• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

So I've been driving this thing around town for the past few days without a problem. It's pretty rad.

After pestering The Full Banana, I ordered the "military style" battery connector setup he talked about. Pretty cool looking.

boots_3_1024x.jpg

i also ordered some because this car and mine are now inexorably linked in destiny, and also because they cost basically nothing.

Tom inspired me to pretty up some things in my engine bay. My level of patience to make everything perfectly tucked and shrink wrapped is still not quite there. Inspiration nonetheless.

Derrick and I put power steering on it today. Amazed how easy that was...LS1 Camaro pump ($80 used, with bracket), $19.99 pulley from the parts store, $14.99 longer belt, $18.99 smooth idler pulley to replace the ribbed idler.

Everything bolted right up and becasue Saginaw never changes, the lines from a 91+ 240 pump matched right up, threads and all.

NwIzzGwh.jpg

efgXvT9h.jpg

It's looking pretty raggedy under the hood at the moment. I'm going to spent some time rerouting wiring and generally cleaning stuff up here soon.

Alignment/tires should happen next week, and I'm getting an exhaust built the week after that.

Now I'm wondering if I ever even tried the stock hoses on my power steering. I think I just assumed they wouldn't work and got AN adapters for both ends.

Derrick and I put most of the interior back in this weekend. It's starting to feel like a real car again. Don't have any pictures of that though.

The power steering is also going to be a thing I think. After just a few minutes of driving, the fluid gets really hot and the pump starts groaning. I'm going to do a couple things. First, I think the pressure relief valve from the Volvo pump should fit and that may help. I already have a truck pulley on it, so I'm spinning the pump as slow as I can with stock stuff (I think). I'm also going to add a cooler for the power steering fluid. It's currently got DexIII ATF in it, but a different fluid may be better suited. We'll see.

Anyway, here's some gratuitous V8 noise for your Monday evening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cz9onkKB-yo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I started buffing out what paint is left on the car and I'm pretty happy with how it's cleaning up. It's no show winner, but it can look better than it does today.

6EWTT8hh.jpg

X2M46qWh.jpg

NE93H5Zh.jpg

And finally, because I'm an idiot with no concept of the value of time:

rfdAZ1Jh.jpg

I also ordered tires for the thing, Falken RT660s. 225/45-17 for the front and 255/40-17 for the rear. Those are going on this Friday along with an alignment.

End goal is to have 275s square on the thing but I don't think we're quite there yet. That's gonna take at least two new wheels and a LOT of fender work.

Last edited:
The volvo fitting swaps right over. I did this with my wagon years ago with no issues. I was using power steering fluid then swapped back to Dex III. I see no difference with the fluids.

The volvo fitting swaps right over. I did this with my wagon years ago with no issues. I was using power steering fluid then swapped back to Dex III. I see no difference with the fluids.

Do (or did) you have issues with the power steering getting too hot?

I'd try a 91-93 240 pump with the Camaro reservoir and pulley and go from there. Otherwise you will need to find out what the flow rate and pressure spec will be for your rack, then pick up a pump specced to suit. The advantage there is that you get to tune the level of assist you want.

I'd try a 91-93 240 pump with the Camaro reservoir and pulley and go from there. Otherwise you will need to find out what the flow rate and pressure spec will be for your rack, then pick up a pump specced to suit. The advantage there is that you get to tune the level of assist you want.

Just swapping the regulator will give you the same effect. It's the same pump

I got a regulator/adapter for mine, it extends out past the pulley so the hose isn't attaching behind it, adapts to AN fitting, and reduced the pressure some.

I remember why I didn't use the stock hoses on mine - the manifold and crossover pipe go forward there, they'd fry the stock hoses. I had to run longer hoses and loop around away from all that hot stuff.

Do (or did) you have issues with the power steering getting too hot?

It did and Ive never have had any issues with over heating. The pump and hose gets rather warm but so does my LS swapped 73 C20.

Just swapping the regulator will give you the same effect. It's the same pump

Isn't the fitting/regulator a different flow from the volvo pump vs. the truck pump. I think that's what the guys at STS told me.

Back