• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Yamaha's 5.6L F350V8 Crank into B8444s??

This question is for the ones in the "know" category such as anyone working on the development team (or related to them) for this Yamaha/Ford/Volvo creation, or any guru on the subject would suffice.

A far stretch perhaps, but here's a Yamaha F350V8 crank on eBay for $350 or best offer; https://www.ebay.com/itm/125044751040 and if it does fit as a near drop-in this would essentially bring the displacement up to 5.3L :cool: with a stroke of 96mm as there's little replacement for displacement.

I'm super interested in knowing as perhaps others working or about to embark on B8444s swaps would be too.

Last edited:
Exactly that, curiosity. Like many on here, why not? $350 for a drop-in crank, assuming it is as such, is very little to go from 4.4l to 5.3l.

I'm not foregoing what's involved but for myself I'm seriously curious in knowing if that's an option.

However I take it that, like many including me, you don't know as well so respectfully speaking to cost is just speculation for now...

Last edited:
I stand corrected, the crank would bring things to 5.3l and not 5.6. 2mm bore increase is required for obtaining 5.6l, again assuming that it is doable.
Their XTO 5.6l begets 425hp naturally aspirated going to DI and 12:1 comp ratio, not too shabby.

You can't just drop a crank in though

Correct and at this point I'll agree with most nay-sayers. It's just an assumption made based on the engine's family line, like many known engine sibling part swaps people have done on here (or anywhere), be-it novel or not. Some are drop-in most are not, depending...

Short of purchasing everything to contrast-measure-compare, I don't know. At risk of sounding arrogant, that is why I am kind of stirring the TB pot for an experienced answer.

But hey, do you know the answer to my question?

Call one of the outboard shops in town. They more than likely have spec sheets laying around to know whether things are within tolerance for rebuilds and I'd imagine with that the sizes and measurements.

I know it's an old thread but I've just found it by Googling and joined up. I'm currently doing this exact install.

First thing, no its not a drop in fit. In fact the Yamaha boat engine is very different to the car engine, with only the bore spacing the same. Pretty much everything else is different. For the crank the mains and big end journals are all different (both in diameter & width) between the two. Counterweights are larger in the boat, and both ends are different. It seems the firing order is also different. The pic below shows the two cranks side by side (car at top).

Your second issue is the additional stoke, all 16mm of it. It will never fit as is in a car block as the block height is too short.

With all that said, it can be made to fit which is where I am at the moment. Lots of machining required but it's doable. Once we have the crank in the block we will work out a rod/piston combination to suit. The extra block height will be added with custom torque plates attached to the block then liners inserted. We will most likely go with the 96mm piston to give 5.6L capacity. We'll make a custom timing chain to cater for the required extra length and custom camshafts to suit the different firing order. For induction I'm going with stack injection and do away with the whole Volvo inlet manifold. Very excited to get this build underway.

IMG_0303.JPG

I love the ingenuity here but...man that is a TON of effort for a custom solution that gives you _________ benefits? Like why go this route instead of say, an off the shelf S65 with a stoker kit? assuming it has to do with drivetrain selection but man, there are definitely easier ways to make 450 horsies.

I love the ingenuity here but...man that is a TON of effort for a custom solution that gives you _________ benefits? Like why go this route instead of say, an off the shelf S65 with a stoker kit? assuming it has to do with drivetrain selection but man, there are definitely easier ways to make 450 horsies.
This is the problem, not about easy.
It’s about doing something you have interest in and you like.
Not everyone is lazy.

This is the problem, not about easy.
It’s about doing something you have interest in and you like.
Not everyone is lazy.
Lazy? Anyone performing an engine swap (correctly) is not lazy. But spending 2-3x what you need to produce a similar result with similar benefits seems ludicrous to me. Maybe its just that I've never been in a position where I could justify spending that kind of cash on a passion project. Not denying the cool factor at all...just seems like a lot of variables that have to be solved to make this work, all of which could be a critical failure point.

The problem is that there's just no other way to find a nice aluminum block 5.3L V8 motor that is small enough to fit into an old Volvo that makes 400 HP.

Errr... ummm.... Lol, the cost of being unique is the effort expended. Some people are about the building, some people are about the results, some people are about the uniqueness, etc, etc.

The problem is that there's just no other way to find a nice aluminum block 5.3L V8 motor that is small enough to fit into an old Volvo that makes 400 HP.

Errr... ummm.... Lol, the cost of being unique is the effort expended. Some people are about the building, some people are about the results, some people are about the uniqueness, etc, etc.
I wasn't going to mention the "L" word. Hence why I mentioned an S65. DOHC, 400 horse, sounds amazing, and actually probably works well with the light chassis with less torque and more peak HP.

Lol, I love the "Why would you do this question". Answer is simple, because I can and I want to.

The reason for not going your S65 or LS V8 lies in the car its going into which is a MK2 Ford Focus. Four years ago I built Australia's first MK2 Focus XR5/ST AWD conversion only I did it slightly different and used a sedan shell, not a hatch. I'm taking out the T5 and slotting in the Volvo V8 and mating that to the M66 AWD gearbox and drivetrain. Hence the need to use the Volvo engine and not another type of V8. Its replicating what Volvo did with that S40 prototype they built some years ago.

I've been in and around motorsport for over 30 years and have access to some very talented engine builders, machinists, fabricators, mechanics etc, and am not too bad with a spanner myself. Costs aren't as bad as you might expect. They say "you play, you pay" but how cool will it be to open the bonnet of a Ford Focus and see 8 trumpets staring at you in an east-west configuration :omg::)

Lol, I love the "Why would you do this question". Answer is simple, because I can and I want to.

The reason for not going your S65 or LS V8 lies in the car its going into which is a MK2 Ford Focus. Four years ago I built Australia's first MK2 Focus XR5/ST AWD conversion only I did it slightly different and used a sedan shell, not a hatch. I'm taking out the T5 and slotting in the Volvo V8 and mating that to the M66 AWD gearbox and drivetrain. Hence the need to use the Volvo engine and not another type of V8. Its replicating what Volvo did with that S40 prototype they built some years ago.

I've been in and around motorsport for over 30 years and have access to some very talented engine builders, machinists, fabricators, mechanics etc, and am not too bad with a spanner myself. Costs aren't as bad as you might expect. They say "you play, you pay" but how cool will it be to open the bonnet of a Ford Focus and see 8 trumpets staring at you in an east-west configuration :omg::)
That answers a LOT of questions and yes, it will be mega cool. If this was going in a 240 for the hell of it I would question sanity but now I see the benefits of the custom work. Please keep us up to date on the project even if it isnt a Volvo!!

I've been in and around motorsport for over 30 years and have access to some very talented engine builders, machinists, fabricators, mechanics etc, and am not too bad with a spanner myself.
Yup; I'm a witness to this fact.

(I bought those S80 seats and the steering column from you a few months ago. Thank you for the tour of your wonderful workshop!)

Back