home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #276
soclosenotnear
Board Member

This last hurrah of yours is entailing quite a bit. I'm interested to see how your throttle body experiment goes relative to what everyone has said. I've also not seen any b21f manifolds on 7/9 series.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #277
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
This last hurrah of yours is entailing quite a bit. I'm interested to see how your throttle body experiment goes relative to what everyone has said. I've also not seen any b21f manifolds on 7/9 series.
Yes sir..... this last stage is suffering from scope creep just a bit

There must be an end, a conclusion....as I've got another RWD Volvo that has been waiting patiently for, oh, about 5 years now.

Regarding the throttle body, for said B230F intake I will wet test both the 850NA (65mm) and also the 850Turbo (55mm) on the same NIW adapter. You might have noticed that the most recently listed B21F intake (modified for EFI by Nathan) has just been sold.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #278
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
740 kjet cars had them :P
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7875 turbo, 228/230 cam, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #279
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
740 kjet cars had them :P
*Lh2.4 efi usdm successfully converted 7/9 series.

But that is a good point I suppose. Do they take a different throttle cable? Or any other parts that need stolen to make an easy conversion?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #280
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
....... Do they take a different throttle cable? Or any other parts that need stolen to make an easy conversion?
DEK2688 has got this sorted out..... stand by, he just might put an article together for TB.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #281
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Well, carved out some Ovlov time on Saturday, more jobs need completion (that a 1.5 arm man can accomplish). I decided to attack the hydro. engine mount conversion to the "old school" 84-85 setup. Here is a comparison of the two, drivers side :

[IMG][/IMG]

Quite the difference. The drivers side (steering shaft side) mount is hammered good in tension when the torque is applied to the rear end. Not broken, but you could certainly twist it around quite a bit easier than the new mounts. Speaking of the new (old type):

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Odd looking, aren't they? Everything assembled, cleaned off the 30+ years of crud on the aluminum castings, and ready to install. Driver side (steering shaft) changed out with careful use of a floor jack. Installed pics:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Pass. (exhaust) side next, shouldn't be any more difficult. NOTE - the hydro mounts have a heat shield on the exhaust side..... these old school mounts don't. THANKS to DEK2688, who spec'd out all the OEM hardware to make this conversion (cost me $40 from TASCA). Thanks Rich!
Old 08-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #282
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Fabbed little heat shields for the LS mounts out of aluminum gutter flashing.... Remember using floor jack and small pieces of wood to change out my daughter's 760 mounts all those years ago.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #283
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Fabbed little heat shields for the LS mounts out of aluminum gutter flashing.... Remember using floor jack and small pieces of wood to change out my daughter's 760 mounts all those years ago.
Perhaps I can recycle the shield on the exh. side of my HYDRO mount. We'll see once I get it out. Your daughter still driving that 760 I bet!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #284
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Well since this IS the last hurrah for the 940, I surrendered to temptation and bought this NIW modified B21F intake:

[IMG][/IMG]

Empirically determined "butt dyno" data says this induction system is worth approximately 10~15 ponies. I've PM'd folks who have vehicles that actually run this intake, and they all report a nice kick in the butt improvement with just this induction change. The plenum area is at least twice as large as the miserable B230FT EFI intakes we got in North America. Runners are all equal length, and perhaps this resolves the rumoured lean issues with #3 runner in the original. Hell, solving that problem alone could account for 15 HP!

As Nathan is effectively out of our game, I picked this guy up from snailpoweredbrick; already converted with EFI ports in the runners and with his custom -6 fuel rail. All I need to do is sort out a remote FPR with the same specs as the Bosch 3 bar. And a couple other details..... like a Europe only throttle cable (B23E and B230E 7 series). DEK2688 is hooking me up with the throttle spool system as well as the cruise mount & cable. How hard could it be?

These pics show Nathan's fine mods for EFI:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #285
M.H. Yount
Board Member

That looks like it's going to be a nice piece. Is the reg stand alone or vacuum/rising rate?

Daughter long ago grew weary of the fuel mileage of the 760 in near downtown ATL where she's been for 21 years. I "sold" her my '15 Fit and she sold her '09 Fit to my sister/brother-in-law. Did the car swapping in Augusta yesterday. Picked up a new Mazda3 for me....sport model with no options (hard to find). Enjoying.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #286
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Nice! Now get rid of the AW71!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #287
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Nice! Now get rid of the AW71!
Only if it dies.... then I'll put in the AW71L! After all, I'm an o-JI-san
Old 08-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #288
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Only if it dies.... then I'll put in the AW71L! After all, I'm an o-JI-san
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #289
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Excited to see the install since everything will be well documented. Keep the updates coming.

