home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Nickagriffin
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Central Virginia
Default Strong Gas Smell '89 245

Hey TB,

My 89 wagon smells pretty strongly of gas while its running but I don't see any drips or evidence of leaks anywhere. The gas mileage is also noticeably worse than my 240 sedan, but the sedan is a '92 and was recently rebuilt if that matters. It smells all the time not just when I fill it up, so I don't think its the filler breather thing, but I was wondering if this could be my fuel pressure regulator? I was also wondering if it could be the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the input
__________________
Nick
1992 Volvo 244
1989 Volvo 245
1999 Jeep Wrangler 4.0
Nickagriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #2
Dan
TQ>HP
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Superior, Montana
Default

Is it stronger in the engine compartment or in the rear compartment?
__________________
1985 Chevy TPI V8 740.

“We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission." Ayn Rand
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Nickagriffin
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Central Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Is it stronger in the engine compartment or in the rear compartment?
Definitely more from the rear. It seems like its running rich.
Nickagriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Dan
TQ>HP
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Superior, Montana
Default

If in the rear, check hoses going to filler from tank, they can crack/ break. Usually a big hose (filler) and a small hose (vent) that goes into filler neck. Also check at tank itself
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
Nickagriffin
Board Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Central Virginia
Default

I check it pretty often and I’ve never seen any evidence of leaks. It only smells when the car is running so that makes me think its running rich. It doesnt smell when I prime it and don’t start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If in the rear, check hoses going to filler from tank, they can crack/ break. Usually a big hose (filler) and a small hose (vent) that goes into filler neck. Also check at tank itself
Nickagriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #6
centason
Knipex=welfare queen
 
centason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft.Mill, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickagriffin View Post
I check it pretty often and I’ve never seen any evidence of leaks. It only smells when the car is running so that makes me think its running rich. It doesnt smell when I prime it and don’t start.
Check the top of the tank where the pump is inserted. Will have to pull back the carpet, etc. Check the connections and the piping going into the tank, along with the hoses. If there's rust, it may have rusted out and is leaking.
__________________
Member: TBCCS
"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.” -H.L. Mencken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
rb92673
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickagriffin View Post
Hey TB,

My 89 wagon smells pretty strongly of gas while its running but I don't see any drips or evidence of leaks anywhere. The gas mileage is also noticeably worse than my 240 sedan, but the sedan is a '92 and was recently rebuilt if that matters. It smells all the time not just when I fill it up, so I don't think its the filler breather thing, but I was wondering if this could be my fuel pressure regulator? I was also wondering if it could be the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the input
Some auto parts stores such as Autozone will loan you a fuel pressure tester. When my FPR was bad it smelled rich.
rb92673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
freevolvos
Board Member
 
freevolvos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: hillpoint
Default

My 240 smelled of gas but never leaked any gas on the ground however you could see a staining on the body and tank
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
dbarton
Dejected by Volvo
 
dbarton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North of Dallas
Default

On a couple of occasions I have had the same smell toward the rear of a 240. Years ago a Volvo tech told me to check the main pump hose between the tank and main fuel pump. The original main fuel hose was a cloth braided type and it's normally secured with hose clamps on the tank exit assembly at the top of the tank and also at the main fuel pump under the car. When this type of hose gets old and rotten, it will usually slowly begin to weep fuel. When weeping, it may begin slowly and the outer cloth braid may appear wet. This will cause such a fuel smell. If this hose is questionable, replace it, since it will only get worse with age.

The original main hose size is 12 mm ID. About 3 to 4 feet is needed. 12 mm hose is common in Europe, but not so common in the USA. 7/16 inch ID fuel hose is a close substitute if necessary (be sure to choose high-pressure fuel injection hose), however even 7/16 inch ID can be hard to find in auto parts stores sometimes, but not too hard on-line. Some people have used 3/8 inch hose, but I think it's too small and will be difficult to stretch onto the fittings.
Dave B

__________________


'84 242ti, owned since 2003. Always garaged since brand new. Old-school rounds because. B21FT, iPd Springs/Sways, SDS EFI/IGN, TD04HL-15G, T5Z trans with 0.73 OD retrofitted, 3.91 diff with G80.
Volvo seeks Divorce from Volvo Enthusiast Community: www.prancingmoose.com/#novolvo
Dave's Volvo Page: www.davebarton.com
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #10
forty2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
Default

I found 12mm-id hose here: https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-...mm-p-3723.html and ordered 2 meters to fix the choking fuel stink from my car's butt-end, even when it's not running.

They also have the old-skool Continental fabric-covered stuff if that matters but it's expensive and unnecessary.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 AM   #11
Dan
TQ>HP
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Superior, Montana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
I found 12mm-id hose here: https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-...mm-p-3723.html and ordered 2 meters to fix the choking fuel stink from my car's butt-end, even when it's not running.

They also have the old-skool Continental fabric-covered stuff if that matters but it's expensive and unnecessary.
Thanks, Good to know of this
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
cleanflametrap
Board Member
 
cleanflametrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: near baltimore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickagriffin View Post
I check it pretty often and I’ve never seen any evidence of leaks. It only smells when the car is running so that makes me think its running rich. It doesnt smell when I prime it and don’t start.
Last time I encountered this (also on an 89 245) I found the rodents had made a hole in the nylon line from filter to fuel rail. Worth having a look underneath (running the pumps with a jumper) before engaging in more internet speculations.




__________________
-Art
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.