• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

which COP fit the 16v head?

jao

hello all,
well i have searched and searched, but i cannot seem to find a list / pictures of the various COP [coil on plug] modules that fit in our 16v heads. i have 3 fried Toyota Coils in my car and am looking to replace the 4 with something else.

i am leaning toward VW 1.8t ones since they are cheap as hell, but i need to know if they will work. i remember reading somewhere that LSx ones work also.

please enlighten me so i can get my 16v 142 running well again... i am itching to turbo it!

I have the Corolla COP's on mine. Trim off a mount and a little of the seal disc, they fit perfectly and the cover can go on. I've been using them for about 15K miles. If you're frying them, I'd suspect some MS issues? Although they're smart coils, you'd think they'd be smart enough to not fry themselves.

LSX coils are not COP, they're just 'CNP' - coil near plug. You'd need a short plug wire from the coil down to the plug. On the plus side, I think they're pretty potent. The Corolla COP's aren't anything special in terms of zapping power, other than being from a fairly modern car. Most modern cars have pretty zippy ignition systems, compared to older stuff.

I have the corolla ones in my car for years. 3 of them are bad. I was holding to find a more economical solution. rockauto has the vw 1.8t COP for $15+ the corolla ones are $50+ each. I really lime the way the corolla version fits. The 1.8t stick up a bit more. Connectors are cheaper also.

Honda CBR600 cops were fitted to one of the Buchka's car I think... I'm running Toyota cops also and will try something else when one of them dies.

PnP's have lots of cars with that type of Toyota motor. I should pick up some spares next time I visit one.

i burnt out the corolla cop's on my 16v so i moved to the ls1 cop's and made a little bracket out of some angle alu bar

I am not a fan of how the ls1 coils are. The Toyota COPs fit under the stock plastic cover, the Vw 1.8t coils are taller.

So
2004 VW 1.8t COPs are about 1/2" taller, cheaper, and connectors are less expensive also. No mods needed.
2000 Toyota Corolla /Matrix 1.8L COPs fit under the cover, more expensive, connectors are more expensive. Some surgery needed to them

I guess I'll be ordering a set of 4x 1.8t Denso coils for about $100 + shipping.

IMG_20140620_205458_706_zps878cfc51.jpg

ipdown:
whats the difference between the VAG and 1.8T COPs [if any]?

ls1 coils are not hidden at all, defiantly cleaner in my book with the other two COPs that i listed so far

there are shorter versions of the vag cop's. Im using some from an audi 4.2 v8 they are shorter and sit lower in the valve cover.

ipdown:
whats the difference between the VAG and 1.8T COPs [if any]?

ls1 coils are not hidden at all, defiantly cleaner in my book with the other two COPs that i listed so far

The lenght is different. Also latest revisions are more durable. Some have slightly different connector depending if they are used in VW, Audi or Scoda.

Here is how it looks: https://flic.kr/p/ccU4D1

Last edited:
form over function eh? I'm out.

lol how much better are the LS1 coils over the other two so far? anyone know the output voltage. i want it to perform, but look good doing it.

i mean, i could MIG weld everything in the engine compartment and it will work. but damn do i like the way my TIG welds look on aluminum and SS304...

I'm running the heat sinked lq9 coils at 3.8 ms dwell running 30psi on a 6466 turbo with my plugs gapped at .032 making 800whp. I say lq9's all day long

Back