home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #76
Volvo owner in France
Board Member

Finally, SUCCESS!
I checked the Hall sensor for power and everything seemed to be fine, but it still wouldn't start. I then removed the new ignition controller that I had installed, and noticed that one of the connectors in the female part of the plug (number 4, which, I believe, from the ignition drawing that Bobxyz had posted for a Ferrari Dino, was pushed in further than the six others. I pulled it into place, plugged in the ignition coil and she fired right up. I can't understand why, if that connector was for delivering power to the coil's positive #15 terminal (which did have 12v, whenever I checked it), the car wouldn't start before I fiddled with the connector.
I really want to thank all of you for your help. I couldn't have done this without your patience, your expertise, and your willingness to share your knowledge with me. If ever you have any questions about French wine or about my particular area of expertise--wine from the French island of Corsica, please don't hesitate to contact me at tomfiorina[AT]gmail.com.
Volvo owner in France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #77
freevolvos
Board Member

Glad you got it going
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #78
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Nice!

A test lamp may have revealed a poor amount of current. A meter can show 12v, but there may not be enough current to operate the circuit. A test lamp may NOT have illuminated.

Or, maybe the circuits got juiced up regardless of the module having power. I haven't looked at the diagram.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #79
bobxyz
Board Member

Great, glad you figured it out and got it running!

Pin 4 on the ignition module, or power stage, provides a small amount of +12volt power for the module itself. Without this, the electronics in the module can't drive the pin #1 wire to the coil to generate the spark. Sometimes the +12volt wire runs to the ignition module first and then ends at the coil. Other times, it goes in the reverse direction (coil then ending at module). If pin #4 wasn't making good contact, you would still have +12volts at the coil.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 AM   #80
dl242gt
Can play the blues

With the new year comes a running old gray lady. Glad you figured it out. Congrats!
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote