• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 240 NA Down Pipe EGR vs NON EGR

jsdevel

Does anyone know if there's a difference between EGR and NON EGR downpipes on a 240, other than the cat flange?

The reason I ask is I made the mistake of buying a magniflow cat from a local performance store prior to looking into the down pipe flange. The magniflow cat has a weld on flange, but the EGR down pipes have a donut flange. My Car unfortunately has EGR, but it looks like the EGR Valve pipe screws into the manifold. Is the EGR manifold taller to compensate for the vavle pipe? Or is it the same height as a NON EGR manifold? Pipe length on the down pipe is my only concern with purchasing a NON EGR down pipe to make my magniflow cat work.

Any help is appreciated.

Same the EGR one just has that port on it to screw the egr pipe into. Any aftermarket cat will usually have to be welded in unless it's made specifically for a 240 to bolt in.

EGR goes into the manifold.

My understanding is that EGR is fatter at the cat connection to it can take a bigger cat to appease California.

-Ryan

EGR goes into the manifold.

My understanding is that EGR is fatter at the cat connection to it can take a bigger cat to appease California.

-Ryan

I can definitely tell that my existing CA cat is much fatter than the federal magniflow cat I purchased.

Sounds like there isn't a difference in manifold height between non EGR and EGR then. Is that correct?

I can definitely tell that my existing CA cat is much fatter than the federal magniflow cat I purchased.

Sounds like there isn't a difference in manifold height between non EGR and EGR then. Is that correct?

Correct. The only difference is the port in the back for the EGR tube.

Thanks all for the info! Just got off the phone with ADEQ, and was informed that the only test my 1991 240 has to pass is a tailpipe and dyno test. Visual inspection isn't going to verify whether or not my CAT is CA compliant :D So it looks like I can use a non EGR downpipe with my non EGR Magniflow CAT :)

Back