• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What engine do I have?! Turbo, 240 transplant, can't ID

Scuby

Hi all

I recenlty got a donor car. 78 245 Express. It's crunchy. It's a parts car.

It pings under load and isn't horribly fast.

Turbo spools plenty. Looks like a TD04, watercooled.

Dizzy on the block. It has all the hallmarks of a b230fk/ft. could be a b230et. However the ECU is a single unit without an EZK box.

The ECU just says:

JETRONIC 0 288 000 346

The MAF number doesn't cross reference either.

The only hit I got on that ECU number is for a 340/360. Doesn't make sense.

The engine starts and runs very well and is smooth, no hiccups. Just the pinging under acceleration more pinging the heavier the load.

To sort this out I need to what I'm working with and I can't find a thing. All I can say is it's a 3 wire MAF. Watercooled turbo.

AMM number is:

0 280 202 096

I'll have a better look, but for now I haven't been able to find resistors.

this also comes back as 340/360 in the b200f range....

I'm starting to think I may have a b200f that someone +t'd.... which kinda sucks... by the plumbing and all else it looked identical to all the b230fk's I've seen in the last few years...

0 280 000 346 shows up as Volvo 340-360 with B200
0 280 202 096 shows up as Volvo 340-360 with B200

The 360 GLT used the fuel injection engine from the 240.

At the front of the engine along the left side of the block below the cylinder head is usually the engine type. Then further back is the engine number if I recall correctly. If it was electronics from B200 then that would make sense that it pings under load. The tune would not have the fuel it is asking for when boosting.

At the front of the engine along the left side of the block below the cylinder head is usually the engine type. Then further back is the engine number if I recall correctly. If it was electronics from B200 then that would make sense that it pings under load. The tune would not have the fuel it is asking for when boosting.

I'll check 2morrow. Thanks.

Any idea what ecu interchanges with the 346 to account for boost?

If all else fails Incan look for a harness of an lh2.4 and do all that but I'd like to keep it simple...

I'm not up on the euro spec stuff... but you should look on both sides of the motor (I think it's on the RHD side of the motor which is the left if you look from headlamps (ie exhaust side).

Stay out of boost for a bit.

I don't know what to suggest. I'm confused by the lack of a ignition box. If it was LH2.4 you'd have one somewhere. A one ecu engine control unit would be something like a motronic system which does spark and ignition.

I was told the engine was swapped in in Sweden although I'm thinking it was done here in The Netherlands. I'm thinking to engine comes out of a 360glt and is an b200f.

The flap maf and ecu numbers match a 340/360 number on a site or two...

I didn't see a 5th injector but definitely the auxiliary air valve.

Here are some pics:

The engine bay:

What seems to be an ignition/fuel pump.relay:

Ignition related?

The auxiliary air valve:

The dizzy internals:

Casting numbers:

Dizzy is normal for k-jet and carb engines. Vacuum and centrifuge adjustable timing.

Hall sensor tells it is 84 or younger.

Fuel rail from LH 2.2 or 2.4.

AMM from LE Jet equipped B19E/B200E so injection system is from 360 GLT or GLE. 84-85 because no Renix.

Just lock advance mechanism in distributor get Megasquirt and be happy.

Dizzy is normal for k-jet and carb engines. Vacuum and centrifuge adjustable timing.

Hall sensor tells it is 84 or younger.

Fuel rail from LH 2.2 or 2.4.

AMM from LE Jet equipped B19E/B200E so injection system is from 360 GLT or GLE. 84-85 because no Renix.

Just lock advance mechanism in distributor get Megasquirt and be happy.

thanks for this summary. It's what I've arrived at too so that makes two of us. Pulled the engine number of today and it's a b200e. So it looks like it was pulled out of a 360 with LE and the rest added. Looks like some 740 stuff on there.

After having pulled the timing back some it no longer pings. However, I should be able to get more out of it right?

What's megasquirt going for nowadays? Thinking of pulling an LH2.4 harness out of a 940 and using it's ECU and EZK boxes with correct sensors etc.

I have a few b230fk's and a b23et to work on first. How much boost can I run on this B200E though? it's a 10:1 stock compresison ratio...

thanks

Water pump is b19/b200 specific in the 360. Shorter. So compare that with the usual.
How is the oil return made? Looks stock? With a +t it is usually not looking very stock.

Back