home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Jressman
Board Member

Default Volvo 240 oil pressure light at warm idle..

I have a 1993 240 wagon with 214k miles on it, and Iíve owned it since it had 167k miles and 6 years ago. I religiously change the oil every 3k miles and use only Volvo oil filters. Today just as I entered a grocery store parking lot the oil light illuminated. Never seen that before. Got my groceries and when I came back the light was on, but then turned off as I backed out of the parking space. About 4 miles later just as I got off the highway and was at a red light the light came back on. This is less than a mile from my house and the light flickered as I drove the rest of the way home. In my driveway I noticed if rev the motor to 2500 rpm the light goes away, and as the engine settles back into idle the oil light comes back on. In May I was planning on pulling the engine to reseal it because I have a leaky rear main, and Iím hoping I donít have to drop the pan right now. Iím picking up an oil pressure tester right using my wifeís car to check the pressure. Any ideas of what would cause the light at hot idle only? Iím really hoping itís the switch or the wiring to it..
Jressman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
jjona5
Board Member

Could be a bad sensor but oil pressure gets lower once the engine is heated up at lower RPMs because the engine has expanded and the oil is thinner at temperature. Could be a weak pump, weak bearings, or a bad sensor.
jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
white855T
Board Member

Oil pump seals could be worn and would require pan removal. The wiring is also frequently burned up because its so close to the engine.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Jressman
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Oil pump seals could be worn and would require pan removal. The wiring is also frequently burned up because its so close to the engine.
I am going to pull the sender and put a gauge in it. If the oil pump seals are bad, could the car be driven until first week in May where I plan on pulling the engine/trans for a complete reseal, or would I hose my engine?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
TestPoint
Board Member

The sensor closes at about 7psi which is way, way less than you need at any rpms.

Oil level correct? If low throw in some 40-50w oil or change it to 20-50w. That should get you through another month without any additional damage.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Jressman
Board Member

Update: I pulled the oil pressure switch and ran a mechanical oil pressure testing gauge. Car has been idling for about 15 mins and is at operating temperature and Iím seeing 25psi on the gauge. When I rev the motor at the throttle body, pressure jumps into the 60psi range. Is that alright? Iím going to let it idle a while longer and see if the pressure drops any more.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
11BC2
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jressman View Post
Update: I pulled the oil pressure switch and ran a mechanical oil pressure testing gauge. Car has been idling for about 15 mins and is at operating temperature and Iím seeing 25psi on the gauge. When I rev the motor at the throttle body, pressure jumps into the 60psi range. Is that alright? Iím going to let it idle a while longer and see if the pressure drops any more.
Replace the pressure sending unit.
11BC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
tiredoldtommy
Board Member

Yes, change the sender. Sounds like you have a very healthy motor.

----------------------------------------------
'03 C70 HPT drop top 95k (stylin cruiser)
'83 242 turbo, 305k (ridge runner)
'84 245 NA, 248k (hauler/tractor)
'66 New Yorker, 440 4bbl (needs a new home)
'84 244tic (project or parts? definitely parts)
tiredoldtommy is offline   Reply With Quote