home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
paulcurran
Board Member

Default 94 940 ecodes adjusters

I put a set of Euro headlights & having trouble adjusting the beams. These are TYC brand made in Taiwan sold by Swedish Car Parts. There are 3 adjusters on each (high beam, low beam,& fogs) but they don't seem to do much. the adjusters move but don't change the height. Anyone else run into this?
paulcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Fa182
Stage 1

On my OEM ones, the adjusters need to be turned quite a lot to make any difference. The adjustment is very fine.
If they are indeed not moving, you can take the glass off held on by the 6 clips and have a look inside the housing if something's wrong, you just need to take the reflector out (don't touch the reflective surface though, it's very delicate!).

I noticed the same thing as you, but after actually opening them up, it just turned out I didn't turn the adjusters enough.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #3
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcurran View Post
I put a set of Euro headlights & having trouble adjusting the beams. These are TYC brand made in Taiwan sold by Swedish Car Parts. There are 3 adjusters on each (high beam, low beam,& fogs) but they don't seem to do much. the adjusters move but don't change the height. Anyone else run into this?
I bought a set of TYC a while back and had the same issue - the lights pointed straight down. Open it up and check around inside, and see if the reflector buckets flop back and forth. On mine, the part of the reflector that connects to the vertical adjusting mechanism had snapped clean off on both, and Iím willing to bet this is your issue. Youíll have to strip it apart to repair it. (I ended up finding and restoring an OEM Volvo set from Poland.)
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Exactly, per both prior posts.

It takes many many turns to effect any change.

Also as the Fox states, the copies disassemble themselves. You can carefully disassembly and then lubricate the fine pitch threads with white grease. The set of TAIWAN E-codes did have a peculiar disfunction to adjust....... the OEM are best quality.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Fa182
Stage 1

When the headlight glass broke on my driver side headlight, I did buy TYC brand glass as the OEM one costs an arm and a leg and both are pretty much the same quality (well it's a one piece glass after all, so not much to screw up there) but yes, the TYC housings themselves are a bit of hit or miss.
Fa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
stiligFox
Part-time Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa182 View Post
When the headlight glass broke on my driver side headlight, I did buy TYC brand glass as the OEM one costs an arm and a leg and both are pretty much the same quality (well it's a one piece glass after all, so not much to screw up there) but yes, the TYC housings themselves are a bit of hit or miss.
Yup, TYC glass is pretty darn good (although there is a noticeable difference in the molding of the fresneling; the TYC is not as crisp). Iíve been using TYC glass for a few years now happily!
stiligFox is offline   Reply With Quote