Also interested to see if the strut brace will play nice with that intake.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #290
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Also interested to see if the strut brace will play nice with that intake.
Definitely a no go with the naked eyeball...... If I'm going to run one, it will have to be another style.... or I just won't run one. Would rather have the torque increase all the time, than an occasional twisty run improvement. You can count on me to display a picture showing it doesn't fit.......
Old 08-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #291
InTheWhite
Board Member

Realy nice project you got here! Very entertaining to read the thred!
InTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #292
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Is the reg stand alone or vacuum/rising rate?
I'll match whatever Bosch supplied OE.... I know the SAAB guys tried the rising rate FPRs but I don't intend to attempt to outthink the OE Engineers. I'll let LH2.4 do the thinking.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #293
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Wasn't suggesting changing anything -- was just trying to understand how the OEM reg worked. ;)
Old 08-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #294
Broke4speed
Board Member

The stock reg is a boost/vac-referenced one. It raises fuel pressure 1psi per pound of boost, IIRC.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #295
M.H. Yount
Board Member

That's what I was wondering about -- most boosted stuff in that time period worked that way - allowed fuel pressure to rise as boost pressure did.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #296
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Had some shop time Saturday, and decided to complete the motor mount conversion to the old school 84-85 7 series setup. With the driver side done, the pass. side had an extra challenge. While the pass. hydro. mount has a nice heat/oil shield to protect that mount rubber, the old schools didn't come with any. The simplest solution - repurpose the hydro. mount shield. I laid out the expected relief needed to allow the engine half of the mount to project through the hydro shield:

[IMG][/IMG]

Some careful drilling at each sharpie line corner & steady handed dremel surgery, yields success:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My OCD won't let me install clean parts into a dirty engine bay/crossmember, so I cleaned up the area first. NOTE the floor jack beneath the engine.... a small 2x4 under the PS pump mount is carrying the pass. side load.

[IMG][/IMG]

The old school mount (stronger than the later "Executive Class" hydro mount) is in place:

[IMG][/IMG]

Special thanks to DEK2688, who provided the OE part#s for all the locknuts and flanged hex head fasteners..... TASCA has everything in stock.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #297
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default B21 EFI intake fit checking......

I'm in the investigation stage of the intake "scope creep" of this final round. I decided to fit up some injectors into the Nathan -6 fuel rail, because I wanted to see if the LH2.4 injection connectors would reach the higher location of the B21F intake. Here is the business end of the NIW modified intake, injectors clearly visible:

[IMG][/IMG]

A close up of the single runner:

[IMG][/IMG]

So fit checking the intake on the head:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The LH2.4 batch fire connectors reach.... barely. I had to remove a harness clamp down on the lower side of the block, which allowed the entire top harness to move up nearly an inch. As you can see, I had to flip the #1 and #4 connectors to the opposite side of the rail. With EFI connectors confirmed, the other question was would my Cherry Turbo upper strut brace fit? I was doubting it, and the answer is ... NO

[IMG][/IMG]

First problem, the CT brace end constructions won't clear the Kaplhenke top strut mounts.

Second problem, while the strut brace could clear the B21F intake (if the end connectors allowed) but it would be so close to the intake that when the engine rotated under torque it would likely hit. This pic is misleading, as the brace is touching the strut tower on the PASS. side but propped up on the DRIVER. IF it cleared bolted in place, it would be by scant little.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks like I'll have the Cherry brace on the sale block soon. I wondered if the SAM strut brace might clear this intake, since the Euro market got the B230E 7 series cars. I'll check into it, but if I have to choose between the strut brace OR the intake, it will be the B21 EFI intake.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #298
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

can you flip it 280 degrees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:49 AM   #299
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere View Post
can you flip it 280 degrees?
From what I've researched about the CT brace, the "bend" shown above my intake plenum was factory made.... to provide some clearance for the B230F intake movement. Flipping 180* would bring the brace closer to the B21 EFI intake (but might help the Kaplhenke mount interference).
Old 08-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #300
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Maybe a few washers as spacers?