• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt 16v+t

....How much the bolt is torqued is irrelevant to a certain degree, IT WILL COME LOOSE.

The little nub is for aligning the pulley to the crank gear during installation, it was never meant to hold the pulley onto the sprocket. If the parts are assembled correctly and the bolt is torqued correctly there should be no stress on the alignment pin/nub. The bolt being correctly torqued is what holds it together. Same thing with people blaming the little roll pin when their camshaft bolts come loose.

Plenty of newer cars have no alignment pins on camshafts, the torque on the bolt is all that holds it together.

Doing the angle torque is easy, 44 ft/lbs then mark a point on the head of the bolt and another mark on the pulley where the next point is sitting. Then impact it until your marks align for the 60?. Some 1/2" guns can't even do that, especially with 1/4" air line that lots of people use. I've also seen a few bolts that came out stretched from people impacting them.

I really like the Yoshifab piece, but that price.Then it says you have to machine the crank anyways, soooo..I just can not wrap my head around. Sure it would have saved me the price of another 16v head, but I bought my first 16v head for 350, and second for 300, so the price gap,of 190 for a gear- is not satisfactory at all for me.
I am all about the bargain, and this gives me the built not bought attitude. I know that's not the consensus here on TB , but it used to be,back in 99.

I definitely didn't have to machine the crank to use the Yoshifab billet gear with the woodruff key. Maybe check the crank to see if it has the cutout...?

Yoshifab gear in process of buying, waiting for Im. Metal head gasket bought off Jeggs. Exhaust gasket here from Sweden , back ordered..

also, if the bolt came loose even after you're certain you put it on there "gut und tite", replace the bolt. they're big and burly looking, but they can get to a point where they just won't stay tight any more, even with loc tite, set screws, keyways instead of nubs, etc. You can ask a local guy about that, he fought that fight until he sold the car and finally took my initial suggestion

I agree Linux.. Good Advice. I pulled the bolt off that overheated 940 , and the gear and crank.. Maybe not the best donor. But it is what it is.

Got some things in the mail. Took some things apart. Sent some things to Motor Head machine. Got some things back.

PuzCKAS.jpg

vdjnudL.jpg

knvW2ga.jpg

U5xrZtt.jpg

yRkVg3x.jpg

Z2tqbPY.jpg

nufdajW.jpg

Stop staring at me swan. Gonna wrap this soon.

lOvAkYO.jpg

Not the best work, I admit..But it does serve its purpose. Some things don't require the best visual appearance, in order to do the job.. Take that powdered crank gear for instance. Here's a little video of what a piece of crap it is.. Durability test on 16v crank gear..

https://youtu.be/2MazSvJPiMM?t=2

After doing this little test, I got a buddy- to Buy me a Yoshifab Crank gear! I take all responsibility for being wrong, about their product. My apologies. I will not be pinning the crank. I WILL be keying the crank pulley.

I will get a pulse split manifold made when the budget permits, with dual wastegates. I cant afford to upgrade all the things at once. Who can Right?!

I did get some paint to paint match the grey seats to Black, My first and second attempt with the dupli color vinyl paint was in vain. Also, some upgraded motor mounts and manual 7 series motor mount brackets, upper and lower.

1Fkolxm.jpg

Broken Hydraulic mount bracket vs Manual 7 series bracket with part of motor mount still stuck on it...

PveOCDP.jpg

X5HGUIQ.jpg

PveOCDP.jpg

Its important to get the lower and upper brackets for the swap , as the angles are different. I'm told the engine should sit at the same height. That is yet to be discovered.

I also Purchased some 1600cc injectors, as I ran out of room with my 1000cc at 17psi on the Hx52. More than likely , I will upgrading- by adding an additional fuel pump to the Walbro 450lph. Just for safety concerns. Lots of new things in the works, I hope this bottom end remains to be ok....

My crank has slot cut in it, just wonder why Yoshifab says on their site-that crank needs machining for gear?

Yoshifab does not say you have to modify your crank. You will need to modify the locating slot in your crank pulley. The machining can be done with a hand file. Feel free to email or call with any such questions.

Josh, I actually ordered the gear through a friend -he bought an engine from me, so it was just easier that way.. I see it is gonna take a week to get sent out, I anxiously anticipate its arrival. Thanks again for the heads up! It takes a village, again apologies to you. I was a jerk to you and your business ..

Parts that came in today, thanks to Rick Gentry and Jeggs. 1600 cc injectors, thinnest cometic metal head gasket.

rhKJpbq.jpg

Also dropped this gem I bought off Eric Salazar, to Brett Willet to get custom work done to, Thanks Brett, many apologies to him.

I burned many bridges in the past two years because I have intense Trust issues, for many reasons that i don't want to get into, on this forum. This has caused me to eat several cases of humble pies. I was wrong in every case, My sincere apologies.

EYlKDFW.jpg

Back