• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rough Cold Idle, Black Smoke

spiffy926

So this issue has been slowly progressing over the past few years, and now it's to the point that I think I should do something about it.

Here's an overview of what's going on:
Starting the engine cold results in an idle around 700rpm, a little bumpy, then if you give it just a little gas, it sounds like it has a lumpy cam idle. If you give it half throttle, it revs up to 3 or 4k rpm, and will act like its got a 2-step and it'll shoot out black smoke like wild.

Once the engine's warm this issue goes away totally, except the idle is about 1300 rpm, and you can tell it's still running rich by the smoke, smell, occasional pop on decel, and the fuel economy has dropped significantly it seems.

Here's a video demonstrating the issue while cold.
https://youtu.be/IlMomAjrDpw

Making this thread party for help, partly because it sounds so cool when my engine does this, even if it is so bad for it, like it sounds like it might be...
But it's worth mentioning the valves are at like .02-.025"
It will be interesting for the record, what changes when I get those valves back in spec.
Maybe that's all this is. But I also wanted to share that video. Enjoy :rockon:

You could read the codes and see what you have. Don't forget to read the ignition as well as the fuel injection. Pin 2 is fuel and pin 6 is ignition.

The valves being in spec is very important. It can cause all kinds of weird things to happen. You can also get a backfire into the intake which the flame trap protects you from worse. The flame trap protects from igniting the oil when that happens.

Oh, thank you, I didn't know about the different pins on the obd port.
The only codes I had was from the o2 sensor which I replaced, the wires just got frayed when I scraped some roots. And from the MAF which I unplugged when the car was running worse and stalling when the o2 sensor was mashed.

I'll check pin 6
Thanks for the info.

I thought more fuel psi is how you turn a Volvo into race car :wtf:

That's a good idea I'll try that, but also check out this list of codes...
I forgot I hadn't checked ANY codes for a long while.
Brace youself:

223 IAC Missing
311 Speedo Missing - knew that
232 Cold Start Valve Miss or Fault
121 MAF Miss or Fault - knew that, I unplugged it at some point
113 Running Too Rich Or Lean
231 RPM Signal From EZK Missing
221 Too Lean At Part Load (must be why it likes running at 3k rpm mostly, 3rd gear cruisin :cool:)

And From EZK:
214 RPM Sensor Intermittently Missing

Okay, so I have a spare IAC to try, I'm also wondering if I unplugged the Cold Start Valve last time I was in there.
But, what is the RPM Sensor, the CKP?

My poor Volvo needs a break from the daily grind.

Brace yourself...codes on these cars are commonly bunk! I would start with trying another MAF. Inspect the terminals on the coolant temp sensor (rear one) and do a resistance test on the tempnsensor at the LH box and the EZK box connector. UNPLUGGED, UNSHEATHED, AND BACKPROBE! Front probe damages terminals.

Thanks master tech I appreciate you sharing your know-how. I'm disappointed that the OBD on these cant really be trusted. I wish I had a spare MAF to try. But for now, I plugged the IAC back in :oops: and adjusted the throttle plate, it runs well enough. Plus the its been warmer and she likes idling in the warm better.

But I give you my word I'll reference this post when I revisit this! Maybe when the symptoms get worse.

Lol you should see how bad my car idles and drives in the cold when it’s humid:lol: maybe I’ll take you guys for a ride along video later today.

The B cam makes the idle chop, the cold and humid makes it worse.

Could also be leaking injectors. One test is: pull the rail, power the pump and see if they leak.

Lol you should see how bad my car idles and drives in the cold when it?s humid:lol: maybe I?ll take you guys for a ride along video later today.

The B cam makes the idle chop, the cold and humid makes it worse.

Yeah please make a video of that :)
I forgot to mention I've got the A cam.
Come to think of it, humid cold days are the worse, or the best if you like making smoke rings!

Yeah so it's hard to say for sure if this is what did it, but I finally adjusted my valves and was able to undo the temporary "kanooder valve" (gonna have to make a thread on that later :oogle:)
Meaning, it's idling real nice with all the sensors plugged in!

Back