• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sad 93 wagon

Stykthyn

My son wrecked his 93 wagon. I believe it's salvageable and want to rebuild it. Clearly the upper radiator support needs to be replaced. I was told it bolts in but I am no do sure about that. Is there a good tutorial on how to remove and install one? I see plenty of build photos where it's been removed to make space to work.

Yes, it bolts in. There really is no need for a tutorial if you just go and look at it you’ll see the 10mm bolts you need to remove.

There isn’t a whole lot to it; find fasteners, then remove. The late model cars do have a couple spot welds holding the slam panel to the central uprights.

Thanks guys. Accident happened a few hundred mile away. Im waiting for the transport company to drop it off so I can really assess what's going on.

The core supports are one welded assembly starting in 1987-88. The entire section bolts in as said above. Volvo get smarter and attached the core support to the end of the fenders with pop rivets vs spot welds. This makes it super easy to replace the core support.

Upper Support

Hey Glad to hear your kiddo is ok. I have a 92 wagon and when I did the 7mgte swap, I drilled the spot welds through to kill two birds in one shot with the plan of putting it back together with nuts and bolts and it was easier than expected when I re installed the upper support.
happy new year and I hope the misfortune turns into a father son project
Take care
DZ:nod:

Remove headlights, turn signals and bumper. Then you will access to the entire panel. As mentioned the upper support is welded to the headlight backing plates which in turn is welded to lower support. On earlier cars it was 4 separate pieces.
s-l225.jpg

Where is the video Chris Ng made. Though an earlier car his time lapse is perfect for getting and idea about how to swap front ends.

Thanks for all the replies. Finally have the car back. Upper/ lower supports look fairly straightforward to remove. Pass inner fender it.s crumpled behind the turn lamp bucket. This is going to be the hardest part to fix. I'd post pics but I'm not allowed to yet. Will definitely be posting up more as the car progresses.

I fixed my daughter's 240 that tagged a guardrail fairly hard on the LF corner.

The inner fender was bent pretty well, but after taking the crumpled fender and rad support off - it was easy to pound back into shape. With all that other stuff out of the way it's not a complicated shape/structure. Plus it doesn't have to look all that good.

I think I got her's looking good and back on the road for about $300-ish. Junkyard bumper/fender/grille/headlights/rad support/rad/fender and a rattlecan of paint code matched paint from an online seller. I didn't bother to fix the A/C though, at that point I didn't have the tools to do that at home (vac pump and manifold gauges).

If it's not that bad, you can pull out the inner with a big tree or other solid immovable object, telephone pole, steel bollard etc. All you need is a come along and a body clamp like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1QS5CI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_69ngEbJQDG80R Pull the fender, hammer out the stress, party on. Use your new fender to line it up.

If it is crumpled much at all, definitely buy the clamp in that link. Those are incredibly useful in straightening out flat panels. You can also use them to grab stud gun studs and pull dents with precise control. No slide hammer action.

Scored a new to me fender and core support. Parts line up even with a damaged inner fender. Ordered the suggested clamp above although I think it may be better to cut out the damaged piece and replace it with a donor.

93 Volvo 250 https://imgur.com/gallery/sjtoGsw

Oh yeah she will pull right out.
Set of Harbor Freight body hammers and a come a long and you are in shape my friend!

Scored a new to me fender and core support. Parts line up even with a damaged inner fender. Ordered the suggested clamp above although I think it may be better to cut out the damaged piece and replace it with a donor.

Pull first and see what you end up with . I've straighten out inner aprons that were that crunched and everything lined up fine. If it doesn't, you can always cut it off and weld in a replacement section. Even if doing that, you'll want to use the damaged section to pull everything as close as possible before cutting it off.

Wow, nice work.

It's amazing how relatively simply these cars can sometimes be fixed - looking at what you started with.

Wow, nice work.

It's amazing how relatively simply these cars can sometimes be fixed - looking at what you started with.
Aside from pulling the old fender and core support I haven't done anything yet. Still sourcing a hood/pass light assembly. Body tools will be here this week. I normally cut/weld but the fender assembly on this runs under the shock tower and im hesitating to tackle something like that, sooooo we will pull and hammer first. All in we are under 100 dollars at this point. Hoping to be finished at 250ish

Back