• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Shortened cast aluminum oil pan warpage question

petiww

Hello fellow brickers!

I want to ask you guys whether i should worry about this or just run it:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6137185&postcount=6

20201209_205158[1] by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Biggest gap was around 1mm last time i measured. I can easily pull the pan to the block with the pan bolts, and it straightens out just fine. But i don't know if i create a ticking bomb, or i'm just overthinking it.

Worst case i would put some custom spacers under the bolts, but i really dont know if thats needed.

To me that doesn't look bad at all. If one/two bolts can pull it down without excessive force then it's ok. But if you are really worried you could have it machined flat.

My local machine shop has a big belt sander, with various grit belts. See if they will use a fine belt and some soap or whatever they use to surface aluminum heads, and run it on the belt.

If you cant have it machined, i'd use a big sheet of sanding paper on a flat-ish surface.

My preference is to surface parts on the mill but sometimes its just easier to use above method. For example difficult to clamp motorcycle engine covers are easily surfaced with sandpaper.

Back