• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

90+ manifold bracket onto b21ft

yarsoon

dreams of junkyards
Searched this... and found no pix (visual mind here)....

in the middle of a drawn out headgasket job on my 244... and upgrading to the 90+ exhaust manifold. Got my hands on a support bracket that goes with it, but I find that the b21ft block doesn't seem to have holes in the side to match it?

Someone must have done this job before -> are folks tapping the block to add the bolts? Seems daunting, but perhaps there's some other option I'm missing?

thx - J

make your own bracket for attachment to existing mountingpoints in the general area??

support braket

I made my own bracket using part of the bracket for the catalytic converter. I welded a support piece over to the manifold stud onto the support bracket for the cat. I think in 84 the block has a support that matches up to the 90+ manifold. Prior to that you either have the drill out the bosses or make something else. The bracket I made has been working fine. If you are using the stock cat then you have to make something else up. I'd get rid of the stock cat asap, anyway.

My B21F block had nothing really close to the manifold, and I don't think we even looked at adding a bracket on the B23F block. I'd like to, but so far have not. I'm using ARP stainless studs in the head, so hopefully they won't break.

I made my own bracket using part of the bracket for the catalytic converter. I welded a support piece over to the manifold stud onto the support bracket for the cat. I think in 84 the block has a support that matches up to the 90+ manifold. Prior to that you either have the drill out the bosses or make something else. The bracket I made has been working fine. If you are using the stock cat then you have to make something else up. I'd get rid of the stock cat asap, anyway.

Good ideas - hadn't really thought about hooking something up to the cat bracket. I'll have to fiddle around with the bracket to see if something similar can be rigged up with what I've got laying around. This may have to wait until I get the car to an exhaust shop..Getting rid of the old cat and going to a bigger downpipe is next on the list..:nod:

Back