• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 RWD Alloy - Repair or Replace

Repair or Replace?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jwernerny

About a year ago, I flew my son's 940T during a rally and destroyed the front struts. A few miles later on the stage, the ice broke under the car and I ended up bending a rim and deflating a tire. (I would have finished the stage on the tire, but there was a car in front of me that went off and since I was sweeping, I had to stop.)

Anyway, the wheel in question was a 15" alloy from a 960. It was one of the 20+ spoke versions (I have a couple different types.)

The question of the day is: Repair or Replace?

10 or 15 years ago, I would have said replace, but since so many older cars and their wheel are going to the crusher, I am not sure how available the old 15" multi-spoke 960 alloys are.

Thoughts?
-John

If it is an Aries wheel that he needs they are super common, no doubt. They are also mostly bent these days. They are one of the weakest wheels Volvo ever made.

I went with repair. Then it will also be refinished and look great. With the shipping and possible need to refinish an old one from someones hoard. The cost seems to be about the same but you'll end up with a nice looking wheel to put on if it's repaired.

What wheel is it? I only remember seeing Aries wheels on 940s but I guess they came on early 960 as well. My friend has a set of Aries with two bent ones in his shed he would probably sell. It would be shipping from South Jersey near Philly. Pm if interested and I will ask him about them.

The real question is do I toss the bent wheel or think about saving it for future repair.

In terms of wheels, I am pretty well set. 3 full sets of 15x6 alloys from '88, '93, and '94. On those are 2 sets of snow tires, 1 set of rally tires. 15x7" BBS from 1991 with summer tires, 15x7" custom widened 15x5.5 in steels with slicks, and a set of 16x? 940 turbo rims. (I've been collecting Volvos and parts since '85.)

Sorry for the OT but your family dynamic is the opposite of mine as I was growing up. In my case it was son thrashing dad's car. :oops:

Hollander should have something fully refurbished for about a buck and a half shipped.

Like less than going to the JY and two trips to the powder coater.

:e-shrug:

Back