• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 My AC blowing itself up, or someone installed NO2 on my car.

EivlEvo

Crew... figures I start talking about yutzing with my AC and I'm driving home the other day from getting a flat tire replaced and my car makes a pretty awesome noise (pressure discharge) and I see the telltale fog of refrigerant going off to kick the planet in the wedding vegetables.

It only lasted for a hot second, and the AC still works fine, but... this emitted on the drivers side (compressor side) on a 1993 245. Everything looks in order under the hood. What in the Samuel Hell Jackson occurred?

Heh your car gassed off. Makes sense if the system was running the compressor a lot. we are getting 90 degree weather here. It may have made a bit of excessive pressure in the heat of the day.

I would say make sure your pusher fan is coming on. Mine up and died last summer out of nowhere. It makes a big difference. You can pull the plug off the pressure switch on the right inner fender rail. Then short the terminals together in the connector and the fan should run if the key is on. On hot days like this I listen for the fan now and it usually comes on. If your pressure switch isn't turning it on that might make for a lot of pressure in a 134 system.

Heh your car gassed off. Makes sense if the system was running the compressor a lot. we are getting 90 degree weather here. It may have made a bit of excessive pressure in the heat of the day.

I would say make sure your pusher fan is coming on. Mine up and died last summer out of nowhere. It makes a big difference. You can pull the plug off the pressure switch on the right inner fender rail. Then short the terminals together in the connector and the fan should run if the key is on. On hot days like this I listen for the fan now and it usually comes on. If your pressure switch isn't turning it on that might make for a lot of pressure in a 134 system.

I'm betting that's exactly what it was... it's been crazy hot here too. Probably the heat causing the pressure to go up and the system is releasing that excess pressure.

Its could be a few things that causing pressures to go way up and causing the blowoff valve to release pressure. 1st. As mentioned your condenser fan not working. 2. You have a leak in the system and its sucking air in which cause pressures to go up.(pretty rare but can happen). 3rd. Your Drier Desiccant Bag broke which releases beads into your system and will plug your expansion valve. This happened on my car once while i was charging the system. It was a brand new drier and all of the sudden pressures went sky high and then pressure valve released freon. Pretty scary deal if you dont know what in the world is going on.

This is typically where I casually mention that my pusher fan is removed.

Any advice on that? The AC seems fine otherwise, and I'm fairly positive (based on my acceleration to pick up dinner this evening) that it isn't nitrous.

checking pressure is the first step. Give us your info yr and model. My 90 240 did not come with a pusher fan. Im thinking 92 or 93 they came with them.

I have a 93 with R134a and I personally removed the pusher fan. My pressures were a bit high when I last checked tbh but...

INTERESTING NEW DEVELOPMENT!

Upon returning from lunch today... I notice an incredibly AC like "hissing noise" coming from that front left corner of the vehicle. My colleague (the curious type) insists that I pop the hood. I do... and I see a nice one inch slice in my upper rad hose with some coolant blasted all over the front of the car.

Now... I'm not sure I'm ready to just say that my AC DIDN'T discharge, because it certainly sounded a bit more compressor related... BUT... a damaged rad hose can certainly make some weird noises and of course... steam... so...

That's how my day is going.

Gonna try and wrap it up with some gaffers tape and make the 15 minute trek home. At least it isn't 100 right now. Oh wait...

Interesting... it seems weird that this much later the coolant would not have already leaked out, but I guess anything's possible.

I guess fix the hose and see if the A/C makes any noise over the next few days. If not, it's safe to say you've found the problem!

Interesting... it seems weird that this much later the coolant would not have already leaked out, but I guess anything's possible.

I guess fix the hose and see if the A/C makes any noise over the next few days. If not, it's safe to say you've found the problem!

Well... I also got a flat tire on the 19th and thus... didn't drive the vehicle for a few days, then had friends in town and didn't drive the car so... it did sit a bit. This is maybe the third drive really... BUT...

It's the upper rad so... it would only cycle when the stat opens.

Well... I also got a flat tire on the 19th and thus... didn't drive the vehicle for a few days, then had friends in town and didn't drive the car so... it did sit a bit. This is maybe the third drive really... BUT...

It's the upper rad so... it would only cycle when the stat opens.

Ah, that would make sense then. Maybe that's the problem then!

OLrcX-Q7Dns2gaFcFeYm-E3dcqbvfjTc6Z6sO1KF2eONY5clCsgPn-vxto0EnmyA3hm_9SAgMfmVjCJj1ePPsUjsJwncS8xaqMQk7p4aWCStaEegyXv3LlI81M8tyM9nNykq7AOvZpDssel6pRlCY_ESC3IbLztAPr6qZSiGQJyG9Waa4hOmYYvZd-j2XL0cy4VNJIy3TfyXul9S356tKeNokOGfZhNImggLElJ33mo4D5wt7ZU-f5gyEAKg1SWv6_rdiCJ-2I6WmUy0V-lQIW1KetBqLCW5ydviImBkxpkuprl-C3K_TQUERL0aDTwCpSUS055SU_MRvKvmGwemYZ5Fkk3wVOoa_XLGhSwsjWo_XYvh4cnbWW80FS90m8EhdCFc-qbxkwByTQ1I-IykfuOgHAqCia9zKQky3zI9exQiXDA45-hi7_BKSAMGBvq9dHzbe3bDjJ7BqUgFPX1q86f94QIR-L9zHj4hLlLGX7eyZAYsWlA9gcyaXArizQaLOKq20Lrx_ao_RxN7LqUU3QvqwWVoDIKn81Q1C3VJ70f7th1ES6G9_3C0KMPWp212yYj92YtbQ8abBSZToxFTu-lnGug-g3PE6LUNG8c=w600-h800-no

Also... gaffers tape repair got me home just fine... didn't spill a drop.

r_fJp-WqlI_ciwnc_oZYPCUVW99ihSdy9Dby69q3QcuhqdpUUIrvEG29Rjz49sSNW7rHdxu16r1M9QtN4G_lV22ihf-J7cmdd0SgKk3Cgn7lW9p1P610JWIxKGnsnUJIMXh0ZJiorAXdmnG8Eu7o5fVjFVqogHBiDZq2ss63pyzMIiprCxEmthOupFTThTk6M5F-Pnk85Q-GRmSRkL4sKPEA2ksP867GSdHCFvfw0aDmYSfX4Dx-Wj-zoaC5ilxKF_WPQHOUTj2dXcc0o0_-EO_LYvk0voYf9QPQZnXcQ4yY_lvIRM69GGpM2lRs0yy7bwmh-sp36H1JmDw4yZRAwF8jyFIj85HHGle9k3BxHt9Bsz7xzA6zDGeBFCHtMW3-7MDYgE935QdyNw9fBX3LvP5oTbdqdoKRRjlEQZnSjjEAqpHvdb8B_SfgSpeOXGvM2iXq0BG2-t6OZATGF7Vj3Lg9F8rYgFF7-RvFCNMtPRztu-MxTn_7_P0TgvJeRRk1F1YYNw-jkB7iZ-Td8M7DhUHfF6D_BdY9UMIe1xF9VjITlyhXHCghWSPDgLEslTLdVc1syET2gJAWF_8y6UCr_CDUxz85pfjvvZ0n5NE=w800-h600-no

And I even happened to have a GENUINE VOLVO hose in my supplies! So... excellent!

Back