• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tail pipe rusted off...wait to install IPD exhaust or pay Midas now?

MalibuLX3

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon @ 203,xxx miles w/ NA B230F

Yesterday I was driving home from work, and I as I was pulling into my parking lot, I heard a pipe dragging on the ground...clank...yup, there's my tailpipe! The entire flange coming out of the muffler rusted right off.

The muffler was replaced ~7 years ago, and the over-the-axle pipe was replaced ~5 years ago. I think the whole muffler needs to be replaced, as I bought the standard $50 replacement when I replaced it ~7 years ago. It looks pretty crusty on the side where the tailpipe fell off. The pipe going into the muffler looks pretty crusty as well, but I haven't probed it yet to test it's integrity.

My questions is, with my extremely limited space and tools (apartment dweller), what should I do?

1. Pay Midas $400-$500 to replace the system from the cat back

2. Buy an IPD Sport Exhaust and wait until I can install it at my parent's house in 2 months

3. Other?

4. Is driving without a tailpipe going to hurt anything by sending the exhaust/heat not where it was meant to go?

Important things to consider:
- I'm taking a 1,000 mile roundtrip on July 4th weekend
- I live in VA and have an emission inspection coming up in September.
- I have the skills, but I am not able to perform any work on my vehicle in my apartment parking lot.
- I have some basic hand tools, and could do this at my parent's house, but not for another 2 months

Last edited:
Aren't there any decent muffler shops around there? Maybe even a TBer who you could pay to weld up or install something for you. I'd buy the Ipd sport exhaust and see how much it would cost to have it installed by someone who has the space or a shop to do it in.

I don't know anything about Midas but there aren't many shops I'd feel comfortable giving $400-500 to.

Are you referring to the front muffler or the rear muffler? If you're talking about the rear muffler, you can get that muffler and the tailpipe, plus 2 new rubber hangers, some clamps and some PB Blaster for under $100. Find a deserted parking lot and change it out.

Are you referring to the front muffler or the rear muffler? If you're talking about the rear muffler, you can get that muffler and the tailpipe, plus 2 new rubber hangers, some clamps and some PB Blaster for under $100. Find a deserted parking lot and change it out.

Yes, rear muffler. My problem with doing it in a parking lot is that it would be pretty hot and I don't want to burn myself! :lol:

Here are some pictures I just took tonight. I'm thinking about trying to find a small 90 degree exhaust pipe and essentially create a turn down right out of the muffler. I don't care about the sound, I just don't want to exhaust getting trapped under the car and heating things up.

If the downpipe looks fine run it....its possible to burn a valve but not probable. Did a trip from salt lake to socal 700 miles in 100* weather and with a 4000lb trailer on the 245 with a cracked downpipe and an exhaust that looked like that.don't worry bout the heat.

I wouldn't be worried about the exhaust heating things up. I would be worried about exhaust coming back into the car. Watch out for that more than anything. The Ipd kit taken to a member on here or even just a local garage should be able to fix that up for you no problem.

Get a Flowmaster from JC Whitney for cheap and find a local exhaust shop that will only replace what is necessary. Man that is really rusty. But if you can do it yourself then that is even better (at least cheaper). Or throw a cheap Cherry Bomb on there and run it straight back. Or go to the the junk yard and see what you can find in decent shape. Good luck though.

A complete catback from fcp with new mufflers and all hardware is 136$ shipped
You can do it all yourself in the Midas parking lot.
Screw giving them 500 perfectly good dollars

I drove a 240 like that for a year. You can only smell exhaust with the windows down, sucks it back in through the rust holes in the body. If your car isn't too holy then you'll be fine. Just keep vents open and shut windows if you smell exhaust

My workspace:
imagejpg2_zps59f12fad.jpg

New muffler & tailpipe installed:
imagejpg1_zps7ef1c382.jpg

Old muffler & tailpipe:
imagejpg3_zps90ac70df.jpg

the exhaust piping is usually custom bent and most times results in less than perfect fit.... and the "universal fit replacement mufflers" you get at muffler shops are pretty restrictive.

I suggest you go with the IPD sport exhaust or a quality aftermarket stock replacement or OE Volvo system.

Seems few exhaust shops can hang a Volvo system that does not end up beating on the floorboard, or hitting/rubbing on something under the car.

the exhaust piping is usually custom bent and most times results in less than perfect fit.... and the "universal fit replacement mufflers" you get at muffler shops are pretty restrictive.

I suggest you go with the IPD sport exhaust or a quality aftermarket stock replacement or OE Volvo system.

Seems few exhaust shops can hang a Volvo system that does not end up beating on the floorboard, or hitting/rubbing on something under the car.

Yep there's only like 1/2" margin of error when going over the Axel. Two custom systems made, both rubbed on speed bumps. Stock height.

Back