home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
matt b
Board Member

Default P1800 restoration - early Jensen car

I don't do catchy titles, great social media posts or regular updates so bear with me.

1311atpickup

Volvo P1800, VIN 1311, type 18394 VA, making it a pre-March 1962 Jensen built car. Gearbox would be an unusual M40 and not an M41 with overdrive. (source: http://volvo1800pictures.com/from_ye.../1961_1962.php

Bought this car out of LA in October 2018. On the surface, the seller seemed knowledgeable and legitimate. Reality bit hard when I had to bicker with me until late May to finally get the car to HiPerformance Auto in Torrance, CA.

E194E124-6084-401E-A7A8-3C24EEC97403

Things got ever grimmer when Eric explained that the car came in with no hood, no grill surround, and with over 20 lbs of rat feces spread out over the interior and engine compartment.

%IRg57jqT6qGKt5%OhESVA

I was traveling and couldn't communicate with the seller beyond the odd text message every 3-4 days. I felt awful that Eric and Ian had this health hazard on their hands.

Fast foward to late June and I made arrangements to have the car brought to me in Tucson.

593B1966-FEB9-4233-9622-3F2571C07D22

FC7A3CBD-88C9-44D1-AC41-5CE9AA83C25F

Here it sits next to 6501, the 1964 I picked up last summer. 6501 needs extensive rust repair and is currently on a rotisserie. Buddy and I are welding panels as time allows.

A1267883-C7D7-4AB5-B8B0-544CD54CEA09

Eric thought that only media blasting would truly rid the car of any rat feces and associated issues, and it's exactly what we did. Local company hauled it off, blasted it and gave me a clean, poop free shell:

X6hvGZ2vTkqTeArnWahauQ

Media blasting reveals surprises, 1311 was no exception...

IMG_3865
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
matt b
Board Member

1311 is a red 70 car, according to its VIN plate. I couldn't find a suitable panel on the car but 6501 had this splash panel painted in the correct color:

58587035100__20314725-18E0-46BB-8271-D3C26498EBDD

I'm assuming that when Volvo took production over from Jensen, some panels had been pre-painted and were used as-is. (6501 is a white car)

I started collecting parts, cleaning up others and made a little progress:

wheels:
58543872193__6DF9F7FE-4BFC-458F-B169-00B6592CB322

The wheel color is based on a few factory pictures from 1961 and 1962 showing what the wheels looked like underneath the early Jensen hubcaps.

Worked on the rear end, cleaning up grime and other issues and re-flaring brake lines to accept the 1965-1968 wheel cylinders.

UUldm009Roe4ErCq62R5eg

Engine cradle/front cross member/front end:

OclUhmmGTAufMvIHD9BsOA

Pretty sure the color should be black on that part but it's already powdercoated and I don't have it in me to have it re-done.

Rhys from Island Automotion did the carbs, confirmed as early 60's carbs (based on their tags)

fullsizeoutput_d

According to literature, the early Jensen cars had tons of production issues and panel fitment was amateur-ish. So Jensen used lead to hide flaws and 1311 is a prime example of that:

58665978556__8C372069-2699-4B31-9945-FD4F8500CCE7

I will take a picture of 6501 in the same area, there's barely any lead at the seam.

That's it for now. I'll grab pictures of the dash soon, as well as the body repairs. I'm waiting for the temps to drop a little bit before welding in my garage. It's hard to have a hood on when it's 105-110F in my garage...
Old 08-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

My, if I didn't know better I'd say you are restoring an English car...

