home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240-FAN View Post
That dramatic of a change in MPG just from cleaning the injectors??
My NA 240 has never cracked 23mpg even if I'm just going 70-75mph on the freeway
Well, if your injectors are unevenly clogged, you'll have cylinders running rich and others running lean. The O2 sensor just senses overall exhaust mixture, not individual cylinders. Efficiency drops big time when injectors are using a lot of gas ~2.7K rpm highway

The shop that flow tested them thought there was a chance they couldn't be saved.
It went like this...

Flow test
Tech: "Mother of god"
Ultrasonic clean
Flow test
Tech: "I don't know if these are gonna clear up. They're still really bad"
Another Ultrasonic clean
Flow test
Tech: "oh wow they're pretty good now"
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
IansPlatinum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #27
xactorocker
Board Member

Question

Mis Post
xactorocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #28
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xactorocker View Post
So i took the wagon on the trip one of you suggested taking it up in the north Georgia mountains. I took backroads up there from Decatur. I ended up getting around 21mpg. I could have squeezed out a bit more. But I went and putted around some forest service roads in first gear. Does this seem like ok gas mileage or should I still be looking for a problem? Thank you
Like I said, I was getting 23 pure highway before injector cleaning. I'd also do a compression test and start there. It's relatively cheap. or buy a spare set of injectors from the FS thread from mblue242 or whatever his name is.

Compression? good?
Fuel injection? good?
Spark? good?

Those are like the three main ingredients. After that you can start looking into coolant temp sensors, O2 sensors, and other electronic crap that could affect it
IansPlatinum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #29
xactorocker
Board Member

So i took the wagon on the trip one of you suggested taking it up in the north Georgia mountains. I took backroads up there from Decatur. I ended up getting around 21mpg. I could have squeezed out a bit more. But I went and putted around some forest service roads in first gear. Does this seem like ok gas mileage or should I still be looking for a problem? Thank you
Old 03-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #30
freevolvos
Board Member

3 miles a day I bet it never really warms up, I never got better than mid 20'sin my 240 on the highway 11 city driving and never warming up isn't too bad, probably just gets into open loop when its shut off
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #31
xactorocker
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freevolvos View Post
3 miles a day I bet it never really warms up, I never got better than mid 20'sin my 240 on the highway 11 city driving and never warming up isn't too bad, probably just gets into open loop when its shut off
Yea seems about right it's really around 4 miles round trip so like 2 morning 2 afternoon. so yea I'm not going to worry about it it seems fine. Thank you
Old 03-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #32
freevolvos
Board Member

Mine was driven like that change your oil waaau more often as fuel dilution and acids build up in your oil, this will eventually lead to a bearing failure, In my case it was the thrust bearing, I have a thread on it, how long will it last lol. once a week jump on the highway for ten miles or so, fuel dilution, acids, and moisture will be your biggest enemy,
freevolvos is offline   Reply With Quote