• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'69 144S: B20 performance bolt-ons?

Does anyone make new repro Jetronic manifolds, or am I just going to be surfing the interwebs for a while...?

Put up a wanted ad here, I'm sure you'd find a couple. I have one - the PV's motor was once a B20E (and the D-jet certainly doesn't fit in a PV engine bay).

Does anyone make new repro Jetronic manifolds, or am I just going to be surfing the interwebs for a while...?

The manifold and brace is the easy part, injectors, holders, fuel rail, fuel pump and late cylinder head are the greater part of the conversion.

Not to mention a return port in the fuel tank or an unobtanium 140 EFI tank.

And autotune actually works pretty well these days

I hate autotuned, especially that horrible Cher song! :-P

The D-Jet bits are pretty easy to find on fleabay. There are always fuel rails, injector holders, intakes, etc. on there.
Redwood is right about the fuel tank, though. A good tank repair shop "should" be able to install a return line port. Finding said shop is probably harder than the work.
A Datsun 280ZX fuel pump is similar to the D-Jet pump, and cost less than the NOS Bosch pump. I've heard Hiperformance Auto (Eric & Ian) also have an aftermarket alternative.

You're the only one concerned with $14.99.

But yes, a blow through turbo setup would cost more than $14.99. As would an EFI system and a turbo. Or a bunch of spendy metal parts to make a zingy N/A build.

If you're counting pennies - ditch the 200 hp goal (obviously), ditch the 150 hp goal, and just use your Solex 40's, use a D cam, find an E or F head and have exhaust seats put in (if it doesn't have it), and put a 2.5" exhaust on it after the downpipe merge. And you'll have brought it up from about 100 - 110 hp (assuming it's in fairly good 'stage 0) to about 130 - 135 HP. And (assuming you have a manual transmission) a whole lot more fun to drive.

OP, what is your budget?
What is your skill set?
How old are you?
Where are the pics of this car?

image.php

Do you live in the motorhome next to it? Or is that another project?

image.php

Do you live in the motorhome next to it? Or is that another project?

That's the car from the last picture I took of it, before I got it into my garage. The car runs, I was just posting thinking about future prospects after I get this thing on the road.

Anyway, I had a $3,500 budget for the car originally, but I only ended up spending $415.

I basically have $3,000 to work with, but again... none of this is happening anytime soon.

EDIT: This really isn't intended as a resto, I just want a somewhat peppy car. I'm not sure how often I'm even going to drive this. The hood, and both fenders are non-original, and the car didn't come with an interior, so I'm not that afraid of hacking a factory 144S.

Last edited:
You're the only one concerned with $14.99.

But yes, a blow through turbo setup would cost more than $14.99. As would an EFI system and a turbo. Or a bunch of spendy metal parts to make a zingy N/A build.

If you're counting pennies - ditch the 200 hp goal (obviously), ditch the 150 hp goal, and just use your Solex 40's, use a D cam, find an E or F head and have exhaust seats put in (if it doesn't have it), and put a 2.5" exhaust on it after the downpipe merge. And you'll have brought it up from about 100 - 110 hp (assuming it's in fairly good 'stage 0) to about 130 - 135 HP. And (assuming you have a manual transmission) a whole lot more fun to drive.

Thinking about it, yeah 200 hp was a bit ambitious - working on modern V6 and V8 cars has really spoiled me. I'll just do the best I can with what I've got.

Hopefully nobody gets mad at me when, 10 years down the line, I swap a Buick 215 into this.

Hmm... metro turbo hif6 carbs x2, metro turbo 1:1 rr fpr for 7 psi base pressure, lelectronic carb fuel pump rated for 20psi head pressure, small surge tank with return to the filler neck, msd boost retard box... 7-10 psi is enough to wake a b20 up pretty good.

3k budget? Just go megasquirt.

B21+T yoshifab fab mounts with megasquirt is doable with $3k

Hell if you fabricate some stuff, 16v+T is doable with 3k. Why stop at 200hp. Do 300hp on a 4.54 rear end for all the lulz

Pop willies, get rekt

Back