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Good progress on this one so far. I saw it in person at HiPerf - Ian and Eric told me about some of the grief you'd experienced and I saw that mountain of poop for myself. Didn't realize the car came from the seller who has had a handful of 1800s and 544s listed for ages on LA craigslist. I recognize that first pic! Up north of Santa Clarita, right? Did he seriously remove the hood and grille surround before shipping the car to you?
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Good progress on this one so far. I saw it in person at HiPerf - Ian and Eric told me about some of the grief you'd experienced and I saw that mountain of poop for myself. Didn't realize the car came from the seller who has had a handful of 1800s and 544s listed for ages on LA craigslist. I recognize that first pic! Up north of Santa Clarita, right? Did he seriously remove the hood and grille surround before shipping the car to you?
That's the guy, good ole crooked Charles. He has had his ad flagged so many times, and he keeps trying to put it back up. Owns a pet store in Beverly Hills but keeps his cars in Santa Clarita.

I don't know the specifics on the hood, but I know it was supposed to be there (and he acknowledged it). The back window is also missing, but was there when it was loaded so I'm assuming it flew off at some point. The grill surround, he says wasn't supposed to ever be there.

Eric and Ian were amazing, and continue to be very involved with the car. The M40 slated to go in the car was rebuilt by them, and the car will go back to Torrance once it's put back together.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Man, that sucks to hear you were jerked around. I've never talked to that guy myself but figured something was fishy based on the sheer volume of ads and the ambiguity around which cars he is actually offering for sale. It's obvious he's got a big stash of iron... so represent each car accurately and sell to the highest bidders - WTF is wrong with people?

Looking forward to seeing more shiny parts in your thread. The wife and I had a '66 1800S a few years ago that really needed a complete restoration, but we were on a budget and just trying to enjoy it as-is. Ian & Eric helped me get that thing running & driving so sweetly before we sold it. Major body issues but it was fun to drive. You are working with the right guys!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
didenpx
Board Member

Really looking forward to following this project!

1970 1800E (Project Roedluvan:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...highlight=1970)
1977 242DL "Senf" (Summer Cruiser)
2x1973 1800 ES (Project Reanimator; disassembly and parts detailing to begin Winter 2020)
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
matt b
Board Member

Thanks, definitely stoked on this car. I'm trying to get the details right without losing sight of the larger project and the time needed to complete it.

A shop had done rust repair on the last Amazon I owned, and they may be involved in getting some of the panels repaired/replaced on this one. Rear floors and the bottom of the rear quarters need help. The driver's fender had no splash guard so it rotted from the inside out. Thankfully, everything is fairly simple to replace.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
Lord_Athlon
Chuckie Blows

Did you buy Matt's house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Yet Asher here went with...
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Did you buy Matt's house?
I did not. Person who owns it was someone out of Phoenix, I haven't talked to Matt's widow or Roy's widow (Matt's partner at the yard, and owner of the red 122S I did) in over a year so I am not sure where those parts went.

I am currently working out of my garage and looking for a shop in Tucson. Preferably north of Speedway, and east of Country Club. I may have something lined up, things are getting way too crammed at the house and I don't like having helpers come up to my house. I'd love to buy the old Revolvstore building but I can't swing that much coin.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
Lord_Athlon
Chuckie Blows

Your garage just looked a lot like his.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
vintagewrench
Board Member

Congratulations on now owning both a Jenson and the 1964. It appears you are going to restore the Jenson to factory original condition? How is it rust wise?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
matt b
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewrench View Post
Congratulations on now owning both a Jenson and the 1964. It appears you are going to restore the Jenson to factory original condition? How is it rust wise?
The Jensen is rust free, especially when compared to the 64. The 64 sat in a field in MN between 1972 and 2016, so you can imagine what that did to the undercarriage.

The only spots of rust that will be removed next week are:

-the rear floors. Doing full replacements on these.

-the trunk floor panel has some rust in two small spots but not enough to warrant replacing the entire thing. So we will cut out and weld what's needed.

-the driver's fender at the bottom has some rust. This was probably from the lack of splash guard. There is a dent in it that will be cut out when the rusty portion is replaced, I'm assuming it's why the splash guard wasn't re-installed. It probably didn't fit anymore since they Bondo'ed over the dent instead of beating it out.

All in all, the car is amazing straight and rust free.