home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #1
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Default HID headlights

I searched TB. Been reading various sites. There are so many companies that offer HID conversion kits it's overwhelming.

Seems like color in the 5k range is ideal, unless we want that cool blue (and who doesn't) toward the 10k color temp. I read that they run cooler (actual temp) than halogen, use less current and produce more light. So far so good. And they do that cool "pause" thing on start up.

Ballasts. Canbus? Other?

All HID's are Xenon gas?

Favorite kits?

H1 bulbs?

Any input would be appreciated.
Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
84B23F
Board Member

OEM setup on 1993-245 works fine, but I would consider E-Code Headlight Kit from FCP, which they just received.

A previous thread on this topic can be found here.

If more light is needed, maybe driving lamps below.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland
Thumbs up

Warm traditional yellowy halogen light ~3200k is better for seeing shapes in cool damp foggy weather and focusing the beam, just sayin’.

Unless you desire every bit of fog/water droplet imaginable to reflect back at you and stress your eyes out while you likely run over the pedestrian dressed in all black/dark blue in a memorable looking car with cop-magnet blue ricer lights in Portland’s (ever more) nimby ex-urbs, give the blue(er) lights a miss?

Also, presumably you mean LED replacements?
The pattern won’t ever be as good as a halogen is in a halogen lamp.
That said, less current draw and heat can be advantageous (thonthe snow won’t melt off them without heated washers/wipers (a possible self-inflicted first world problem to solve/another excuse for the wife as to why you’re always in the garage/hanging out with us dorks), but you can leave the lights on longer before draining the battery and in theory never again replace a halogen bulb.

Xenons are passé and akin to installing fluorescents in your house .
As is typically the case, generic digital & lighting technology & products for automotive apps is usually yesterday’s technology heavily marked up.

Knowing & logically following that to its extreme, insistance on buying all cars used as well as (nearly) every single part would make the most ecological and fiscal sense.

So, patience & Give it a couple years you’re likely to find/trip over some 9004 LED replacements in the boneyard or your usual haunts in car modding dorkdom?

Already tripped over a set in a crusher-bound disposable Audi douche-mobile/colvoluted kraut-can in 9007 flavor and passed them to a friend (all my junk is too old to take 9007s) for cheap/trade.
Shoulda thought of you...wife’s mini probably takes 9007s if it doesn’t already have fluorescent style xenon HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.

Last edited by Kjets On a Plane; 03-12-2019 at 01:14 AM..
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
(a possible self-inflicted first world problem to solve/another excuse for the wife as to why you’re always in the garage/hanging out with us dorks)

So true!!!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
OEM setup on 1993-245 works fine.

Huh, I did not know that.

Great e-code link / thx.

Last edited by LC4CARL; 03-12-2019 at 09:49 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
Texas240
Prius Owner

modified stock 240 with FX35 projectors
Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Well, yeah, I thought of that...

Sounds pretty sweet.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
I searched TB. Been reading various sites. There are so many companies that offer HID conversion kits it's overwhelming.

Seems like color in the 5k range is ideal, unless we want that cool blue (and who doesn't) toward the 10k color temp. I read that they run cooler (actual temp) than halogen, use less current and produce more light. So far so good. And they do that cool "pause" thing on start up.

Ballasts. Canbus? Other?

All HID's are Xenon gas?

Favorite kits?

H1 bulbs?

Have eBay special kits in both cars. Have worked fine for a couple of years now. They're all Chinabay so whichever seller looks decent is fine.

3400k is the OEM temp for bmw/vw/mercedes. It produces the most light at the whites temp. Higher temps will have more color and less light.

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #9
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Huh, I did not know that.
Yes, Volvo/Cibie's engineers designed good headlamps, but if full current is not provided by positive/negative wires, a new OEM headlamp set will not perform as expected.

GM would insert a resistor wire, which reduces current flow, but if "pure" 12 volts is sent from the battery, there will be a higher light output, but bulbs will burn out sooner.

My 93-245 has mint OEM headlamps, and sincerely, they work fine.

Back in seventies, I used the equivalent of an e-code on a motorcycle, which directs output light in distinct areas. On level surfaces...good...when transitioning to uphill grade, coverage area is reduced during transition. Point here, light output is focused, and much better than standard US approved lights.

Hence, clean up your grounds/hots first...
Old 03-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous3 View Post
Have eBay special kits in both cars. Have worked fine for a couple of years now. They're all Chinabay so whichever seller looks decent is fine.

3400k is the OEM temp for bmw/vw/mercedes. It produces the most light at the whites temp. Higher temps will have more color and less light.

Worth the effort?

Thx.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
Hence, clean up your grounds/hots first...

You mean "maintenance?" I've heard of this...

Great advice.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #12
photoman327
Board Member

Quote:

Ballasts. Canbus? Other?

All HID's are Xenon gas?

Favorite kits?

H1 bulbs?

DON'T run the hid's. They will ruin the reflectors in those new ecodes. I ran them for year in my 87 244 and a friend told me about the problem of HID's and when i looked at the reflectors, they were junk.
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
cwdodson88
Board Member

Drop in led from China here, 5k, but actually more like 6 or 7k and they’re great but high and low beam are not very different. Have a set in the 122 with amber sleeves as well, they’re great in the round bucket but same deal in a square one, hi and low beam are hardly different from the driver seat.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #14
Kestrel
Board Member

E-Codes with good H4 bulbs and rewiring higher gauge with relays is really all you need to do on these cars. If you need extra, add more lights.

The drop in H4 LED stuff can be questionable. While LEDs are no doubt the future of lighting, there's quite a bit of deception online in typical Chinese bulbs when it come to true output. Don't believe what you see on the box... And even then, only recently have manufacturers gotten better at correctly mimicking an H4 bulb's filament position in the housing, which is critical to good light output.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #15
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Gracious.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
84B23F
Board Member

Via another forum post...sniped...OEM lights have resistance wiring so light output is based upon some alternator voltage output.

These numbers are just calculations, not measurements so YMMV. They should be very close, though.

At 12V, a 55W light should use 4.58 amps. That means it has an effective resistance of 2.618Ω with the filament at operating temperature.

Using this resistance as a constant for the light bulb, we can calculate how much power the light will have when the voltage is reduced or increased. Formula is
P=((V²)/R) so as you can see, the voltage component has an exponential effect on power.

14V - 74W - 134% of nominal power
13V - 64W - 116%
12V - 55W - 100% (Nominal Power rating)
11V - 46W - 84%
10V - 38W - 69%

As this shows, ANY voltage drop in the headlights wiring will dramatically reduce the power of the headlights. Tungsten Halogen bulbs will get dimmer and more yellow as the power is reduced.

Using #12AWG wire and heavy duty relays will allow a voltage drop of much less than 1V. This can bring the voltage up so that the power is in that 116 to 134% range - without any 'illegal' light bulbs, solid state voltage boost converters, or other nonsense.

The result is brilliant, piercing, white light that will really light up the countryside. The high beams will command respect from oncoming motorists who don't dim theirs and get a flash from yours.
========================

Hence, clean up grounds/hots, or have dim lights with older vehicles.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Awesome.