• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ZF rack locks up on hard turning and driving through puddles

sisu_slay

my bertone seems to want to kill me today. it had a zf rack thrown in some time in a PO past. works fine most of the time, has zero play. the pump does have a decent leak but i keep it topped. but every once in a while it will want to lock up or get very hard to turn, if you force it, you feel and hear a pop, almost like it skips a tooth in the rack or shaft spline, but the alignment is always the same. it does this more often driving through a puddle. the belt squeaks at the worst point, it's pry bar tight with a belt that is only 2 years old. it has started briefly doing it recently while parallel parking but mostly does this on the occasion of turning tighter angles at speeds around 20 to 25 mph with the harder cornering forces on the wheels or turning the wheel suddenly (which sometimes works itself out, which had me thinking air bubbles and popping from strut bushings [long shot]). more susseptable durring colder climates.

do i need another rack? is it simply just air bubbles or needing to get a new belt? or could it be something i could fix with some power steering flush or replacement of check valves?

Last edited:
If you are certain that your power steering reservoir isn't low or marginal during such exhibitions then:

Take a look at your bushings. They will pass the sniff test prying against them even if they are fu?ked.

. . . but every once in a while it will want to lock up or get very hard to turn, . . . it does this more often driving through a puddle. the belt squeaks at the worst point, it's pry bar tight with a belt that is only 2 years old. it has started briefly doing it recently while parallel parking . . . is it simply just air bubbles or needing to get a new belt?

You describe a belt problem over and over. Even a new belt can get glazed quickly and will never transfer power effectively again, especially in times of stress like you describe.

makes me wish someone would have made a setpentine conversion at this point.

even if it does need a belt, it doesnt quite explain the popping noise and feel

Last edited:
Mine does this too. My plan is polyurethane accessory bushings and new belts. Do you have the splash pan installed? It should reduce water splashing onto the belt.

Regarding a serpentine conversion, what would people be willing to pay? I'd considered doing such myself but if others are interested I might be able to make a kit...

i should get a skid plate considering the sketchy situations i end up in.

$350 to 400 is about my limit for a decent quality serp kit, but im just above poor. it could be done slightly cheaper using some pulleys from the later b280 accessories

ok so i did a test with the car at warm idle and in park, turning lock to lock swiftly, yes the belt slipping is there when wet but it doesnt have as much resistence as the other part of the problem as described. like it comes close to being completly locking up (it specifically seems to happen when turning the wheel right) and it either subsides with the pop or turning it the other way briefly. so i dont know if the rack is on its way out or if i could clean and or replace some check valves

here's a video of the issue:
https://youtu.be/94qRylV4_3s

He has a b27- no bushings or multi piece crank pulley. Try a belt with some "teeth"on it. The pop may be when the belt gets traction again. I have a nice Oem splash shield that you can have.

ok so i did a test with the car at warm idle and in park, turning lock to lock swiftly, yes the belt slipping is there when wet but it doesnt have as much resistence as the other part of the problem as described. like it comes close to being completly locking up (it specifically seems to happen when turning the wheel right) and it either subsides with the pop or turning it the other way briefly. so i dont know if the rack is on its way out or if i could clean and or replace some check valves

here's a video of the issue:
https://youtu.be/94qRylV4_3s

How many decades old is the PS fluid?

[ ] 1 decade
[ ] 2 decades
[ ] 3 or more decades

when my joints were bad it got tight on the center of that makes sense? spray joint with oil, remove belly sand shiney pulley, chance old atf report back

Have you attempted to replace the drive belts? When the belts get worn past a certain point they seem to slip more.

belts arent older than 2 year, but it looks like I'll be going for a u-joint in addition to another belt

Back