• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Repairing Volvo 242 California Special

Beforedenied

Hello People!

I am repairing a Volvo 242 california special model for a lady. (no the car is not for sale.. I asked)
I am only doing bodywork for this car, but I had a couple of questions about mechanics. Simply because I am interested.

The key does not turn in the ignition. the wheel is locked and i try to get it unlocked by turning it but it does not unlock. Any idea on why it could be locked? Maybe wrong key?

Opinions: Should I paint regular black headlight surrounds and grill white, as they were (see pic) or keep them black?
3316880293_6fec22f97b_o.jpg

Heres some photos of the car so you know what Im dealing with :=)
20150727_143525.jpg

20150727_143453.jpg

Paint the headlight surrounds the original white, as the grille was from the factory as well. There were only about a thousand of these that sold; an unusual Volvo!:nod: Too bad it doesn't still have the original wheels. That would really take it back as a period piece.

Last edited:
If using an old worn out key in the ignition...the tumblers inside the IG it ion cylinder itself are probably worn as well after @30 years.

If the steering wheel is locked...there is a small point to where you should be able to turn it VERY slightly. While trying to turn the wheel...they to turn the key in the ignition...should break free...just don't force it a lot or else you'll be calling a locksmith

Paint the headlight surrounds the original white, as the grille was from the factory as well. There were only about a thousand of these that sold; an unusual Volvo!:nod: Too bad it doesn't still have the original wheels. That would really take it back as a period piece.

I might paint it.. I'm still debating. I have this perfect surrounds and grill.. I don't mind painting the grill but the chrome on the surrounds might be hard to get off and on without damaging..

Thanks for the update! Did you ever figure out what was going on with the key?
I did not.. The key still turns without any noise from the fuel pump or engine.. I am guessing it has to do with some of the major damage done during the collision..

Update: Welding done, Rust resistant paint on, absorbers on, Main metal piece on and tray on as well as bumper. It's looking like a car again!

20150730_122332.jpg

20150730_121305.jpg

Before:
20150727_152636.jpg

After:
20150730_174034.jpg

Obviously I still have work to do on that hood. Or, even better, keep your eyes out for a California White flathood.. Thanks!!!

Emilio :)

Back