• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Skinny rods don't suck that much

Pre-ignition is what usually kills them. Consider the extra load over a clean ignition event. That does make the achievement on LH more impressive than correctly mapped aftermarket management, IMO.

cheers

James

Pre-ignition is what usually kills them. Consider the extra load over a clean ignition event. That does make the achievement on LH more impressive than correctly mapped aftermarket management, IMO.

cheers

James

cheers

James

Yep, the amount of pressure is far greater than the assembly would see under conditions productive to acceleration/

I thought it was pressure...So you saying we shouldn't torque the rods?
Shirley they should be tighter than just finger tight ...

If common cylinder pressure is around 75BAR, I wonder what pressure it is when the fuel 'splodes big time rather than burns?

Why would anyone torque a bolt in place? ;-)

By torque, I am referring to its linear cousin, of course. If I could have this motor produce a peak 250 lbs-ft at 8000 RPM I would be a very amused camper with very safe 9mm rods.

Nice. I wish I could be content with 226whp. I would have so much more money.

How does that kind of power feel in your 9?

Nice. I wish I could be content with 226whp. I would have so much more money.

How does that kind of power feel in your 9?

I'm glad you went and got it Dyno'd it's nice to get the butt dyno calibrated every now and then.

I bet it skoots along pretty good for a family sedan.

I wish I wasn't so cheap I kinda want to get a real number for mine, not just, "oh it's around 250hp"...

Good on ya bud.

I read on TB that 9mm rods are good for 500hp no problems.............;-)

It's on borrowed time based on the past experiences expressed on this forum, but if it's not beaten on all the time it could exceed expectations.

I never had a problem with my 85 760 with 380k on it. I sold it and between Myles and some other guy doing 6k rpm clutch drops the thing put a hole in the block.

But I was pretty nice to it, and they just beat it like a stolen car.

I only did 180 238 at insta15 on a 13c. but did you know I had the shims in the cam way off!? I'll try this vx cam and try another few more pulls. Number 4 intake valve was hanging open the whole time. All of them were really out of spec at least .015~

It's on borrowed time based on the past experiences expressed on this forum, but if it's not beaten on all the time it could exceed expectations.

The more I work on my car and learn things the more I have learned to ignore groundless opinions and second hand anecdotes. Based on forum lore my engine should be a division by zero and I should have had a piston blast a hole through my chest by now.

I only did 180 238 at insta15 on a 13c. but did you know I had the shims in the cam way off!? I'll try this vx cam and try another few more pulls. Number 4 intake valve was hanging open the whole time. All of them were really out of spec at least .050

My pull was with the kickdown cable off, so line pressure was at bare minimum. Pretty sure torque was reading low plus it's a Dynamics and your pull was on a Dynojet.

:-P

Most rebuilt motors have the rods of the fatty variety. I did not pay attention to which rods came out of my 89 b230ft, but the ones that went in were of the fatty variety. I am quite certain that mahle only makes the fatty rods for their b230 pistons. I have yet to see 9mm rods in rebuilt early b230.

The I have had both skinny rods and fat rods come out of blocks. One leaves a big hole the other a smaller hole. I'm not sure if I would call people's experiences groundless here. Your right it may last a long time but mine didn't. My K(ool-Aid man) block lasted awhile at 15psi, brown tops, 50/63, bigger intercooler but it let go in a big way. There was nothing quite like that breaking glass noise coupled multiple thumps coming from the floorboard as engine bits turned shrapnel bounce off the street and back into the bottom of the car.

Back