• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oh no! 1993 Autotragic with cable to ignition switch

You should have said so initially. There's your problem. The cable won't stop you from turning off the car. It will stop you turn the switch far enough to remove the key. Those ignition switches IPD sells are pure garbage. It is made by MTC. One of my customers had a 940 ignition switch that was getting flaky and needed a new switch. I told him to buy a new switch from Volvo and I would install it for him. He insisted on saving the money and bought that MTC garbage, even after I told him if it fails for any reason, he will be paying me to install a new switch again. I would not guarantee the install of an MTC part. That piece of garbage lasted less than one day. He drove the car to work, couldn't shut it off, I explained to him over the phone how to kill it by pulling fuse #2. He disconnected the battery ground to keep from draining the battery while he was at work. He reversed the process to get home. Did the same. Did the same again to bring me the car to put in the new Volvo switch 2 days later. The internals of that switch just twisted up in to a chunk of junk. I'm betting that is what you are going to find, unfortunately.

Faaaaaaawwwwwkkkkk...

Wonder what IPD says? Rotsa ruck round eye?

They refunded my customer's money, no questions asked. I buy lots of parts from them though.

They said they'd credit the cost against a new one..Which is outta stock..

Wonder if Standard Electric---Stanparts---is any good?
I got the thing apart. it MAY be that the little plunger and spring were displaced..the lil detent thang...

I just checked the ignition switch turns super easy...no spring back from Start position>

Is the spring back in the "key part' or the switch part? Cause this thing doesn't spring back.

They said they'd credit the cost against a new one..Which is outta stock..

Wonder if Standard Electric---Stanparts---is any good?
I got the thing apart. it MAY be that the little plunger and spring were displaced..the lil detent thang...

I just checked the ignition switch turns super easy...no spring back from Start position>

Is the spring back in the "key part' or the switch part? Cause this thing doesn't spring back.

The return (clock spring) is in the switch. The lock should turn easily with no return mode.

I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
That cable to the key thing is industry wide it you have a floor shift- I think. A buddy has a Subaru and it throws this fit regularly

Key will not go to 0 position, so can't turn off the car..
It got a new IPD ignition switch 4-6 months ago...the Brand X one but never seen a switch you can't turn off..

Gee, that sounds familiar. Exactly familiar.
I'll quote from a January 2020 post of mine....

My first replacement ($70 Beck Arnley, Korea) lasted 9 months.
The second ($70 Beck Arnley, Korea) lasted 3 months.
The third ($120 "OEA", Czech Republic) is at 4-1/2 years and counting.

In mine, the spring-loaded ball bearing that provides the "detent" function by dropping into little divots on the inside of the pot metal cover had carved its divots a bit too deep (metal too soft) and refused to pop back out.

Here's the original Volvo one for reference. Failed with bad contacts after only 26 years:
open.jpg

Last edited:
You should have said so initially. There's your problem. The cable won't stop you from turning off the car. It will stop you turn the switch far enough to remove the key. Those ignition switches IPD sells are pure garbage. It is made by MTC. One of my customers had a 940 ignition switch that was getting flaky and needed a new switch. I told him to buy a new switch from Volvo and I would install it for him. He insisted on saving the money and bought that MTC garbage, even after I told him if it fails for any reason, he will be paying me to install a new switch again. I would not guarantee the install of an MTC part. That piece of garbage lasted less than one day. He drove the car to work, couldn't shut it off, I explained to him over the phone how to kill it by pulling fuse #2. He disconnected the battery ground to keep from draining the battery while he was at work. He reversed the process to get home. Did the same. Did the same again to bring me the car to put in the new Volvo switch 2 days later. The internals of that switch just twisted up in to a chunk of junk. I'm betting that is what you are going to find, unfortunately.

Thanks again 2many, that's at least the second time you've warned me about inferior parts. I appreciate your many insights. :nod:

Back