc end cap and a schrader valve all hooked up to a bike pump. Can get the pump up to 5psi and then I can no longer force more in. Once I disconnect the bike pump at about 5 psi it takes about 8 seconds for it to go back to 0 psi. I’ve used the soapy water trick and managed to find and repair 2 reasonably small leaks around my throttle body but that is all I could find so far.

Last edited:
OP a smaller turbo will wake sooner and may even make boost in first.
That great big thing that someone says will wake by 3200.... Is that 3200 in third after waiting for it to build enough pressure to.... Yee-Haw! Brap-brap-brap... (Rev limiter) shift wait wait wait Yee-haw! ... Rinse, repeat.

Point is that much fun is had with one that wakes by 2000 and operates in its efficiency range to redline for your power goals. That HUGE HP number? How much fun is that when it only happens via driving it like you are trying to kill it?
Also... Big torque WILL break that M-46. Happens with stock power.

Well how far does 1st gear take you when you give it the nurtz? A few car lengths before it tachs out?

Yea around that. But even with a short first gear, this thing doesn’t even spool until 5000 in 2nd.

OP a smaller turbo will wake sooner and may even make boost in first.
That great big thing that someone says will wake by 3200.... Is that 3200 in third after waiting for it to build enough pressure to.... Yee-Haw! Brap-brap-brap... (Rev limiter) shift wait wait wait Yee-haw! ... Rinse, repeat.

Point is that much fun is had with one that wakes by 2000 and operates in its efficiency range to redline for your power goals. That HUGE HP number? How much fun is that when it only happens via driving it like you are trying to kill it?
Also... Big torque WILL break that M-46. Happens with stock power.

I understand what you are saying however I would really like to avoid just walking around the spooling problem by buying a new turbo and just work with what I got. Spooling at 3200 sounds awesome if that’s a possibility..

Programmable EMS. Tell it to do anti-lag.

But that is not happening with what you have, is not an easy bolt-in or free.

Or get it to retard ignition timing when not making boost with large throttle openings to dump heat in the exhaust.

Programmable EMS. Tell it to do anti-lag.

But that is not happening with what you have, is not an easy bolt-in or free.

Or get it to retard ignition timing when not making boost with large throttle openings to dump heat in the exhaust.

I see. This would make sense if my turbo was actually taking that long to spool with no other issues. The thing I?m trying to tackle is if I need to just accept the slow spool or if something is actually wrong, slowing the spool.

Maybe you're just used to the 13c and you're not happy with the slow spool of the T3/T4. Maybe you want to buy my 15g that's leaking oil. Maybe you want to pay what I paid for it so I take no losses.

Just my $.02

Back